Golfers Thread

Gaz

8 minutes ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

That attitude from people absolutely baffles me but I have seen it. In our open last year there was a guy claiming to play off 40 who shot something like 94, net 54. Get to f**k with that nonsense. My biggest achievement in golf to date is getting my handicap down below 20. I'd personally see getting it down to 15 or so as a much bigger achievement than winning a handicap comp with a totally bogus 24 handicap. Where's the achievement in that?

^^^ This. Seen it myself too. A lot of times in two-man team things where they turn up with a similarly handicapped ringer from another club. Coming in with nett 54s and shit.

I only joined Kirkintilloch this year, so I haven’t figured out who the 24 handicap chancers are yet, but I’m certain the guy who beat me this week isn’t one of those types. We finished all square on Monday, and he won on 18 on Tuesday, so it was tight as a gnat’s chaff all the way. At varying times we were both great, OK, or pish. It was a fair fight.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m 1 good round from being single figures for the 1st time in my life, and Iv got 3 attempts to do it. Il be ecstatic if it happens! 

1st attempt is Saturday morning 

got down to single figures in January, have went up every round since 😂 still show up weekend after weekend though hahaha

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m 1 good round from being single figures for the 1st time in my life, and Iv got 3 attempts to do it. Il be ecstatic if it happens! 

When I left Lochwinnoch GC eighteen years ago to move up to Cumbernauld, I was 9 handicap, and knowing it was my last season there after being a member for thirty-six years, was determined to leave as a single handicapper… went up to 10 before I left. Pah. Have since crept up year on year to 12.5 exact. I did however get the second hole-in-one of my life at Lochwinnoch’s 13th hole during my farewell tour season. 😀

One of the reasons I chucked playing golf competitively at youth level was the amount of blatant cheating that took place. I just could never understand guys deliberately cheating. Made no sense to me. 

The primary reason which was harder to deal with was problems with my eyesight. I had bacterial meningitis as a 5 year old and I have suffered from light sensitivity issues with my eyes which makes tracking the flight of a golf ball unbelievably hard. 

In the ‘70s I believed that the future was a trackable ball but I knew even back then that golf ball manufacturers would not support such a simple solution. 

I loved playing the game but it was just too stressful every drive to lose track of where my ball went. Harumph. 

I'm a 24, I have never cheated in my life. Thing is, on my day I can play as good golf as anyone in my group. But its never showing up for a full 18. Ever. Not sure if thats representative of higher handicappers in general, but its just my experience. Way to fond of an implosion or 2 every round to get it down atm. 

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I'm a 24, I have never cheated in my life. Thing is, on my day I can play as good golf as anyone in my group. But its never showing up for a full 18. Ever. Not sure if thats representative of higher handicappers in general, but its just my experience. Way to fond of an implosion or 2 every round to get it down atm. 

Happy to say I have never cheated at golf in my life either. I remember reading somewhere that the average club golfer unwittingly breaks the rules all the time by making a mistake marking and replacing the ball, or taking relief, etc. Honest mistakes that aren’t going to dramatically change their score or anything. When I was playing my tie this week, at one hole, my opponent had the honour, and as I was otherwise engaged taking my driver out and having a drink of water, I looked up to see he had teed it up on the yellows, not the white medal tee a few yards further back. I blurted out a garbled ‘uh-ho, wrong tee!’… he thanked me for stopping him losing the hole. I told him that if he had actually hit it, I’d just have used the yellow tee too. Fcuk being a p***k if someone makes a genuine error. I wouldn’t want to win a hole that way. 

My biggest gripe is when playing with someone you don't normally play with. They find their ball in the middle of the whins and just pick it up and appear in the semi-rough. "I'll just take a drop... here ok ?"   Eh, no. you had 2 club lengths from where your ball was, which would still be in the whins or as far back as you like in line with the flag. "We always just drop one"  I honestly don't think they are meaning to cheat but are clearly gaining shots every week. A bounce game is fair enough but not in a counter.

Thankfully never encountered any real cheating before. I probably wouldn't class handicap sandbagging as cheating, it's certainly a bit dishonest and contrary to the spirit of the game. 

Most stuff is just ignorance of the rules around drops and relief. Don't think the pros help in this regard as they're always after relief. I like Speith but his incident a few months ago was poor imo.

Who is the biggest cheat in golf ?

Vijay ? Paddy Reed ? Gary Player ?

In terms of cheating i’ve thankfully never personally witnessed anything dodgy from a playing partner but when you get these team events with big prizes (say like an all-expenses paid golf holiday) you really have to question the winning scores. Some of them are Kim Jong II levels of absurdity.

Edited by ArabGaz

Iv never knowingly cheated at golf. Iv no doubt broke a few rules without realising regarding tapping down spike marks, playing out of turn or grounding my club accidentally in the sand. Even something as trivial as not announcing your ball is provisional even though you both seen it fly 50 yards OB 

7 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Really good luck with this.

After golfing for many years playing largely off handicaps 10-14 I finally managed to get to single figures in August 2009, a month shy of my 51st birthday. I was absolutely delighted and I still have the golf ball I used for the round that got me there. I'd flirted with single figures but had never got below 10 until then. In the round I made it I messed up the 14th to take a double bogey 7 and thought the chance had gone but managed to regroup and finish par, birdie, bogey, birdie.

I've drifted up to 10 a couple of times since then but have got straight back down again. Currently 6.2 and lowest index I've been is 5.7. 

Played today and was heading of a wee reduction before finishing bogey, double bogey. Three putted the last, missing from less than 2 feet for a bogey. Stupid game 😒

Let us know how you get on and in particular if you do make it. You can absolutely do this.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

25 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Really good luck with this.

After golfing for many years playing largely off handicaps 10-14 I finally managed to get to single figures in August 2009, a month shy of my 51st birthday. I was absolutely delighted and I still have the golf ball I used for the round that got me there. I'd flirted with single figures but had never got below 10 until then. In the round I made it I messed up the 14th to take a double bogey 7 and thought the chance had gone but managed to regroup and finish par, birdie, bogey, birdie.

I've drifted up to 10 a couple of times since then but have got straight back down again. Currently 6.2 and lowest index I've been is 5.7. 

Played today and was heading of a wee reduction before finishing bogey, double bogey. Three putted the last, missing from less than 2 feet for a bogey. Stupid game 😒

Let us know how you get on and in particular if you do make it. You can absolutely do this.

Proud Of You Yes GIF

thank you brother 

As a junior, when I was 15/16 I suddenly improved hugely as I physically grew, and in junior comps for that year regularly destroyed my handicap as the max reduction per card was 4 (obviously well before the modern system) I once won a non-prize Friday night competition with a net 49 off a 28 handicap as they couldn't cut me quick enough (genuinely just because I was playing as often as I could after a first year of hitting 100+ in competitions)

It was a total farce as I had suddenly got close to the 4 - 6 handicappers in juniors over winter and ther was no quick way to cut me. By the end of the year I was 16 I was on an 11 senior H/C.

These days I'd likely play to a 19 or 20 once I got into hitting regularly but no way I'll ever hit my best of a 5 again, too old, too still, too out of practice.

BTW got my hole-in-one at 14 and, although he was not a golfer or particularly interested in sports my Dad bought the clubhouse my round for that! (yes I of course had a whisky, no questions asked)