Golfers Thread

Gaz

Played it a few weeks ago.

I always enjoy playing Forfar, used to travel up from London just to play in their 36 hole Open each year.

The greens were pretty good this year, better than they have been for the end of May in previous years.

Just on my way back, cracking course and as you the say the greens were fantastic.

Not the longest but most of the greens are well protected and you need to be accurate of the tee as well.

I play off 18, hit to my handicap with a 87 but really should have been better. Was 2+ after 6 and had 8 pars. Couple of 8's on the back ruined my card. Will definitely be back though.

Cracking wee round at Burntisland today,nice wee course were local knowledge is a must,very happy with a 75

Love Burntisland. Some of the view's looking out to the bridge's are awesome. My old man and I have actually won the 4 ball open two years in row there aswell, so that may sway my opinion on the course.

Hope it went well mate.

Well it turned out it was a stableford thing...good job as I completely screwed up the first hole and would have been pissed off the whole way round if it was strokeplay. I was as inconsistent as ever and terrible off the tee.

I had 17 points after 9 holes and finished with 27. I finshed about 90th out of about 120 so not too bad (winning score was 41)

Enjoyed it overall.

I played Aberdour in their 36 hole open today.

I had never been there before so was playing it blind, shot 71 in the morning with a triple bogey and 3 x 3 putts on my card.

Didn't play so well this afternoon but broke 80 so can't complain.

If someone can show me a better opening two holes in Scotland than Aberdour then I'd like to see them.

Having a torrid time with the golf these days. Moved jobs a couple of months back and have saw my handicap rise by 0.6 in that time with absolutely no signs of even remotely challenging for a score. Have played plenty, have probably done more practicing than I have for years and even tried resting for a week or so there but to no avail.

Find myself going straight left off the tee more often than not, couldn't tell you the last time I managed to get up and down and my putting is as inconsistent as ever.

Depressing stuff.

Stick with it cowshed. Will get it back when you least expect it. Sometimes you can over analyze things. I've gone from 3.4 to 6.9 since my kids come on the scene. For last couple seasons it really got on top of me but this year I've just taken it as it come and all of a sudden things feeling ok again

Stick with it cowshed. Will get it back when you least expect it. Sometimes you can over analyze things. I've gone from 3.4 to 6.9 since my kids come on the scene. For last couple seasons it really got on top of me but this year I've just taken it as it come and all of a sudden things feeling ok again

It's just soul destroying playing so poorly for such a sustained period of time.

Played 8 holes last night -

1. Lost ball off the tee - double

2. Nearly drove the green (missed left), pitched through the green (admittedly from a tough position) and failed to get up and down - bogey

3. Bogey

4. Penalty stroke for going in the burn off the tee, bogey.

5. Hit the par 5 green in two and three stabbed, par

6. Par

7. Par

8. Missed green left and lost ball - double.

No medals for me this week...

Edited by Cowshed Chris

Wednesday Medal this morning. 93 Net 68 but that was with a 7 at the 16th which will get adjusted to a 6. With the CSS being 70 usually I expect I'll get a 1.2 cut and that'll be me down to 23.8, the lowest I've been. Finished off with a 125-yard pitch onto the 18th and then a 17-yard putt 8)

Feeling good about my golf this year. Hopefully get down to around 22 by the end of the season.

Edited by Gaz

Played the Montgomery at kinross today,really happy with an 80,pleased with the fact that i managed to get onto one of the par 5s in 2 but pissed off i 3 putted

Is that the one with a sewage plant in the middle of it?

Is that the one with a sewage plant in the middle of it?

Dont know im assuming thats where all the cars were going to,its well hidden

Montgomery is a tough track. 80 round there is equivalent to 74/75 anywhere else

The Bruce allthough longer is easier due to 5 par 5s all around 480 yards.

I shot 74 round Bruce last month which i was happy with considering im around a 10 handicap

Didnt think it was too bad,only really need your driver 4 or 5 times which helps my score,im planning on giving the bruce a hit aswell to compare

It's just soul destroying playing so poorly for such a sustained period of time.

Played 8 holes last night -

1. Lost ball off the tee - double

2. Nearly drove the green (missed left), pitched through the green (admittedly from a tough position) and failed to get up and down - bogey

3. Bogey

4. Penalty stroke for going in the burn off the tee, bogey.

5. Hit the par 5 green in two and three stabbed, par

6. Par

7. Par

8. Missed green left and lost ball - double.

No medals for me this week...

Stop trying to murder it.

1. No need to hit a driver at the 1st, knock a 3-wood up to the marker and it'll roll down to the 100 yard marker, nice SI to green.

2. WTF are you trying to drive the 2nd for? Rescue/low iron off tee leave you a SI to green.

3. Hard to land and stay on in the dry conditions.

4. No need to hit a driver, you'll go into the burn! (unless you are a monster with the 3-wood, either way hit a club less).

5. Kudos, but if I wasn't on form I'd be laying up and trying to chip and put for a birdie.

6. Driver?

7. Take a 3 any day.

8. Sounds like the driver again? Pap down and wedge to green.

Stick with it mate, don't chase a low score, back to basics and it'll click again.

Stop trying to murder it.

1. No need to hit a driver at the 1st, knock a 3-wood up to the marker and it'll roll down to the 100 yard marker, nice SI to green.

- I thinned it with a 3 wood and ended up down the gully, first time I've been down there for about 10 years - a tad embarassing.

2. WTF are you trying to drive the 2nd for? Rescue/low iron off tee leave you a SI to green.

- Have had success recently with the driver off the tee there, pretty safe though if you miss left its not the easiest up and down.

3. Hard to land and stay on in the dry conditions.

4. No need to hit a driver, you'll go into the burn! (unless you are a monster with the 3-wood, either way hit a club less).

- From the box tee I just hit driver over the burn at 4, 3 wood makes the burn and I prefer not to hit an iron off the tee there

5. Kudos, but if I wasn't on form I'd be laying up and trying to chip and put for a birdie.

6. Driver?

- Usually take the driver due to the number of divots in the landing area - driver takes that plus the bunkers out of play

7. Take a 3 any day.

8. Sounds like the driver again? Pap down and wedge to green.

- Played the 3 wood (poorly struck) and wedge flew the green from 130, ball seems to be carrying pretty far at the moment

Stick with it mate, don't chase a low score, back to basics and it'll click again.

- Hopefully in time for Saturday!

Peedzy, do I know you from the club? Hope your game is looking better than mine for the championship!