Golfers Thread

Gaz

5 minutes ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

"Although that was essentially done away with in 2004’s revisions, a careful read of the ‘priority on the course’ paragraph in today’s Rule book shows it is not quite black-and-white: “Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group’s pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term ‘group’ includes a single player.

I don't really see it as optional. I feel too many do. 

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Walked off the course yesterday. 4 ball infront of our 2 ball point-blank refusing to let us play through. Probably should have just bombed a driver over their heads on on of the occasions where they were just walking off the tee as we arrived at it. Arseholes. 

Actually regret not going into the pro shop to complain about the c***s. 

Seething. 

I’m seething for you

I just can't understand refusing to let someone through when they've asked. It might delay you for 5 minutes as the player playing through hurriedly whacks the ball down without much care just to get out the way but other than that, what reason do folk have for not letting someone through? 

I fucking hate having guys playing right up behind us, if my group is holding up anyone for whatever reason I stand aside quickly and wave them through. I'm much more relaxed with nobody behind us but evidently that doesn't appear to be the majority feeling as these wanks happy to be holding up hours worth of tee times seem to be everywhere. 

48 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Thought he might shoot a good one today. 
He’s still in pole position for a Ryder Cup spot. I think he’ll get a pick if he needs one. 

In pole position, but giving Meronk and Paul a chance to pass him. Saw a tweet last night that if Meronk were to win, Bob would have be either solo second or in a two way tie for second to stay above him. Paul getting back in contention too with a good round today.

On 15/07/2023 at 09:47, funky_nomad said:

Connor Syme hates Saturdays. Every time he's remotely in contention for a good weekend following the cut, he plummets down the leaderboard.

I take it all back.

Solid performance today, and he's out in the final group with Fitzpatrick (M) tomorrow. A similar number tomorrow also helps Boab's chances for an automatic Ryder Cup slot.

7 hours ago, peasy23 said:

In pole position, but giving Meronk and Paul a chance to pass him. Saw a tweet last night that if Meronk were to win, Bob would have be either solo second or in a two way tie for second to stay above him. Paul getting back in contention too with a good round today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/66655699

Meronk and Paul both 6 behind the leader. Could still win but it's a big ask with 15 players ahead of them.

According to BBC Meronk needs to be at least 2nd tied with only one other player to have a chance.

If Paul wins then he'll be above Bob no matter what Bob does. I'm not certain what Bob would have to do if Paul finishes 2nd or 3rd.  Bob started the week 126.09 points ahead of Paul. According to BBC sole 2nd spot gets 275 points. 3rd gets 157. 

Rasmus Hojgaard needed to win to have any chance of an automatic spot. He missed the cut.

Perez needed to finish at least 2nd on his own to have a chance. He also missed the cut.

Otaegui needed to win. He's currently one shot behind Bob so has no chance.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

22 hours ago, Florentine_Pogen said:

"Although that was essentially done away with in 2004’s revisions, a careful read of the ‘priority on the course’ paragraph in today’s Rule book shows it is not quite black-and-white: “Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is determined by a group’s pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term ‘group’ includes a single player.

Doesn’t really matter.  It’s just polite.

Double at the last from Bob 😬 which is a shame but probably won't make much difference.  Confirmed now as per @tracker_robert on X/Twitter that:

RYDER CUP SCENARIO With Bob finishing roughly in a tie for 55th the scenarios are…

Paul must at least finish in a TWO WAY TIE FOR 3RD. Meronk must finish in at least a TWO WAY TIE FOR 2ND.

3 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

Double at the last from Bob 😬 which is a shame but probably won't make much difference.  Confirmed now as per @tracker_robert on X/Twitter that:

RYDER CUP SCENARIO With Bob finishing roughly in a tie for 55th the scenarios are…

Paul must at least finish in a TWO WAY TIE FOR 3RD. Meronk must finish in at least a TWO WAY TIE FOR 2ND.

Meronk is one under through 7 holes and currently tied 13th.

Paul is one over through 4 holes and currently tied 31st.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

5 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

MacIntyre had said before that this wasn't a course he played well on and it seems that way again this year. Paul looks to be playing himself out of it though and Meronk is going to have to light up the back 9 to have a chance. 

Meronk 2 under through 9 and up to tied 8th,

Paul out of it now I reckon.

7 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Meronk gets to 11 under thru 9, which is still T8th at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Meronk 2 under through 9 and up to tied 8th,

Paul out of it now I reckon.

Meronk is still likely to need a few of the leaders to go backwards. I think he'll need to get up to -15 or so to have a chance. 

1 minute ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Meronk is still likely to need a few of the leaders to go backwards. I think he'll need to get up to -15 or so to have a chance. 

Agreed but every chance he can do that. He's got nothing to lose IMHO as pretty sure he'll get a pick anyway. 

FWIW I think Bob will also get a pick. Rather he didn't need it though.

18 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

MacIntyre had said before that this wasn't a course he played well on and it seems that way again this year. Paul looks to be playing himself out of it though and Meronk is going to have to light up the back 9 to have a chance. 

I get the feeling that if it wasn't the last qualifying event then Bob wouldn't have been there. He obviously doesn't enjoy it, don't know if he struggles to make the adjustments for the altitude or something.