Golfers Thread

Gaz

13 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Fucked it lads! A real tale of two 9s

Out in 45, back in 37. We go again during the week 

Every medal I play in, my target is out in 40, back in 40 for an 80 nett 68. With no dramas, no stupidity, no 6s or worse on the card. No idiocy…. Very rarely, if ever, works out that way. 😛

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I had no 3 putts for the first time in a long time today.

Unfortunately, I also only had a single one putt, for a total of 35 putts for the round. I've said it before, but it's a stupid fucking game

It is indeed. You’re in a medal, you play steady for 17 holes, but run up a mindless 8 at a Par 4 and you’ve fcuked your score. Three-and-a-half hours of decent stuff ruined by five minutes of braindead fcukwittery.

…. Long live stableford. 😀

Played 9* at Inwood (closest course to my stepdaughter's residence in Joliet).

Playing partner and I (no idea, never met before just convenient tee time) decided we "give" anything within 4' of the hole, so with that proviso I scored about 45, versus a par 35. Having not played much at all recently and using brand new (cheapo) clubs for the first time I'm quite happy with that.

*why only 9? Even at 8:30 am it was 88F (31C) and 73% humidity 🥵

Playing Kilspindie (home course) this morning.  Had planned to put a card in to hopefully arrest the constant climbing of my handicap, as this is a free hit before a couple of counting cards come off in the next few rounds.

Haven’t slept and it’s blowing a gale.  I might just skip the general play card!

My handicap went from 7.8 to 10.6 within four weeks - under the old system that would have taken at least 28 terrible rounds with no beating handicap nor even buffer.  However got a decent 0.6 cut last week playing in the Nairn five day open, scoring a very decent 79 off the whites.  What a truly magnificent course that is. I always thought it a decent course but the changes made over lockdown (new greens and bunkers - utilising substantial funds bequeathed from a former member) have elevated it to a level on par with the likes of Dornoch and Royal Aberdeen - not quite Carnoustie but more scoreable.

Medal this afternoon and confident on a decent round.  Played a general play yesterday with one of our members who is off to the USA for a scholarship in a couple weeks time - this time last week he was reigning Scottish Boys champ and very nearly retained his title only losing in the final by one hole.  Hits the ball a mile - I think he hit a couple of drives around 370 yards and their isnt exactly a lot of run at present.  I mentioned this to another member in the clubhouse and he said that he has a faster swing speed than Rory mcIllroy - I quite believe that,  He has the Scottish amateur at Dornoch this week and must be confident of doing well.  My driving went to pieces, whilst not trying to keep up I was trying to hit it too hard so not to be embarrassed.

57 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

My handicap went from 7.8 to 10.6 within four weeks - under the old system that would have taken at least 28 terrible rounds with no beating handicap nor even buffer.  However got a decent 0.6 cut last week playing in the Nairn five day open, scoring a very decent 79 off the whites.  What a truly magnificent course that is. I always thought it a decent course but the changes made over lockdown (new greens and bunkers - utilising substantial funds bequeathed from a former member) have elevated it to a level on par with the likes of Dornoch and Royal Aberdeen - not quite Carnoustie but more scoreable.

Medal this afternoon and confident on a decent round.  Played a general play yesterday with one of our members who is off to the USA for a scholarship in a couple weeks time - this time last week he was reigning Scottish Boys champ and very nearly retained his title only losing in the final by one hole.  Hits the ball a mile - I think he hit a couple of drives around 370 yards and their isnt exactly a lot of run at present.  I mentioned this to another member in the clubhouse and he said that he has a faster swing speed than Rory mcIllroy - I quite believe that,  He has the Scottish amateur at Dornoch this week and must be confident of doing well.  My driving went to pieces, whilst not trying to keep up I was trying to hit it too hard so not to be embarrassed.

I played Nairn last year having not been there for 30 years or so.  It was superb at that last visit. 

Definitely one of my favourite courses.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:

Same again today, Cejka currently a shot in front at +2 thru 6 holes. Anyone in the clubhouse at +7 or so could win this.

Monty rolled in with an 87.

th06.png.0a1d99a010b6f43fa4c68c75d62daae7.png

Played in a club stableford this afternoon. Out in 40 for 17 points. 5 holes where I scored one point and scored 3 points on each of the other 4 holes. Bizarre.

Then played an absolutely stellar back 9 in a gross 2 under 34 to accrue 23 points. So 40 points in total and currently leading. Seven pars and two birdies on the back 9. Reckon I'll be back down to an equal lowest ever handicap index of 5.7.

Absolutely delighted.

Edit to add new handicap index is 5.6 so lowest ever. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer