Golfers Thread

Gaz

22 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

I’m sure Ballumbie’s scorecard has the amount of time it should have taken you to reach each hole. And a few of the tee’s as well. 

Edit - Indeed it does

IMG_7757.jpeg

Appreciate it’s a different course but that  scorecard is suggesting a time for a round over 10 minutes slower than the round that prompted the slow play complaints…

Largely, baring pro games that meant an extent there’s a requirement for not leaving people waiting on your 50000 practice swings and half hour consultation over how you can legally move your ball for minimum drop.   I don’t actually have a problem with slow play.  Generally keeping sport open for all is important and if someone wants to take 5 hours to complete a round fine, take a break, have lunch at a tea box… couldn’t give a f**k, just be aware of other players and if you want a ten minute chat and how to play your 150 yard approach just look at the tee and if someone is standing step aside and wave them through.

Just noticed that the DP World tour does not have another tournament until the "World Invitational" in Northern Ireland on 17th August (with a pathetic purse).  For those regular tour players who did not get into the Open nor the Scottish Open (restrictd opportunities due the number of US players over at the time) their last "regular" tour event will have been the Made in Himmerland in Denmark on 13-16 July...so fully a month in peak summer with no opportunities to play - I cant recall there ever being such a gap in the schedules during the summer - even last saummer there were four regular events during this period ( two of which were won by Scots - Ramsay and Ferguson)  Is this a sponsorship issue or is the DP World tour really struggling?

47 minutes ago, Caledonian1 said:

Just noticed that the DP World tour does not have another tournament until the "World Invitational" in Northern Ireland on 17th August (with a pathetic purse).  For those regular tour players who did not get into the Open nor the Scottish Open (restrictd opportunities due the number of US players over at the time) their last "regular" tour event will have been the Made in Himmerland in Denmark on 13-16 July...so fully a month in peak summer with no opportunities to play - I cant recall there ever being such a gap in the schedules during the summer - even last saummer there were four regular events during this period ( two of which were won by Scots - Ramsay and Ferguson)  Is this a sponsorship issue or is the DP World tour really struggling?

There were playing opportunities for some of the DP Tour players in the two USPGA events which were on alongside the Scottish Open and the Open.

I'm guessing if they had the sponsors willing to support them then there would be events on at the moment. It does seem crazy having such a gap in the middle of summer. As it is, it almost looks like they're stepping aside for a couple of weeks to let the women's and seniors majors get the limelight. 

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Attempt 2 today to get to single figures. This time over only 9 holes. 4+ should do it going by my calculations 

all the best Sir, friday afternoon weather app watching for me as usual 🤣. 36 hole comp on Sunday at Largs GC. 

1 hour ago, Burnside91 said:

all the best Sir, friday afternoon weather app watching for me as usual 🤣. 36 hole comp on Sunday at Largs GC. 

Unfortunately my mate pulled out so I was on my own and couldn’t put a card in

Played my last medal of the season this morning. Full of good thoughts on the first tee, smacked a 3 wood straight down the middle - then promptly shanked a 7-iron into trees en route to a tap-in triple bogey. 😵‍💫

Four more doubles followed, easiest nett 79 I've had in a while. Finished the season with a nice birdie though, so it's all good... 🙄

22 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Martin Laird makes the cut right on the number at -2 at the Wyndham despite a 2 over 72 today.

Russell Knox missed the cut by one shot despite a good 3 under 2nd round. 

As such he finishes outside the top 125 and loses full tour status. 

Laird excellent finish last week ensured he'd be top 125.

Spotted an article suggesting Knox will still get a decent amount of starts in 23-24 tour season.

Knox Should Play Decent 2023/24 PGA Tour Schedule Despite Fortfeiting Tour Card. | Golf, by TourMiss (golfbytourmiss.com)

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

What a game golf is. I started the season at 13.9 and have crept up to 14.7. Been totally incapable of keeping big numbers off the card. E.g. my last medal had 15 decent holes of bogey or better, but a 9 and two 8s wrecked it. 

Went out this morning, no warm up or practice putts as I got a shout to say our group was going out early. Hit an 80 off the yellow tees, 2 birdies, 8 pars, and nothing worse than a 6 on my card.