Rugby Union

kiwififer

What is it then - have we gone backwards under Rennie or have we not progressed? Two years ago we had the same issues we have now, that we can't quite overpower the very top teams when we need to, and our decision making isn't quite where it needs to be at the very highest level.
I really couldn't give a flying f**k what Leinster fans do or don't accept, given it has no relevance. Am I happy that Glasgow aren't yet a very top level team? Absolutely not, but I don't descend into ridiculous hyperbole at every possible turn.
And it's exactly that attitude that keeps our teams and players back. Who is our leader on the pitch here?, Our Sexton, our Laidlaw???

Two years ago Saracens put 40 on Glasgow.

On their home patch, QF... Completely different circumstances. We say we don't have the power 2 yrs back, 1 yr back, now? Where is the progression. Where is our leader.. Fine lads, accept the state of affairs. We have moved backwards; Glasgow used to be feared at home... Now?

A good but frustrating performance. We should really be getting a losing bonus point after a tight game like that, and that could cost us in terms of qualification, but we just couldn't break them down in the end.

Glasgow are a good side but without Russell or Nakarawa we lack a truely top level creative player to make the ultimate difference.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
5 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:
What is it then - have we gone backwards under Rennie or have we not progressed? Two years ago we had the same issues we have now, that we can't quite overpower the very top teams when we need to, and our decision making isn't quite where it needs to be at the very highest level.
I really couldn't give a flying f**k what Leinster fans do or don't accept, given it has no relevance. Am I happy that Glasgow aren't yet a very top level team? Absolutely not, but I don't descend into ridiculous hyperbole at every possible turn.

And it's exactly that attitude that keeps our teams and players back. Who is our leader on the pitch here?, Our Sexton, our Laidlaw???

You are a clown. You've been saying we'll win this for ages and then when reality actually happens it's toys out the pram time.

Glasgow are playing with Harley at lock, a small back row with a 20 year old at 8, a novice 10 who was released by Bath and a winger and a full back released by clubs who Sarries regularly trounce. They brought on George Turner and Greg Peterson who are lucky to be pro players never mind playing in the Champions Cup. Leinster and Saracens strengthen every summer, Glasgow lose their best players.

A lot of players came out that game with great credit.

You are a clown. You've been saying we'll win this for ages and then when reality actually happens it's toys out the pram time.
Glasgow are playing with Harley at lock, a small back row with a 20 year old at 8, a novice 10 who was released by Bath and a winger and a full back released by clubs who Sarries regularly trounce. They brought on George Turner and Greg Peterson who are lucky to be pro players never mind playing in the Champions Cup. Leinster and Saracens strengthen every summer, Glasgow lose their best players.
A lot of players came out that game with great credit.
Clown? no need for the insults.
It is clear to see that Glasgow have gone backwards. Glaringly obvious holes that were evident against Saracens two years back, Exeter and Leinster last year have not been addressed. Far too light.
I'm optimistic, but to not get at least a losing BP is criminal.
We should be aiming high here not accepting a backwards slide

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
15 minutes ago, Detournement said:

On their home patch, QF... Completely different circumstances. We say we don't have the power 2 yrs back, 1 yr back, now? Where is the progression. Where is our leader.. Fine lads, accept the state of affairs. We have moved backwards; Glasgow used to be feared at home... Now?

If we have all these issues, why have you spent the whole week telling everyone Glasgow would win? An expert like you should have known that a team that has regressed and has no leaders would lose to one of Europe's top sides, regardless of the venue.

No-one is accepting it. Nobody is happy with that result. Our defence was immense and limited one of the two best teams in Europe to very few opportunities, but we were very poor in attack, and that cost us.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Clown? no need for the insults.
It is clear to see that Glasgow have gone backwards. Glaringly obvious holes that were evident against Saracens two years back, Exeter and Leinster last year have not been addressed. Far too light.
I'm optimistic, but to not get at least a losing BP is criminal.
We should be aiming high here not accepting a backwards slide

Why, given you clearly have no confidence in the coach or the players?

Why, given you clearly have no confidence in the coach or the players?
Because I am, I thought Rennie would pull something out the bag here, he didn't. Not a big fan of him. Leinster, Montpellier, Scarlets now Saracens. Massive games at home, massive failures... I expected one, not too much to hope for.

Good comments from Dave Rennie after the game.

"We're trying to pull out the miracle play. That's the disappointing factor, just turnover ball at critical times.

"A couple of times we could have kicked smarter to relieve pressure. Maybe some of our decision making wasn't good enough in the end but you can't fault attitude.

"I think Maro Itoje is a law unto himself, seems to get away with a fair bit,"

"Maybe they're a bit more streetwise in instigating some of their stuff and we got punished for it.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45858018

Tbh I expected to be gubbed today. I felt we did well and were unlucky the ref wasn't stronger and picked up on the nonsense. Amazed he never binned someone at the end of the first half. 

My disappointment was were not more streetwise and went for the losing bonus point. We should have kicked the penalty towards the end of the second half or gone for a drop goal in the last 2 mins. 

Hastings was poor- curse of Warrior of the month. 

Itoje being man of the match was hilarious. I didn't think he was that great but he permanently infringed and the referee let them away with it. 

30 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Tbh I expected to be gubbed today. I felt we did well and were unlucky the ref wasn't stronger and picked up on the nonsense. Amazed he never binned someone at the end of the first half. 

My disappointment was were not more streetwise and went for the losing bonus point. We should have kicked the penalty towards the end of the second half or gone for a drop goal in the last 2 mins. 

Hastings was poor- curse of Warrior of the month. 

Itoje being man of the match was hilarious. I didn't think he was that great but he permanently infringed and the referee let them away with it. 

Itoje had to be the man of the match - he had the single biggest influence of any player on the pitch.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, Detournement said:

Our leader is Gibbens or Wilson isn't  it? I think Glasgow are still feared at Scotstoun to some extent. That said we don't have the finances to dominate the very top end of the European game.  

Leinster operate on higher budgets than we do, with higher crowds. They have better depth and essentially 2 teams, a regular and big game team. In sport most money usually makes a difference. 

We are light on options and backup. A 10 like Russell at that point in his career would not be allowed to leave an Irish province in my view but we regularly need to rebuild with quality leaving for financial reasons. Leinster would have kept Russell for Europe and Hastings for all the run of the mill games IMO. 

I feel under Toony we did well with youngsters and unknowns coming through who weren't on much but were gems. 

3 hours ago, ajwffc said:

It was terrific. Jerome Garces didn't see anything in it despite watching replays. French referees must do UFC gigs now too. 

Can't help wonder if it there was any history given Steenson's involvement at Irish youth level?

It was terrific. Jerome Garces didn't see anything in it despite watching replays. French referees must do UFC gigs now too. 
Can't help wonder if it there was any history given Steenson's involvement at Irish youth level?

That eejit we had yesterday would have carded the Exeter player for not getting out the way

I can see both sides of the argument with Glasgow,

On the one hand we seem to have gone backwards since winning the Pro12 as it was under Townsend, and apart from getting to the quarters once have not managed to compete with the big boys in Europe. Its also been glaringly obvious we cant grind out results, and under Rennie now in his second season in charge we are not seeing any progress. Its been obvious to everyone we need some beef up front, but we made no moves over the summer to rectify this.

On the other the budget at Glasgow is dwarfed by teams in the Premeriship and France, and in Ireland also and we dont have the finances to buy our way to a better squad. We already have one of the biggest squads in world rugby, due to the fact we lose so many players to internationals and we simply cant afford the same quality as everyone else.

On the game of the bits I saw, we actually fronted up will in the forwards, and didn't go backwards in the scrums, defended excellently,  it was more in attack were we had issues, and again is down to a lack of composure, or looking for the killer pass when just taking the tackle and recycling is a better option. Plus we obviously had some poor decisions go against us, but you have to make your own luck at times. Dunbar going off was a blow as he usually gets us over the gainline which gives us momentum which in turn makes space for Jones, and the back 3. I like Fagersson and think he is going to be a big player for us, but would maybe be better at 6 rather than 8. We dont really have anyone else (and haven't since Strauss left) that is a big dominating ball carrier in the forwards. 

15 minutes ago, honestly united said:

We dont really have anyone else (and haven't since Strauss left) that is a big dominating ball carrier in the forwards. 

I'd like to see Ashe being fit enough to do it but he's often injured. Often felt Big Brian might have been a decent ball carrier at 8.