Golfers Thread

Gaz

I don't think Boab is out of the reckoning yet for the Ryder Cup, but he desperately needs a DP Tour win alongside some solid performances in the next couple of weeks.

Screenshot_20230711-095754_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.9346c8c17a8dbdc171e60c1fff678782.jpg

That was a couple of huge wins for both Straka and Hojgaard at the weekend. I'd say the top 10 in this list are looking highly likely to qualify or be given a pick, leaving the other 10 plus Adberg fighting for 2 spots.

Screenshot_20230711-100004_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.806110d29c719b2f15390b0522a76412.jpg

The Yanks have unreal strength in depth tbh, you could add Theegala, Bryson and DJ on to this list as potential picks, but Johnson is going to have to make some tough calls with Thomas in particular and Finau's form falling off.

4 minutes ago, Herc said:

Screenshot_20230711-100004_Chrome2.thumb.jpg.806110d29c719b2f15390b0522a76412.jpg

The Yanks have unreal strength in depth tbh, you could add Theegala, Bryson and DJ on to this list as potential picks, but Johnson is going to have to make some tough calls with Thomas in particular and Finau's form falling off.

It's sad to say but I think they could just about put out 2 teams that would hound Europe. I hope to be wrong obviously. Hopefully they can't even manage 1. 

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It's sad to say but I think they could just about put out 2 teams that would hound Europe. I hope to be wrong obviously. Hopefully they can't even manage 1. 

I don't think there's anything between our top 5/6 and theirs. There's a sizable gap in quality from 7-20 though.

I still think Donald will try and pull an angle to pick one or more of the LIV guys if he can. Pieters would be an obvious target given he was right in the reckoning before he jumped ship but I wouldn’t totally rule out Garcia with all of the RC history with him and Rahm basically saying he wanted to play alongside him.

Not something I’d be doing, but I don’t think Europe are quite ready to drop those guys.

22 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

I still think Donald will try and pull an angle to pick one or more of the LIV guys if he can. Pieters would be an obvious target given he was right in the reckoning before he jumped ship but I wouldn’t totally rule out Garcia with all of the RC history with him and Rahm basically saying he wanted to play alongside him.

Not something I’d be doing, but I don’t think Europe are quite ready to drop those guys.

I think Garcia burnt his bridges. Rahm might want him there but Garcia apparently had more than 1 outburst behind the scenes that left a lot of European players thinking he was a w****r, never mind the DP World tour officials he's pissed off. The LIV guys were also part of last times embarrassment so I don't have a problem letting new guys in. 

34 minutes ago, Ignoramus said:

I can understand the logic behind picking Garcia, but he's pissed off loads of folk. Neither him nor Pieters are knocking down the door in terms of form either and there's only 2 LIV events between now and the deadline (plus the Open for Pieters)

Padraig Harrington is probably playing better golf than both Garcia and Pieters atm if you feel that the team needs experience.

Played golf on holiday and hired clubs. They gave me what appeared to be a brand new set of Ping G425 woods and irons. 

I'm playing at home with a set of 10 or so year old Taylor Made Rocketblade irons, which, until now I've not really considered changing, but these Ping irons and woods where so much more forgiving than mine. 

Might end up being the most expensive round of gold I've played. 

Birkdale announced as the venue for the 154th Open in 2026.

Next few years 

2023 Hoylake

2024 Troon

2025 Portrush

2026 Birkdale

Would expect the 155th in 2027 to be back at St. Andrews. Muirfield must be due a turn, but the crowds the last time it was there in 2013 were well down on what was expected. 

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Next few years 

2023 Hoylake

2024 Troon

2025 Portrush

2026 Birkdale

Would expect the 155th in 2027 to be back at St. Andrews. Muirfield must be due a turn, but the crowds the last time it was there in 2013 were well down on what was expected. 

I'll maybe need to get along to Troon next year if it's 2027 before it's back in Scotland.

4 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Played golf on holiday and hired clubs. They gave me what appeared to be a brand new set of Ping G425 woods and irons. 

I'm playing at home with a set of 10 or so year old Taylor Made Rocketblade irons, which, until now I've not really considered changing, but these Ping irons and woods where so much more forgiving than mine. 

Might end up being the most expensive round of gold I've played. 

My irons and woods are G425s. They’re very enjoyable to play with, would highly recommend pulling the trigger.

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Next few years 

2023 Hoylake

2024 Troon

2025 Portrush

2026 Birkdale

All goat tracks. Played them all several times etc. 

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Can’t see Carnoustie getting it for a while 

Officially there are 10 courses on the rota. Muirfield was dropped due to not having women members, eventually changing in 2017. Turnberry obviously won't be used while it has the Trump name attached. Lytham is currently the course with the longest wait outside of Turnberry, last hosting the Open in 2012.