Golfers Thread

Gaz

The Saudi Golf League is actually happening then. Greg Norman as commissioner, using Trump courses, rumoured a guaranteed $50-150 million to some of the high profile names before they've even hit a shot.

Big changes ahead.

13 hours ago, Tommy Carcetti said:

The Saudi Golf League is actually happening then. Greg Norman as commissioner, using Trump courses, rumoured a guaranteed $50-150 million to some of the high profile names before they've even hit a shot.

Big changes ahead.

I'm looking forward to seeing who breaks ranks and how the PGA tour deals with them. 

15 hours ago, cas79 said:
On 28/10/2021 at 16:43, Caledonian1 said:
Playing the Old Course on Saturday for the first time (success in the ballot)
Pretty excited about it and forecast looks ok - 11c with 13mph.
Appreciate that it is not the best course I will have played but really looking forward to the iconic holes and seeing if I can do a Tiger and stay out of all the bunkers (tough task and quite frankly with my record of sandy's oer the past few years maybe best going in them)
Our group play off 4, 8, 9 (me) and 14...what tees should we play off?  Want to enter this as a General Play so that it is my last counting round of the year.

Iv missed out twice in the ballot might give it one last chance not wanting to play on mats tho

We played the last day without mats (30th October) and today is first day on mats as closed Sun and Mon

Was poised to enter my 21st Tassie (Carnoustie - 6 days) last night at 5pm but their new entry system crashed (this happens every year they try something new) and it is postponed until next Monday night.  They have moved the event from September to early May (assuming they can make more money from paying guests in September)  but increased number of entrants to 350 as more light.  Usually need to get entry in within 3 minutes.

Was about to put the clubs away in a cupboard last night but they are still too wet after an abandoned round on Sunday - far too wet and no area on greens suitable for putting....all the holes full of water too.

ah well only 5 months to go........

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I'm looking forward to seeing who breaks ranks and how the PGA tour deals with them. 

I'm not sure there's much the PGA can do without opening up a huge legal or court of arbitration can of worms. Even if they can kick them off the PGA Tour, they won't be able to stop them playing in majors or WGC's and invitationals.

These will be sanctioned Asian Tour events, which count towards OWGR.

With Sunday’s final competition being washed out Iv officially finished 3rd in my clubs Order of Merit. I also made the semi finals of the scratch and handicap match play comps. After a 20 year break from the game I’m absolutely delighted with my first full and competitive season back that included 2 competition victories. Started the season at 14.1 and finish it at 10.5. I love this game gents

**Fantasy Golf Week 42**

IMG_20211103_155028.jpg.6dd0809e71e5c541600e68c3ea4fa7ed.jpg

Lucas sHerbert

A bit of a slow week lads, as you can see from the effort above. Lucas Herbert won The Bermuda Championship, his 2nd win of the year and a 1st PGA Tour win. He gets a 2 year exemption and a place at the Masters. Cheatin' Paddy Reed came 2nd and was the only pick who scored points.

Overall Standings 

The quiet week suits long time leader @die hard doonhamer, with only 3 weeks to go now.

2245 @die hard doonhamer

1972 @lichtie23

1966 @peasy23

1954 @Tartan Dave

1940 @Ro Sham Bo

1777 @alta-pete

1754 @J_Stewart

1653 @Tommy Carcetti

1629 @Honest_Man#1

1543 @Mr Kane and the lemon cafe

1428 @Distant Doonhamer

vilamoura-victoria_6fc48359-8449-4bca-b246-b00d48730de7.jpg.0d785f3f133e879b64715b3d57da4a25.jpg

A much busier week this week. We're staying with the package holiday destinations and heading to the Algarve for the Portugal Masters at the Arnold Palmer designed Dom Pedro Victoria Course. We'll no doubt be joined by The Met's Missing Persons squad as they take a week earned break from searching for Maddie.

golf_carousel-01.thumb.jpg.fb2e0cd3a5d2c023a5cb3bc00b24e832.jpg

Also playing resort golf in a holiday destination is the PGA Tour. Another week away from the US, we're in Mexico for the (takes deep breath) World Wide Technology Championship at Myakoba. El Camaleón, The Chameleon is the Greg Norman designed venue, a banger that winds it's way through jungle, mangroves and the oceanfront, with subterranean limestone caves incorporated as bunkers and water hazards.

Lowest scoring Fantasy League participant gets a visit from the Cartel.

dannytrejo-2000x1270-1.thumb.jpg.9e013ce74b4c62f6fc8782572af4d101.jpg

Got to play the Queens course at Gleneagles today, first time having only played the Kings before. Was in excellent condition and great fun. Quite short, especially the back 9, which considering I have a dodgy elbow and the sun was setting rapidly, suited just fine. Some unreal scenery as well. Shot an 82, so happy enough considering the above.

6076e90f77a421c3cdaae748586c0277.jpg
00737f10c8a4bb21a0d4541effccbd39.jpg
12c6daa2a9520b63a6f55ec6c71de0a2.jpg
6f5ab7e76486e2e95cdd12029dfc7399.jpg
bb312b37e2d59e63f22e3748fe665bc9.jpg
2ecfda4ff995d0f95c7940fb35304ffb.jpg

That last pic is awesome……just a pity there’s 3 lads ruining it! 

was it winter tee’s, greens or mats?

The first green was winter, the rest were all full course and in very good condition. No mats at all., fully open course bar that first green. Weather was perfect for it too considering it’s the start of November. An absolute bargain at £80.

Me and a mate are looking at doing a golfing weekend abroad next year, looking online at Spain or Portugal and there's plenty of deals, look to get 2 rounds on decent courses for about £300, accommodation included. Is it much of a pain getting your clubs over to these places in one piece? I've never put clubs on a flight before but can only picture some hungover bam at Glasgow airport lobbing my clubs about like a pillow as he loads them up. 

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I preferred Queens to Kings tbh. Not as difficult but found it a lot more enjoyable.

Hard to properly compare for me as the first 6 holes at the Kings was absolutely torrential, which made it far, far less enjoyable, whereas yesterday was lovely all day. Think that's a fair assessment though, Kings more of a challenge, but Queens more fun to play.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Me and a mate are looking at doing a golfing weekend abroad next year, looking online at Spain or Portugal and there's plenty of deals, look to get 2 rounds on decent courses for about £300, accommodation included. Is it much of a pain getting your clubs over to these places in one piece? I've never put clubs on a flight before but can only picture some hungover bam at Glasgow airport lobbing my clubs about like a pillow as he loads them up. 

I've taken my clubs to various parts of Scandinavia the last 4 or 5 years, and never had an issue. Not even sure I know of anyone who has.

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

Hard to properly compare for me as the first 6 holes at the Kings was absolutely torrential, which made it far, far less enjoyable, whereas yesterday was lovely all day. Think that's a fair assessment though, Kings more of a challenge, but Queens more fun to play.

I've taken my clubs to various parts of Scandinavia the last 4 or 5 years, and never had an issue. Not even sure I know of anyone who has.

If you are allowed one bag in the hold  (say up to 23KG) then just put all your clothes in your outer golf bag - protects the clubs too, and carry hand luggage for anything you need as soon as you arrive.  Never had any issues with this.

Bob MacIntyre shot an 82 in Portugal today including two 8s on the card. 
He really seems to have lost his form completely at the moment. 
Had a half decent first two rounds but a dismal weekend.

Warren closed with an 81 that included a 10.

A poor back 9 cost Grant Forrest a top 20 finish.

Richard Bland had another top 10, taking him to a win, 2 third places, and 6 other top 10s for the season. He's 8th in the rankings and the only players above him are guys who mainly play in the states and take part in things like the WGC events that Bland doesn't. He's had a phenomenal year at the age of 48.

On 07/11/2021 at 17:07, Ro Sham Bo said:

Bob MacIntyre shot an 82 in Portugal today including two 8s on the card. 

He really seems to have lost his form completely at the moment. 

Bob’s form has fallen off a cliff in recent months. He spoke about it a while back and said he was struggling to sort it and was considering taking a break but I’m not sure he actually took a break?