Golfers Thread

Gaz

King's Acre was a lovely course. Nice day for it, dry but a bit windy. Got off to a horror start with a 7 at the first for duffing three chips in a row! Gutted. But played reasonably well. On the 15th my mate told me the hole doglegged to the left so I aimed to the right. Turns out he'd been holding the scorecard upside down and it doglegged to the right, and I'd spanked it out of bounds! But a great wee day out.

First medal of the season today. Looking forward to it.

Brilliant :lol:

Played in a medal on Saturday. Feel that I am hitting the ball well enough, just stupid mistakes cost me. Finished up with an 84, nett 76. With 2 triples and a double on the card it could have been so much better.

On the plus side, the course seems to be heading in the right direction. Greens looking a bit better and running pretty consistently. Enjoying the season so far!

• 3 weeks later...

First medal of the year for me yesterday (played one or two opens) at my new club...and I shoot a 85 for a nett 59! Handicap cut 3.2 down to 22.8. Chuffed as feck. Everything felt right and came together perfectly. Could have been lower had it not been for one four-putt and a couple of three-putts! But didn't want to be too greedy!

Niddry Castle for us today - anyone played it before?

A good course. I'd wanted to play it for a few years as I used to get the train past it on the way into Uni.

You can tell where it's been extended into an 18-hole course, the front 9 is very developed (older trees etc.) and the back 9 is a lot more open.

Broke 100 for the first time this year, 98 net 73. Happy with that.

Won the Thursday medal last week with a 73, nett 65 so I was cut to 7.0. Followed it up with a nett 70 on Saturday to get to 6.8. Then won my 2nd round match in the handicap matchplay competition yesterday 5 and 4. Pleasing, very pleasing.

My putting is beyond a joke at the moment, which is disappointing given the rest of my game is surprisingly good for this time of year.

Managed to miss 6 putts from within 2 ft (3 of which were from 12-14 inches) in the medal on Saturday but came away with a 77 for a 0.2 cut to 7.7 thanks to the increased CSS.

Won a doubles tie on Sunday in a belting match, won at 18 with our opponents on the green in 2 and my partner putting me under a tree 170 yards from the green off the tee - outrageous finish but no complaints.

Played the "bonus" bank holiday medal on Monday and continued my awful putting while struggling terribly with the wind for a 86 - my highest score for a number of years.

Won my matchplay tonight 6&5. Was happy enough with my all round game except my long irons. I hit a 5 iron 175 in to a hole and came up 30 yards shot. I can't seem to get any more distance under a 6 iron with anything. I hit a couple absolute stunning wedges including a par 151 yrds with my wedge to 4 feet.

Going to take the plunge and buy 2 hybrids. Ive got a 60 quid voucher to use so away to try a few out over the weekend. Any recommendations?

Won my matchplay tonight 6&5. Was happy enough with my all round game except my long irons. I hit a 5 iron 175 in to a hole and came up 30 yards shot. I can't seem to get any more distance under a 6 iron with anything. I hit a couple absolute stunning wedges including a par 151 yrds with my wedge to 4 feet.

Going to take the plunge and buy 2 hybrids. Ive got a 60 quid voucher to use so away to try a few out over the weekend. Any recommendations?

I got a Cobra Amp Cell hybrid 4/5 about a month ago and it has really helped me. Only criticism is that it flies a wee bit high so I would recommend a less lofted version, other than that it's a very easy club to high with reliable distance etc.

Yep, 3 lessons.

First medal of the year for me yesterday (played one or two opens) at my new club...and I shoot a 85 for a nett 59! Handicap cut 3.2 down to 22.8. Chuffed as feck. Everything felt right and came together perfectly. Could have been lower had it not been for one four-putt and a couple of three-putts! But didn't want to be too greedy!

Bandit :lol:

Great shooting. Net 59 with 10 putts for 3 greens :o

Bandit :lol:

Great shooting. Net 59 with 10 putts for 3 greens :o

Haha thanks! Yep - no one calls me Darren at my work's golf society, only known as Bandit!

I know I shouldn'tbe disappointed after shooting what I did, but the 4-putt especially was horrendous

I think it can happen from time to time. I'm still a 25-handicapper and most of my rounds are in the mid-nineties, but I'm still capable of hitting a round between 100-110 (or worse!) but last summer I went round in 88, and that was with an 8 on the card. Was just in a bounce game but it shows what can happen when everything comes together.

83 today around balbernie park off the whites, again thought i should have been lower took a 7 on the 9th

If anybody fancies a midweek round gies a shout ,db62?

Are you a member at Balbirnie bud? I wouldn't mind getting out for the first time this year for a game, with me back playing football I haven't joined anywhere this season so wouldn't mind seeing how I fare.