Golfers Thread

Gaz

34 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Played my Kirky’ seniors championship semi final this morning. All square after 18. Replaying the tie tomorrow at 7.40am. I’m knackered. Was giving him 10 shots and he was stroking at 17 & 18. I holed a twelve foot downhill left to right putt on 18 to take it to the replay. My buttocks are still clenched from standing over that putt. Need to ‘execute my game plan’ again tomorrow. Right now, I need a lie down. 😀

Why didn’t you just have a playoff hole? 

I remember playing a knockout semi-final a few years back (maybe 15 or 20 years, now I think about it...).

The format was a handicap allowance of half the difference taken as bisques (where the player receiving strokes could take their bisques at any point following a hole as long as it is declared prior to teeing off at the next hole). We tied the match and had to replay 18 holes as there's no way to play extra holes under the bisques format. We then tied the replay and had to go again (after applying for an extension from the Match Secretary). I lost the 2nd replay at the 18th, and don't think I've ever been so gutted coming off a golf course as I missed what felt like umpteen opportunities to kill the game off. It's good that I'm over it now though... 🙄

Bisques is a great format for shit-housery, though - letting your opponent walk on the tee thinking they've halved a hole, just about to put the peg in the ground and you then declare that you're taking a bisque and you actually won that hole can really stick the knife in. Not quite as devilish as GrueSomes (my favourite matchplay format), but not far off. 😈

30 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Why didn’t you just have a playoff hole? 

Had a conversation at all square on 17. I said that my preference, should we tie, was a replay. I said that if he wanted to go down the first, fair enough, we would toss a coin. He said he fancied a replay too. I was a bit surprised as he would have been stroking again down the first. Wins the hole (maybe by a half but he has a stroke), and it’s game over. If I lose the first tomorrow, another 17 to go. If I had been the high handicap guy and was getting a stroke down 1, I’d be 100% wanting to take my chances with a stroking hole in my hip pocket. 

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Had a conversation at all square on 17. I said that my preference, should we tie, was a replay. I said that if he wanted to go down the first, fair enough, we would toss a coin. He said he fancied a replay too. I was a bit surprised as he would have been stroking again down the first. Wins the hole (maybe by a half but he has a stroke), and it’s game over. If I lose the first tomorrow, another 17 to go. If I had been the high handicap guy and was getting a stroke down 1, I’d be 100% wanting to take my chances with a stroking hole in my hip pocket. 

I thought in a playoff there wouldn’t be any strokes given? Iv never personally been in a playoff so have no prior experience 

Just now, lichtie23 said:

I thought in a playoff there wouldn’t be any strokes given? Iv never personally been in a playoff so have no prior experience 

Nope. Strokes apply as per’ the initial game. If we had decided to crack on ‘sudden death’ he’d have got 5 strokes on the front nine and 5 on the back, just as he had during the round. Hence me stating in advance I wanted to replay, but offering him the option to go against that and vote to go down the first. In his shoes, I was going to vote for sudden death and try to win with the stroke down 1.

Aye, strokes in playoff if it's a stroking hole, as everyone is entitled to play all parts of a handicap comp to their handicap.

It can make play-offs for entry into club champ knockouts complicated though. Our place has a handicap knockout comp for the best 8 nett scores for those who played in the scratch qualifying but didn't make the top 16, rather than then dumping them down into the normal handicap champs. A couple of years back, this resulted in a guy who had been in the first group out in the morning having to come back up to play in a 3 man play-off to get into the scratch comp. They played the 18th three times, before he was eliminated, but because he was tied for the 8th best nett score, he then had to head out down the 1st for that play-off, which he eventually won on the 3rd.

When he finally came back in, he asked the captain to phone his wife and explain it all, as he was sure she wouldn't believe him when he got home! He got papped out in the first round of the matchplay as well.

US Ryder Cup standings, top 6 qualify automatically with 6 captain's picks. They have 4 qualifying events left, the 3M, Wyndham, Memphis and BMW. Basically 1 point = $1000. Going to be some big names missing out. Harman wouldn't even have been quoted before yesterday, he shot up 17 places in the rankings.

20230724_184336.jpg

Edited by peasy23

As for Europe, top 3 from the Euro points, plus top 3 from the world points, plus 6 picks. Qualifying closes on September 3rd. That feels like a while away but there's only 3 DPWT tourneys in that time, the ISPS Handa Invitational, the Czech Masters and the European Open.

Screenshot_20230724_185257_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230724_185350_Chrome.jpg

14 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Makes sense, his best chance of an auto pick is through the Euro list. I reckon he must be fairly high in Donalds thoughts for a captains pick too, I reckon barring a complete heads gone in these next 3 events he'll be there.

One really good finish or two half decent ones should get him in.

Would reckon Fitzpatrick, Lowry and Rose will be in the team one way or another. 

Edited by peasy23

37 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Bob not taking up any invitations to head to the PGA Tour at the moment, concentrating on 2 of the next 3 tournaments in Europe, playing in Prague and Switzerland. 

Good to see he's learned from the last time when he went chasing a tour card over there and had a complete nightmare. As it stands the top 10 in the DPWT rankings win US tour cards anyway so that is probably his best route in - assuming that doesn't change as a result of the LIV merger. 

A couple of solid performances from Boab and hope that Paul, or more likely Meronk don't win and he'll be in Rome. The others are likely out of it now.

Fitz and Lowry are automatic captain's picks. Highly likely Straka and Rose get one too.

2 picks up for grabs for the rest. They need to impress between now and Wentworth.

Are there any LIV guys on the US side other than Koepka that would warrant a pick? I've never followed their events, guess DJ and DeChambeau are the biggest names but I don't think they're playing sufficiently well that they'd get in over a PGA player.

Clark and Harman are decent golfers as evidenced by their major wins but it's a disproportionate amount of points they've won.

Surely Fitzpatrick will break his duck this time round, 0 from 5 over two events albeit both in US is pretty grim.

16 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

Are there any LIV guys on the US side other than Koepka that would warrant a pick? I've never followed their events, guess DJ and DeChambeau are the biggest names but I don't think they're playing sufficiently well that they'd get in over a PGA player.

Clark and Harman are decent golfers as evidenced by their major wins but it's a disproportionate amount of points they've won.

Surely Fitzpatrick will break his duck this time round, 0 from 5 over two events albeit both in US is pretty grim.

Talor Gooch was being touted after winning a couple of LIV events but he missed the cut at the Open so I think that probably will be the end of his chances. 

The best Ryder cup stat is of course Tiger's record

97, played, Europe won
99, played, USA won 
02, played, Europe won
04, played, Europe won
06, played, Europe won
08, didn't play, USA won
10, played, Europe won
12, played, Europe won
14, didn't play, Europe won
16, didn't play, USA won
18, played, Europe won
21, didn't play, USA won

however that means we're probably fucked until the next Tiger comes along.

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

So it seems the Royal Liverpool members were already fed up with the 17th even before the pros got to whinge about it. Mentions of groups regularly taking 30 minutes to play it.

https://www.bunkered.co.uk/golf-news/controversial-open-par-3-set-for-complete-overhaul/?fbclid=IwAR3BZQoKbJLw37PnydDI4AiOGYGVmwLH1XUc0oRdYxUIeoZ-PoMApnG_TRE

There’s clearly no problem IMO with making a hole utterly terrifying for pros, but obviously they need to find a way to make the hole playable for Joe blogs

10 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

A golf pro confesses to cheating.

And the story behind it.

https://www.mondayq.com/posts/doeden-cheating

That’s an incredible stupid thing to do. He knew not only he had guys playing alongside him to mark his score but an official scorer too, how the f**k he thought he’d get away with it.