Golfers Thread

Gaz

Really can't wait to get back playing in April. Hopefully join Monifieth again for the coming season having moved back up to Dundee in December. Also got a couple of free rounds on the Dukes to use through work - really looking forward to that.

Hopefully its a good summer so I can get out a few nights after work. Maybe look into a new driver as well at some point.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Phoenix

Stableford competition last weekend.

12 points front nine - awful.

21 points back nine.- pleasing.

2 at the tenth turns out to be the only one in 2nd class - £150.00!

Result!

Played dalmahoy this morning, git a voucher off group on for a fourball for £100. Have to say i wouldn't have been happy if i had paid the full price.

Played ok but going to have to invest in a new set of irons. I'm really struggling with the 6,5,4 and 3 and its costing me quite a few shots every round. I don't feel i can get any more distance of the ground than hitting a good 7. Possibly just need a couple lessons but ive tried my mates newer irons and can hit them.

Looking to bring my handicap down to single figures this year so going to have to try sonething

Played dalmahoy this morning, git a voucher off group on for a fourball for £100. Have to say i wouldn't have been happy if i had paid the full price.

Played ok but going to have to invest in a new set of irons. I'm really struggling with the 6,5,4 and 3 and its costing me quite a few shots every round. I don't feel i can get any more distance of the ground than hitting a good 7. Possibly just need a couple lessons but ive tried my mates newer irons and can hit them.

Looking to bring my handicap down to single figures this year so going to have to try sonething

Just picked up my new irons this morning. Was looking at the new X Hot range, maybe the TM Speedblades, that soon went out the window the minute I tried the Cobra Baffler XL, unbelievably easy to hit, great distance and most importantly for me, more consistent with my hits. If you are looking for new irons, I would recommend you trying these. Won't break the bank either, 5,6,7,8,9,PW,GW and SW, was supposed to be £440 but the place I had the custom fit, they deduct the £40 cost from the new clubs, so £400.

Ive got a set of Mizuno mx1000 just now and i will probably stick with the same brand. I fancy the Jpx825s although I'm going to try a set of Yonexs on Wednesday night. What I'm thinking of doing is only getting a 5-9 as i like my wedges and im considering a hybrid to replace my 3 and 4 iron.

Its always been a weak point in my game and it infuriates me sometime. I might try get a couple lessons only with ling irons and see if i can improve.

Ive got a set of Mizuno mx1000 just now and i will probably stick with the same brand. I fancy the Jpx825s although I'm going to try a set of Yonexs on Wednesday night. What I'm thinking of doing is only getting a 5-9 as i like my wedges and im considering a hybrid to replace my 3 and 4 iron.

Its always been a weak point in my game and it infuriates me sometime. I might try get a couple lessons only with ling irons and see if i can improve.

I have a mate who is playing with the JPX825s, he says they are fantastic clubs. When I bought my new driver last year, you got a free hybrid with it, they didn't have a 3 hybrid left in the store, so I just took the 4 hybrid not thinking I would use it.....I haven't hit a 4 iron since, the hybrids have improved my game hugely.

That's the season back underway.

Played plenty golf over the winter but I toiled on my first medal and got 0.1 back for my troubles. Saturday was our 2nd medal and a much better 18 holes finishing two under and getting me a nice cut

First trip away tomorrow. Playing King's Acre in the afternoon near Edinburgh. Looking forward to it, meant to be really nice weather. Anyone played it before?

First trip away tomorrow. Playing King's Acre in the afternoon near Edinburgh. Looking forward to it, meant to be really nice weather. Anyone played it before?

Played it a few times but not recently. Seem to remember a couple tricky holes. If the weather is nice ill probably try get a game in the afternoon somewhere.

King's Acre was a lovely course. Nice day for it, dry but a bit windy. Got off to a horror start with a 7 at the first for duffing three chips in a row! Gutted. But played reasonably well. On the 15th my mate told me the hole doglegged to the left so I aimed to the right. Turns out he'd been holding the scorecard upside down and it doglegged to the right, and I'd spanked it out of bounds! But a great wee day out.

First medal of the season today. Looking forward to it.

Played the two courses at Monifeith last weekend. First real hit of the season due to work but I really enjoyed it.

Monifieth greens in April are not great, but from June - October will be amongst the best in the country.

King's Acre was a lovely course. Nice day for it, dry but a bit windy. Got off to a horror start with a 7 at the first for duffing three chips in a row! Gutted. But played reasonably well. On the 15th my mate told me the hole doglegged to the left so I aimed to the right. Turns out he'd been holding the scorecard upside down and it doglegged to the right, and I'd spanked it out of bounds! But a great wee day out.

First medal of the season today. Looking forward to it.

There's an internal out of bounds to the right on the 15th - you need to be a big hitter to cut the corner.

How was it for water? The last few years a lot of the holes have been really heavy, particularly 1st, 14th and 17th.

Probably my favourite closing hole though.