Rugby Union

kiwififer

8 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Im not seeing how binding like that is any sort of advantage, if anything its going to take longer to break from the scrum having to get your arm out first

He's bound right onto the props leg. Hes basically an extra man holding him up, and is able to apply much more force in behind him. It's a definite advantage, especially if you have no intention of doing anything at scrums beyond milking them for penalties.  Really poor if the ref hasn't seen that.

Glasgow have signed a 3x Premiership and 2x Champions Cup winner til the end of the season to cover the injured Zander and Siua. Don't think anyone was expecting a signing of his calibur,

Glasgow Warriors have signed Petrus du Plessis from London Irish on a deal until the end of the season.

The experienced tight-head prop played for English Premiership side Saracens 158 times between 2009 and 2017. During that spell he won the Champions Cup twice and the English Premiership three times.

After leaving Saracens the South African went on to play 27 games for London Irish.

The 37-year-old, who has played 31 Champions Cup matches during an illustrious career, goes straight into the Warriors Heineken Champions Cup squad ahead of Sunday’s opening game against his former side, Saracens at Scotstoun.

Glasgow Warriors have signed Petrus du Plessis from London Irish on a deal until May 2019

He arrived in Glasgow yesterday and started training with his new teammates at a training camp in Largs this morning.

Speaking to Glasgow Warriors TV, Petrus du Plessis, said: “I’m very happy to be at Glasgow Warriors, this is a great club.

“It all happened very quickly - within three days I’m here, so I’m very excited to play in the Heineken Champions Cup and Guinness PRO14 this season.

“It’s exciting that my first game could be against my former club Saracens - you couldn’t write the script if you tried!

“I’ve heard the matchday experience at Scotstoun is fantastic, the crowd really gets behind the team, they’re vocal and they’re loud.

“Glasgow Warriors play a really expansive and physical game, which is great and I’ve only heard good things about the club from former players.”

Glasgow Warriors Head Coach, Dave Rennie added: “It’s great that we’ve been able to obtain someone of Petrus’ experience at such short notice.

“He has played rugby at the highest level, is a good man and a really solid set piece operator.

“With Zander (Fagerson) and Siua (Halanukonuka) injured he brings some much needed depth at tight-head.”

Big Brian is away to Toulon.
There must be more to this than meets the eye. Glasgow and Scotland are hardly over burdened with talented young locks.

I have absolutely no evidence to back this up, however talk amongst a group of our fellow season ticket holders on Friday night was that he’d downed tools and was refusing to play.

That's a shame because he looked hugely promising. There are a few players in the NFL just now who are refusing to play because they say their contracted wages aren't worth the risk of getting injured.

Big Davison was promising on Saturday night but he's a long way from the finished article.

Teams for Glasgow v Sarries,

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Ruaridh Jackson, 14 Lee Jones, 13 Huw Jones, 12 Alex Dunbar, 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Adam Hastings, 9 Ali Price, 8 Matt Fagerson, 7 Callum Gibbins (cc), 6 Ryan Wilson (cc), 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Rob Harley, 3 D’Arcy Rae, 2 Fraser Brown, 1 Oli Kebble
Replacements: 16 George Turner, 17 Alex Allan, 18 Petrus du Plessis, 19 Greg Peterson, 20 Chris Fusaro, 21 George Horne, 22 Pete Horne, 23 Rory Hughes

Saracens: 15 Alex Goode, 14 David Strettle, 13 Alex Lozowski, 12 Brad Barritt, 11 Sean Maitland, 10 Owen Farrell, 9 Richard Wigglesworth, 8 Billy Vunipola, 7 Mike Rhodes, 6 Maro Itoje, 5 George Kruis, 4 Will Skelton, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Jamie George, 1 Mako Vunipola
Replacements: 16 Christopher Tolofua, 17 Richard Barrington, 18 Titi Lamositele, 19 Nick Isiekwe, 20 Jackson Wray, 21 Ben Spencer, 22 Nick Tompkins, 23 Liam Williams

Venue: Scotstoun
Kick-off: 15:15 BST (14:15 GMT) 
Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)
Assistant referees: Alexandre Ruiz (France), Thomas Charabas (France)
Television match official: Philippe Bonhoure (France)

15 minutes ago, same_ol_g35 said:

No Tommy Seymour? Haven't seen him on the injury report. 

Lee Jones is on a rich vein of form atm but would rather have Tommy starting with Jones benched. 

Also, Petrus du Plessis should be starting over D'arcy Rae. du Plessis knows this opponent and is more experienced in Europe with 2 titles.

Huw Jones is dangerous in attack but has been more lethal for Scotland tbh until just recently. He's going to have needed to nailed his defence this week as Sarries could cut through us like toffee otherwise.

Finally, Fagerson's good but would rather have Ashe starting, wherever he is...

Edited by come on shire

2 hours ago, same_ol_g35 said:

No Tommy Seymour? Haven't seen him on the injury report. 

There's a comment on Facebook suggesting he's absent for a family bereavement. No idea if it's true but would make sense given he's not listed as injured.

I can only see a big win for Sarries here unfortunately.

Edited by Jaggy Snake