Golfers Thread

Gaz

Can't get enthused by The Harminator winning The Open, would love to see Hovland, Rahm or Tommy shoot the lights out and nick it, but it might be a decent payday tomorrow for me. Just a couple of quid on each mind you.

Screenshot_20230722_181954_Chrome.jpg.a9f50de7c3874da57ffd5286b43f1de4.jpg

Screenshot_20230722_182015_Chrome.jpg.6518eff8b471f594f5007dc46bfd3fc9.jpg

2 minutes ago, Herc said:

Can't get enthused by The Harminator winning The Open, would love to see Hovland, Rahm or Tommy shoot the lights out and nick it, but it might be a decent payday tomorrow for me. Just a couple of quid on each mind you.

Screenshot_20230722_181954_Chrome.jpg.a9f50de7c3874da57ffd5286b43f1de4.jpg

Screenshot_20230722_182015_Chrome.jpg.6518eff8b471f594f5007dc46bfd3fc9.jpg

A Sepp Straka, Brian Harman top 2 finish. Harrowing for the golf world, ecstasy for Herc.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

A Sepp Straka, Brian Harman top 2 finish. Harrowing for the golf world, ecstasy for Herc.

Imagine what the forecast would've paid ? A tenner on that would've been semi-retirement stuff.

2 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

It needed a couple of the later starters to get up to 7 or 8 under and put some pressure on Harman but none of them could get past -6.

Unless he has a horror show on the 17th or 18th he's going to be miles clear. 

The Open leaderboard at this precise moment is like the Scottish Premiership league table. If we could just get Brian Harman and the Old Firm to fcuk, would be exciting.

Edited by pozbaird

Just now, peasy23 said:

Paul Lawrie started 10 back from van de Velde when he won at Carnoustie, but I can't see anyone doing that tomorrow. Harman is certainly reducing the number of folk who have any chance of winning 

Your avatar pic strangely resembles me, at this moment, watching the Open and thinking ‘Please Harman, shite your pants’.

Really don't like that the ballot for next year is about to close. I loved that you could decide to go on the spur of the moment, or wait and see what the weather was like before deciding which day to go.

That and no re entry at some courses have put me off going. When conditions were wet, being able to leave and get in to a pub or cafe for a bit was a godsend.

Seems like unecessary greed from the organisers.

11 minutes ago, Halbeath Raith Rover said:

Really don't like that the ballot for next year is about to close. I loved that you could decide to go on the spur of the moment, or wait and see what the weather was like before deciding which day to go.

That and no re entry at some courses have put me off going. When conditions were wet, being able to leave and get in to a pub or cafe for a bit was a godsend.

Seems like unecessary greed from the organisers.

Yeah it's rubbish. Living in Fife I've always gone to the St Andrews opens and would try and go to Carnoustie and Muirfield as well. Entered the ballot for St Andrews last year but didn't get a ticket. The thought that my being able to attend another open is basically just a game of chance now is pretty galling.

Unfortunately though, restricting supply increases demand so you can see why they've done it. 

Rory declined to do any media at all after today's round, instead heading straight to the putting green as we've already seen on tv.

For context, Matsuyama has refused to speak to the Japanese media after all three rounds so far.

3 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Yeah it's rubbish. Living in Fife I've always gone to the St Andrews opens and would try and go to Carnoustie and Muirfield as well. Entered the ballot for St Andrews last year but didn't get a ticket. The thought that my being able to attend another open is basically just a game of chance now is pretty galling.

Unfortunately though, restricting supply increases demand so you can see why they've done it. 

I'd like there to be a better balance, at least on one of the days, eg 50% of the tickets for Thursday or Friday reserved for sale to "locals".

I appreciate logistically at an event of this size, it's now pretty difficult to have a full walk-up crowd

25 minutes ago, Angus_Don said:

and a 10 footer on 18. Just too streaky with the flat stick to win majors consistently unfortunately.

Harman unsurprisingly leads the field in strokes gained for putting at +8.73 against the field. Rory is ranked 111th at -1.41.