Golfers Thread

Gaz

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Looks a bit like Lochwinnoch GC, which I was a member of for thirty-five years. A quirk of Lochwinnoch was that unless you knew where to look on the hillside it was located, you couldn’t see the course as you drove towards the village. You couldn’t see the course as you drove up Burnfoot road to the club, and you couldn’t even see any of the course from the car park. Then, when you wheeled your clubs around the clubhouse - wallop. There it was. Mount Everest. I once took an American visitor there. He looked at the course, looked at the scorecard I just handed him, and said ‘is that yardage or altitude on there’. 😜

I played Lochwinnoch many moons ago..

Jeez,  I'd an invite on and possibly taking membership out.

Are thon funny drains still there?

Plus it didn't help that the member I was playing with kept giving duff info...(ex workmate)

It was gladly back to the hills of Port Glasgow...

You did well playing it for 35 years....

19 minutes ago, Bob in Denny said:

I played Lochwinnoch many moons ago..

Jeez,  I'd an invite on and possibly taking membership out.

Are thon funny drains still there?

Plus it didn't help that the member I was playing with kept giving duff info...(ex workmate)

It was gladly back to the hills of Port Glasgow...

You did well playing it for 35 years....

I left Lochwinnoch 16 years ago, when we moved from Houston to Cumbernauld for work reasons. I joined Lochwinnoch in 1974 as a spotty teenager, when it was still a 9 hole course with the old, now demolished, cottage clubhouse. I chucked it for three years and re-joined after exams at school were done. Was a member through the move to 18 holes and the construction of the new clubhouse. It was, back then, more about the course itself for me. It was a good club, I knew everyone, it was a big part of my life.

Last May, after being a member at three clubs since leaving Lochwinnoch and not really fully settling in, I joined Falkirk GC (Carmuirs), and really love it there already. No airs, no graces, no ideas above their station. Just a proper Scottish golf club. Great course too… I know, I’m biased. I think I found it hard to settle anywhere new, having been 35 years at the one club. Think I’ve found my place now though, even if they have funny accents, and it’s borderline sauce on yer’ chips territory.

Funny wee country we live in right enough. Accent changes at Castlecary Arches. Weans instantly become bairns, and every kunt kens some bloke called Ken. Ye’ ken? 😜

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I left Lochwinnoch 16 years ago, when we moved from Houston to Cumbernauld for work reasons. I joined Lochwinnoch in 1974 as a spotty teenager, when it was still a 9 hole course with the old, now demolished, cottage clubhouse. I chucked it for three years and re-joined after exams at school were done. Was a member through the move to 18 holes and the construction of the new clubhouse. It was, back then, more about the course itself for me. It was a good club, I knew everyone, it was a big part of my life.

Last May, after being a member at three clubs since leaving Lochwinnoch and not really fully settling in, I joined Falkirk GC (Carmuirs), and really love it there already. No airs, no graces, no ideas above their station. Just a proper Scottish golf club. Great course too… I know, I’m biased. I think I found it hard to settle anywhere new, having been 35 years at the one club. Think I’ve found my place now though, even if they have funny accents, and it’s borderline sauce on yer’ chips territory.

Funny wee country we live in right enough. Accent changes at Castlecary Arches. Weans instantly become bairns, and every kunt kens some bloke called Ken. Ye’ ken? 😜

Funnily, as you'll see I'm not that far from you.

I spent 10 years at Port Glasgow GC, as my kids were juniors.

I could pitch the 1st green from my back garden.

Must look at the course you mention.

I'd been visiting the Airth range about six months ago but a leg problem has put the kybosh on that.

It was a 'bairn' who persuaded us to move, saved commuting three days a week to babysit.

Enjoy your golf.

I don't mind sauce on me chips..

50 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I utterly despise really hilly courses, to the extent that I would probably just rather not play than go round one.

I like to keep myself in shape and feel quite fit and healthy…….but my knees were in bits after the round at Craigie Hill

4 hours ago, funky_nomad said:

What kind of pitch and putt course are they playing the World Tour event in SA this week??? 19 first round scores of -7 or better, 4 tied for lead on -10.

It's a resort course for rich folk from Pretoria 

As been mentioned altitude means that even folk like me can carry a 9 iron 170yards 

6 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I utterly despise really hilly courses, to the extent that I would probably just rather not play than go round one.

One thing I hate is a course with too many blind shots to the greens. I can take a hill, if it’s a fair course. Another thing I hate is anyone referring to a course as a ‘track’. When did that shite start? ‘It’s a great track’… no, Silverstone or Interlagos are, Barshaw Park in Paisley or Augusta National aren’t.

Great course, nice layout, fine. This ‘track’ shite… the day I ever refer to a golf course as a track will be the day I chuck it and take up bowls. 🤬

15 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Can't watch that Zalatoris putting stroke. Gives me the fear.

I can't remember if it was last week, or the week before, but he had some horrible three putts. Painful to watch, and not just because he's part of my fantasy team. 

I'd avoid Kingussie in that case. It's a fab wee course with glorious views, but I've genuinely been less fucked after a hillwalk. Dufftown is also ludicrously hilly.

Another thing I hate is anyone referring to a course as a ‘track’. When did that shite start? ‘It’s a great track’… no, Silverstone or Interlagos are, Barshaw Park in Paisley or Augusta National aren’t.
Great course, nice layout, fine. This ‘track’ shite… the day I ever refer to a golf course as a track will be the day I chuck it and take up bowls. [emoji2959]

Aye it's pish. I first heard my brother in law use that phrase in the mid 90s. Dreadful behaviour, right up there with "that's a golf shot" and "that'll play". Seethe-inducing.

7 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

I'd avoid Kingussie in that case. It's a fab wee course with glorious views, but I've genuinely been less fucked after a hillwalk. Dufftown is also ludicrously hilly.

Aye it's pish. I first heard my brother in law use that phrase in the mid 90s. Dreadful behaviour, right up there with "that's a golf shot" and "that'll play". Seethe-inducing.

“Good ball” Is one that really grips my shit 

53 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Sawgrass also playing easy due to the soft conditions. 

Unfortunately it dies not sound like the forecast is meant to be much better over there tomorrow anyway.

Sounds like more disruption is expected due to severe weather.

Quite frustrating to watch even if the suspension of play is understandable due to safety concerns.

6 hours ago, Bob in Denny said:

Funnily, as you'll see I'm not that far from you.

I spent 10 years at Port Glasgow GC, as my kids were juniors.

I could pitch the 1st green from my back garden.

Must look at the course you mention.

I'd been visiting the Airth range about six months ago but a leg problem has put the kybosh on that.

It was a 'bairn' who persuaded us to move, saved commuting three days a week to babysit.

Enjoy your golf.

I don't mind sauce on me chips..

I've been to Airth range a few times myself, the Toptracer is decent but once you get past about 150 yards it seems to just guess how far every club goes 😂 I'd recommend the Fairways Indoor golf in Falkirk, they've got 4 indoor bays and the trackmans which are pretty accurate I find. Plus £20 for an hour is pretty good. 

15 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I've been to Airth range a few times myself, the Toptracer is decent but once you get past about 150 yards it seems to just guess how far every club goes 😂 I'd recommend the Fairways Indoor golf in Falkirk, they've got 4 indoor bays and the trackmans which are pretty accurate I find. Plus £20 for an hour is pretty good. 

I'll check that out, thanks.

I just wanted to know if I could still hit a ball..

I still can, right, centre and left LOL

Edited by Bob in Denny