Rugby Union

kiwififer

The bye week though would that be fair in domestic competitions especially PRO 14. If the PRO 14 countries have their week off then the pro teams will likely be near full strength minus the odd superstar for that respective week. 

I would love to see a promotion relegation playoff between bottom 6 nations and top of rugby championship and I wanted this ten year ago when Scotland were shite. Another solution could be having a ten or 12 team, between world cup years, northern Hemisphere competition. 6 nations teams throwing in Georgia, Romania, USA, Canada, Japan and maybe Russia. I realise England v Russia is just a waste of time for England but for Russia and the likes its how they grow the sport. These countries will target the 6 nations countries for upsets. You don't have to get rid of the 6 nations as such but there is a staleness there because its the 5 nations and Italy, and has been pretty much since 2000. 

The pro14 teams don't play their internationals on the current rest weeks in the 6 nations now so don't see why they would in a 7 team scenario.

I'm all for some sort of euro tournament, maybe run it in lions years to begin with, and with France A, would give a fairly level playing field as a starter

3 hours ago, honestly united said:

The pro14 teams don't play their internationals on the current rest weeks in the 6 nations now so don't see why they would in a 7 team scenario.

I'm all for some sort of euro tournament, maybe run it in lions years to begin with, and with France A, would give a fairly level playing field as a starter

No but they do release personnel surplus to requirements back to the pro sides for the week. I just think on a given bye week that more internationals would be made available to the pro sides of that country and therefore be much closer to full strength than there opposition. 

Your second comment would you add likes of Irish Wolfhounds, England Saxons etc 

No but they do release personnel surplus to requirements back to the pro sides for the week. I just think on a given bye week that more internationals would be made available to the pro sides of that country and therefore be much closer to full strength than there opposition. 

Your second comment would you add likes of Irish Wolfhounds, England Saxons etc 

Yeah was thinking the likes of what was left of Scotland, England Wales and Ireland after the lions were off (so probably Scotland at full strength) then France A, Italy and all the teams from 2nd tier, Georgia, Romania, Spain, Russia, Germany and Belgium at present. I think could be a decent tournament.

Yeah was thinking the likes of what was left of Scotland, England Wales and Ireland after the lions were off (so probably Scotland at full strength) then France A, Italy and all the teams from 2nd tier, Georgia, Romania, Spain, Russia, Germany and Belgium at present. I think could be a decent tournament.

Why don’t we have a snappy name like Wolfhounds for our second string?

14 hours ago, honestly united said:

I prefer 2 groups with playoffs rather than a big league table. Have a host nation but not a tier 1 country so that tier 1 rugby fans flock to that tier 2 or 3 nation and really try to capture the imagination of the host nation public. As I said in earlier post it's about expanding the sport and raising the profile of the game. 

I prefer 2 groups with playoffs rather than a big league table. Have a host nation but not a tier 1 country so that tier 1 rugby fans flock to that tier 2 or 3 nation and really try to capture the imagination of the host nation public. As I said in earlier post it's about expanding the sport and raising the profile of the game. 

I would have thought something along the lines 3 pools of 4 or 4 pools of 3, with the traditional top 4 play for cup, mid 3 for shield and bottom for plate.

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

I would have thought something along the lines 3 pools of 4 or 4 pools of 3, with the traditional top 4 play for cup, mid 3 for shield and bottom for plate.

Ah right yes I get you. Try to keep interest alive in the tournament for as long as possible for as many nations as possible. 

I was going for a 2 pool of 6, with top 3 advancng' but like pro 14 winning the pool sends you direct to the semi final. The other two slots playing to advance to the semi as well. I suppose bottom 3 of each pool could have a similar playoff scenario in that they are playing for plate or shield. 

A lot of fixtures in mine.