Golfers Thread

Gaz

26 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Lot of players sweating on the cut line, 11 players currently tied at -1, but if one more player gets to -2 then the rest of the guys on -1 will miss out.

Not looking good for those on -1 

Yep bang on 65 players making the cut.
Luke List got up and down from a bunker for a birdie at the last and then Scott Harrington up and down for a par to make sure those on one under didn't make it.
I've always found it strange that the PGA tour cut mark is an odd number when they are going to play 2 balls at the weekend. I know a lot of the time it works out ok due to it being 65 +ties, but odd that if it works out as designed them somebody has to play with a marker.

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Hit the best 5 wood of my life today. Went like an absolute bullet on line all the way, before pitching on a sprinkler head and shooting off at right angles and bouncing through the wire fence to end up about 8 inches OB.

I then got jagged by nettles picking it up. Raging.

I did this on Thursday as well bizarrely. About 240 out, absolutely striped it and it went like a laser and smashed off the flag and ended up off the green to the right.

Billy Horschel with an all time great par on the par 3 17th there. 
In the water with his tee shot then slam dunks his 3rd shot in via the flag stick. 

My mate has never had a hole in one, but has done this twice, once when I was there. It was incredible, the first seconds were rowdy delight, before the realisation struck. Needless to say the second his face dropped I absolutely fucking pissed myself [emoji23]

Joined Kemnay on Wednesday (still a member of Golspie but didn’t have one down here), so away to have my first swing there in an hour. Not played it in a couple of years, but very good course and very much looking forward to it. Three mates have joined too, so perfect numbers for games this year.

Bob was treading water for most of today's round, but 3 birdies in 4 holes got him to -2 for the day, before a dropped shot on 17 pegged him back to -6 overall. Currently T29th but well placed to have a good run at a top 20 finish tomorrow.

1 minute ago, peasy23 said:

Bob was treadong water for most of today's round, but 3 birdies in 4 holes got him to -2 fir the day, before a dropped shot on 17 pegged him back to -6 overall. Currently T29th but well placed to have a good run at a top 20 finish tomorrow.

Keeping his powder dry for a run at the Glencruiten course record next week. 

Played yesterday, started badly, had a decent run of holes in the middle, then fucked it towards the end and eventually NR'd.

Some folk just can't get their head around the new system. Guy I was playing with kept moaning about how there is no longer a buffer to play for (which is true tbf), but he also kept saying he would automatically go up 0.1. Gave up trying to explain that it only affects his handicap if one of his best 8 rounds dropped out of his most recent 20 played.

Played yesterday, started badly, had a decent run of holes in the middle, then fucked it towards the end and eventually NR'd.

Some folk just can't get their head around the new system. Guy I was playing with kept moaning about how there is no longer a buffer to play for (which is true tbf), but he also kept saying he would automatically go up 0.1. Gave up trying to explain that it only affects his handicap if one of his best 8 rounds dropped out of his most recent 20 played.

Yep I was giving an on course tutorial re the new system to a mate yesterday. I played pretty well again. 36 points. It will keep my handicap index the same (9.1) I would think as an identical good score is about to drop out of my most recent twenty rounds.

I actually prefer the new handicap system 
Biggest confusion at the moment seems to be guys struggling to get their head around the difference between your handicap index, course handicap, and playing handicap.

I don't have a problem with the new system, ultimately if you shoot better scores it goes down, but at probably a slower rate rather get walloped by a stroke or two at a time if you shoot a really low score.

Seems really straightforward to me. I’ve only submitted 3 cards so handicap will fluctuate quite wildly until I get to a reasonable number of general play cards submitted.

Only thing I’m not sure about is when submitting a general play score on the app, so you need to tell the starter beforehand and still hand in a physical card as well? Or is it literally just do it through the app and no other interaction required?

21 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Seems really straightforward to me. I’ve only submitted 3 cards so handicap will fluctuate quite wildly until I get to a reasonable number of general play cards submitted.

Only thing I’m not sure about is when submitting a general play score on the app, so you need to tell the starter beforehand and still hand in a physical card as well? Or is it literally just do it through the app and no other interaction required?

From the stuff our handicap sec sent out, it seems you need a physical card for a comp but not a gen play. I'll definitely be confirming this with the pro before I play one though.