Golfers Thread

Gaz

12 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Played this afternoon. Couple of brief  showers early on but very windy. Tough going.

That's what made it worse, rain was going sideways. Was a constant strong breeze but it picked up a few notches every time there was a squally shower.

Had an awful front 9 and a good solid back 9. Hardly holed a putt all day.

Edited by peasy23

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Thoughts on caddies reading putts? Imo the only thing they should be doing on the green is pulling the pin out, it should be solely the player's job to read and line up the putt.

It should absolutely be banned. Up there with caddies standing behind female golfers to line up their shots.

Although I'm also not really a fan of even the pros going through all this aim point routine and the like either. 

On 01/07/2023 at 20:28, RH33 said:

Now I'm intrigued as to who your grandparents are. My dad tried and failed to teach me golf at Golspie! 

My grandparents lived a bit further north, past Berriedale. Golspie was my dads favourite course in the area so that’s where we always went for a hit! 

Through to the match play quarter finals after tonight’s round. Absolutely crazy wind though. Flushed five wood into the wind - ran out to 160 yards down a slope. Chipped 8 iron with the wind - finished up 170 yards up a hill. Not easy.

Open final qualifying today at 4 courses.

Matt Wallace makes it through at West Lancashire, but Garcia and McDowell miss out.

Detry, Schwartzel, Grace and Rozner all look to be in at Royal Cinque Ports.

Looks to be a 3 for 1 place playoff incoming at Porthcawl. 

4 places up for grabs at Dundonald Links, Scotland's Michael Stewart (not that one) leads the way on -7 and is definitely in. Going to be a playoff there too.

Edited by peasy23

46 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Open final qualifying today at 4 courses.

Matt Wallace makes it through at West Lancashire, but Garcia and McDowell miss out.

Detry, Schwartzel, Grace and Rozner all look to be in at Royal Cinque Ports.

Looks to be a 3 for 1 place playoff incoming at Porthcawl. 

4 places up for grabs at Dundonald Links, Scotland's Michael Stewart (not that one) leads the way on -7 and is definitely in. Going to be a playoff there too.

Somewhat surprised to see that Aaron Rai was having to qualify and indeed missed out at Dundonald.  Shows how tough it is I guess.

40 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Somewhat surprised to see that Aaron Rai was having to qualify and indeed missed out at Dundonald.  Shows how tough it is I guess.

If he'd stayed on the DP tour he'd probably have played his way in by now.

17 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Oh how sad to see Garcia and McDowell miss out 

I'd have had no problem if they made it through. They've entered for qualifying as the rules allow and were prepared to give it a go.

Presumably the likes of Poulter and Westwood didn't  want to lower themselves to try to qualify by this route. That's pretty sad and is worse IMHO.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

To an extent the whole shitshow has actually worked out well for the R&A. More big names in qualifying means more promotion for those events, while also allowing for plenty of “local hero” stories as Jimmy Hacker qualifies ahead of a very strong field. 

I’d be in favour of reducing the number of exemptions and having even more places available through qualifying.