Golfers Thread

Gaz

Niemann out after the first playoff hole after he overshot the green, easy par for Merritt. Davis had a very good birdie chance but it didn't even scare the hole on it's way past. Davis and Merritt head to the par 3 15th.

Quarter final match for me tonight in the handicap match play. Giving the boy 7 shots. Think the mindset will be to try only lose 3 of the holes at worst and capitalise on any of his mistakes. My putting drastically needs to improve from the weekend 

16 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Anyone go in for the ballot for St Andrews next year, the 150th Open? I’ve applied for 4 Saturday tickets which they are pricing at £95 each, which I think is 25 odd quid dearer than the last Open at St Andrews I was at, the year it went on to the Monday. 

Gone for the Saturday and Sunday. It’s a bit annoying that you need to take all the tickets or not, although I understand it. I’d be able to get folk along I’m sure, but the risk of putting out 100s if you get picked is a bit annoying. 

9 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Quarter final match for me tonight in the handicap match play. Giving the boy 7 shots. Think the mindset will be to try only lose 3 of the holes at worst and capitalise on any of his mistakes. My putting drastically needs to improve from the weekend 

A 4&3 win!! Should have probably wrapped it up earlier but had a shaky spell losing 3 straight holes from 5-7. Played a nice back 9 though and was 1+ (Through 6)  when I won. 

Question as a beginner - I've now got a membership for the South Ayrshire Golf courses but they only take tee time bookings from 7am. If I fancied playing 9 holes before work earlier than that (about 5:30am), is there a problem with me doing so? Is this frowned upon? Would the greenkeeper verbally assault me?

12 hours ago, The Golden God said:

Anyone got any interest in this DeChambeau and Aaron Rodgers v Mickleson and Brady event? Not watching but following on twitter, Brady and Phil are winning and also seem to have much better patter.

Not surprised to hear that BdC isn't much of a laugh.

3 hours ago, Slacker said:

Question as a beginner - I've now got a membership for the South Ayrshire Golf courses but they only take tee time bookings from 7am. If I fancied playing 9 holes before work earlier than that (about 5:30am), is there a problem with me doing so? Is this frowned upon? Would the greenkeeper verbally assault me?

As ridiculous as it sounds, I think the principal issue is the Track & Trace register the club have to maintain. You'll certainly have to be playing round the greens staff if you're out at that time but provided you're not putting them in mortal danger I'd say email the secretary requesting your early tee time and see the response you get. If positive, I reckon they'll thne just ask you to email in advance to confirm future tee-off times/dates and that way they've fulfilled their T&T obligations.

At my course there is a group who go out through the week at 5am, our booking starts at 7am too, go up whenever you want you've paid your fees you might not get access to the club house at that time tho

**Fantasy Golf Week 25+26**

IMG_20210704_110503.jpg.56d6fdf5835da8e22e55f68eaf56e0d9.jpg

Full English (and Irish)

A tremendously fun packed double update he says, trying to make out it's deliberate, rather than the fact he just left it too late to post it up last week.

4 tournaments to cover, The Rocket Mortgage in Detroit and the Irish Open at Mt. Juliet last week amassed a grand total of 36 points for the fantasy league, so maybe the double update isn't such a bad idea. The week before was better, with Harris English claiming a 2nd win of the season, and the baby faced assassin Viktor Hovland winning in Germany to surely cement a Ryder Cup debut. This meant a much needed bonus for @J_Stewart who has both in his side, and stops his Tony Finau style slide down the leaderboard.

Overall Standings 

1232 @die hard doonhamer

1141 @J_Stewart

1094 @Tartan Dave

1084 @alta-pete

1054 @Frank Sobotka

1021 @lichtie23

1005 @peasy23

950 @Ro Sham Bo

946 @Honest_Man#1

927 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

770 @Distant Doonhamer

The Race to Whistling Straits table 

584 @die hard doonhamer

530 @Honest_Man#1

508 @peasy23

498 @Frank Sobotka

492 @Tartan Dave

466 @J_Stewart

460 @Ro Sham Bo

446 @alta-pete

436 @lichtie23

366 @Distant Doonhamer

230 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

Renaissance-IMG_5347-1024x682.thumb.jpg.a8340dbe6daff11e124bdd6bd6f92b0a.jpg

We'll get the diddy stuff out of the way first. It's the John Deere Classic on the PGA, where competitors will look for the perfect tune up to the Open next week by playing *checks notes* a piss easy, soft parkland track ?? Bryson and Phil are warming up by playing each other and a couple of NFL lads in The Match.

Of course the real action this week takes place on our doorstep with the abrdn Scottish Open at The Renaissance Club, next door to Muirfield. A hybrid links course designed by Tom Doak who is, alongside the Coore and Crenshaw partnership, arguably the greatest modern golf course architect. A fantastic field lines up here too, with yours truly on site to dish out the 1.5x bonus points before the big one next week.

merlin_157307667_f7b4b1ef-0fa6-40c5-9ebd-5416157e117b-jumbo.thumb.jpg.c37ef56aa58b369a72bbcd03872c3b16.jpg

Played in the midweek medal last night at Ladybank, defending a Top 8 score (differential of 8.3). Broke 40 on both 9s, which is always my baseline target, for a +7 round and a 5.2 score differential - pleasingly, this gave me a 0.4 reduction in my Handicap Index, exactly the same cut as the old system. Hurrah! Oh, and a 3rd place for my first prize-winning round of the season, and could've been better but for a double and a triple at fairly straightforward holes (both caused by slightly wayward drives into Position Z).

The new sticks are lovely to play, but (as predicted) it's the Vokey wedges making the difference - I reckon I made 6 up-and-down par/bogey saves which just kept the momentum going, and 3 of those were tap-ins. At least 2 maybe 3 shots gained, I reckon.

1 hour ago, funky_nomad said:

Played in the midweek medal last night at Ladybank, defending a Top 8 score (differential of 8.3). Broke 40 on both 9s, which is always my baseline target, for a +7 round and a 5.2 score differential - pleasingly, this gave me a 0.4 reduction in my Handicap Index, exactly the same cut as the old system. Hurrah! Oh, and a 3rd place for my first prize-winning round of the season, and could've been better but for a double and a triple at fairly straightforward holes (both caused by slightly wayward drives into Position Z).

The new sticks are lovely to play, but (as predicted) it's the Vokey wedges making the difference - I reckon I made 6 up-and-down par/bogey saves which just kept the momentum going, and 3 of those were tap-ins. At least 2 maybe 3 shots gained, I reckon.

Well played.

Played at Ladybank last week. It was in superb condition.

I've managed to get my handicap index down to 6.6 from 9.6 at the start of the season. Pleasing.

That said I currently have a score differential of 2.9 at number 19 of my top most recent 20 scores so an increase will likely be incoming soon.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer