Darts...

Sideshow

You should try the ITV website. They're covering the event and have almost zero coverage. Planetdarts is the best site to check out.

Fair enough, never heard of it.

I looked on the official sites of both the WDF and the BDO and couldn't find a single piece of info on the competition either. I was beginning to think it was some sort of time warp thing that only happened on P&B!

Guest shameless
what a tinpot tournament the grandslam is, wade gets a nine darter on tv and gets hee haw for it :huh: unbelievable

i think that it is an absolute joke that the man did not receive anything for hitting a perfect 9 darter on live TV.

Even worse so considering that Gary Anderson is still guaranteed at least a share of £2000 for hitting the highest finish in the tournament, 170, with 3 darts..

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!

Fair enough, never heard of it.

I looked on the official sites of both the WDF and the BDO and couldn't find a single piece of info on the competition either. I was beginning to think it was some sort of time warp thing that only happened on P&B!

That's because neither organisation are running the tournament.

That's because neither organisation are running the tournament.

Their members however are playing in it. You'd think they would at least mention it or have a link pointing to where one could find info on it.

Honestly the completely needless in-fighting in darts does my head in at times.

Guest shameless

I hope for the PDC World Championships, all of the big guns are back on top of their games to push Taylor all the way, or he is going to waltz to 14 world titles.

If Wade, Jenkins and Barney get there eyes in, Taylor could be made to work for the title.

I feel that Van Barnevald is getting better as the year goes on, and he could be Taylors biggest threat in the Tournament, Taylor v Barney final with Taylor to edge a classic.

One to watch out for is definately Robert Thornton, could cause couple of shocks

Guest blue ayr
I hope for the PDC World Championships, all of the big guns are back on top of their games to push Taylor all the way, or he is going to waltz to 14 world titles.

If Wade, Jenkins and Barney get there eyes in, Taylor could be made to work for the title.

I feel that Van Barnevald is getting better as the year goes on, and he could be Taylors biggest threat in the Tournament, Taylor v Barney final with Taylor to edge a classic.

One to watch out for is definately Robert Thornton, could cause couple of shocks

I hope you're right, hate seeing Taylor walk away with tournaments but the man is better than ever after a sloppy start to the year. In saying that , after the unbelievable 2006 final I found last years tournament a bit of a letdown. Part was immense in his run to the final but that boy Shephard was an arrogant wee tosser! Glad to see him getting royally pumped at the Grand Slam. This year like you said, Im hoping Wade, Barney and hopefully Lewis can get to there A game and make it interesting. Just have a feeling about Terry Jenkins that he might make himself the Jimmy White of darts, near many times but never quite does enough. Love the guy to prove me wrong.

Guest blue ayr

Also, apologies if this has been mentioned before, but does anybody actually like the atmosphere when the Worlds are at the Ally Pally? I know for crowd size/demand they felt they needed a bigger venue but always loved how close the crowd were at the Circus Tavern, created an awesome atmosphere.

Guest shameless
Thornton beating big names isn't a shock. It SHOULD be expected.

Anyhoo, Barney vs. Taylor would be a brilliant final as Barney would up his game to the next level.

Well because Thornton has only just joined the PDC, his ranking is not what it should be, so for him to even get to the quarter finals, he is going to have to beat some of the top ten in the PDC, so i think for him to do that, would surprise quite a lot of people. Not saying he does not deserve to do so, just think this time next year his world ranking will be what it should be and that is around the top 5 players in the world

Thornton beating big names isn't a shock. It SHOULD be expected.

Anyhoo, Barney vs. Taylor would be a brilliant final as Barney would up his game to the next level.

Exactly. For me outside Phil Taylor, Robert Thornton is the best scorer in the game. Its a shame his doubles are utterly pathetic at times.

Guest Berwick till i die

Can't see past Taylor for the World Championship though it would be great to be proved wrong. I think only Barney is capable of living with him and even he's quite a way behind. Hopefully Wade can find some form in time for the World Championship as he's been a bit hit and miss lately.

As for Thornton the more experience he gets on the bigger stage the better he will come and he is destined for the Premiership in 2010 a long with King.

What ever happened to Van Gerwan he came to the PDC with so much hype and has yet to make any real impact and he fails to qualify for most of the TV tournaments. I know he was at the Grand Slam but he didn't exactly set the place alive. Is he simply not good enough or did people hype him up to quick and he will develop into a decent players in the next few years.

I think it's a stick on Thornton will get one of the wild cards for the Premier League starting at the turn of the year if he puts in another good showing at the Worlds.

Adding a Scotsman to the bill they know will be good for ratings and the crowds in Glasgow and Edinburgh will go even more ape shit than usual.

Who are the 6 currently getting their on merit. Taylor? Barney? Wade? Jenkins? Lewis? Manley?

I would think King would also be a decent shout for the other wild card.

Guest Berwick till i die
I think it's a stick on Thornton will get one of the wild cards for the Premier League starting at the turn of the year if he puts in another good showing at the Worlds.

Adding a Scotsman to the bill they know will be good for ratings and the crowds in Glasgow and Edinburgh will go even more ape shit than usual.

Who are the 6 currently getting their on merit. Taylor? Barney? Wade? Jenkins? Lewis? Manley?

I would think King would also be a decent shout for the other wild card.

There is 5 defiant qualifiers already Taylor, Barney, Wade, Part and Jenkins. With anyone from Lewis, Hamilton, Mardle and Tabern with a good shout of getting the 6th spot especially with there been good prize money on offer at the World Championship. The two wild cards are a hard choice I fancy Webster to get one of them if he switches from the BDO to the PDC and anyone's guess for the final spot. I guess we will need to wait and see if someone who doesn't qualify in the top 6 has a good run and gets a place similar to Mardle last year. My guess on current form would be King with his recent success. I think the premiership in 2009 is just a little quick for Thornton unless he gets to the Semi Finals of the World Championship.

Webster won't switch IMO till 2010 when he finishes his Plumbing apprenticeship.

I'd love it if the two wildcards were Gary Anderson and Robert Thornton, imagine the crowd at Glasgow with those playing on the stage, absolutely mental.

IMO it will be 2 from 3 of Tabern, Hamilton and Mervyn King. I hate King hes a miserable c**t, but playing pretty well, Tabern is a really vanilla player, but don't have much against him. Hamilton is decent enough to watch with his high scoring. Definitely better crowd pullers than them out there though.

Guest Berwick till i die
How can it be too quick for Thornton but you fancy Webster might get it? A guy who has played in no PDC tournaments.

Contradiction surely.

Webster is the current BDO world champion which is enough in my opinion to earn him the spot plus he's the best player on that side a long with Anderson but I don't think Anderson has earned the right to walk straight into the Premiership like Webster.

I personally don't think Thornton has earned a spot to be in the Premiership that will come when he starts getting to semi finals and finals which I expect in 2009 from him.