Rugby Union

kiwififer

8 weeks for Conway and 4 for the Saracens player IMO.

Eta. Actually, Finn got 2 weeks for literally keeping his eye on the ball and standing still a few years ago, so add another 2 weeks onto each.

Edited by afca32

Sunday was a big disappointment.  At least we stopped Sarries getting a winning BP by defending well and keeping things tight.  It was the worst reffing display I have ever witnessed.  Maitland was in touch when he set up their try so the rest of the officials need to take a serious look at themselves too.

That apart we didn't help ourselves even if we were unlucky to miss a losing BP.  If we want to be a serious European team then we need to be winning home games vs other top sides.  Though the score was tight and we did apply pressure at times we never looked like scoring a try.  Hastings missing that simple kick at 0-0 a la Freddie Burns didn't help either. 

Cardiff's a MUST win.  If we don't at least we can expect Sarries to BP Lyon in London.  Then we would need 10 points home and away to Lyon who would rest players by that point.  

If we don't then it's back to the ordinary Pro14 with yet another year of doing little in Europe.  We have players capable of playing at that level but there's others who can't.  This needs addressed but budget's a big factor too.  Premier Sports bigger deal helps but more's needed.  We've never heard any more of the SRU's plan to open their doors to outside investors. 

Gaining more independence from the SRU to seek our own extra investment could help too.  Glasgow don't own Scotstoun outright but there's the Lowland League football team BSC Glasgow ground sharing at Alloa who've tried and failed to ground share at Scotstoun or even to ring-fence the side pitch (where they train).  If Glasgow didn't make any money at least with another sports team the rent would reduce to free up cash.  However it is what it is I guess :/

Sarries Alex Lozowski cited on TWO accounts. Law 9.20 Dangerous play in a ruck or maul (without binding onto another player) & Law 9.13 Dangerous tackling. How there weren't any others cited with him, i don't know. At least one of them will be punished and quite a bit for 2 things.

Backs: A Davies (Ospreys), G Davies (Scarlets), T Williams (Cardiff Blues), G Anscombe (Cardiff Blues), D Biggar (Northampton), R Patchell (Scarlets), J Davies (Scarlets), T Morgan (Dragons), H Parkes (Scarlets), O Watkin (Ospreys), J Adams (Worcester), S Evans (Scarlets), L Halfpenny (Scarlets), J Holmes (Leicester), L Morgan (Ospreys), G North (Ospreys), L Williams (Saracens).

Forwards: R Evans (Scarlets), W Jones (Scarlets), N Smith (Ospreys), E Dee (Dragons), R Elias (Scarlets), K Owens (Scarlets), L Brown (Dragons), T Francis (Exeter), S Lee (Scarlets), D Lewis (Cardiff Blues), J Ball (Scarlets), A Beard (Ospreys), B Davies (Ospreys), C Hill (Dragons), A W Jones (Ospreys, capt), E Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), D Lydiate (Ospreys), R Moriarty (Dragons), J Tipuric (Ospreys), A Wainwright (Dragons).

Josh Navidi picked up an injury on Sunday there which is a big blow for Cardiff and a stroke of luck for Glasgow.

The Test in Cardiff is going to be tough without Russell, Laidlaw, Maitland and Hogg.

35 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It's unbelievable that Kaino has been cited for Jamie Roberts running straight into him and not Conway for taking out Steenson.

Agreed. Wonder if it was because of the review and 'red card test'. That said it was a red for me. 

The main thing that seems to decide who gets cited and what ban is who you are and who you play for. Lozowski will get a couple of games as he's a nice low profile Sarries player so the perfect sacrificial lamb so the authorities are seen to do something after Sunday's farce, without going after any big names.

Kaino could be fucked as he plays for a French team, is a big enough name to make an example of, and doesn't play for an NH international team.

Irish players very rarely get cited, and even if they do it's even rarer for them to be banned.

Blade Thomson has a grandad from Wishaw and Sam Skinner has a grandparent from Ayr.

A few big names missing in Cardiff but it's a charity game mostly.  I'd be happy for Toony to experiment with his tactics and the squad staying injury-free then go for it in the 3 home games tbh.

My query is why Adam Ashe wasn't selected.  Started this season well and should be considered unlucky.  Sam Hidalgo-Clyne is absent too.  I've noticed that he's playing 2nd fiddle to Gareth Davies at the Scarlets but had a decent summer for Scotland nevertheless...

Two week ban. Clearout would have been a red card offence (laughably referee gave penalty to Saracens though!!) High tackle was ok after hearing and reviewing additional evidence including that of Jackson. 

I accept referees have a tough job but do questions not need asked of TMO and referee here?  

SHC is better off playing for Scarlets during the break. Ashe was left out the Glasgow squad on form. If he wants to play for Scotland he'll have to raise his game.

We can't get twatted in Cardiff again. Here's my team.

Dell McInally Nel

Gray Gilchrist

Bradbury Watson Wilson

Pyrgos Hastings

Seymour Dunbar Jones Jones

Kinghorn

Henry over Price to kick.

Two week ban. Clearout would have been a red card offence (laughably referee gave penalty to Saracens though!!) High tackle was ok after hearing and reviewing additional evidence including that of Jackson. 
I accept referees have a tough job but do questions not need asked of TMO and referee here?  
And the reply actually has the cheek to ask why it wasn't reduced from 2 weeks?

Never heard of Skinner, all the talk of the Exeter 2nd row getting called up was that it was Ollie Atkins who we capped for Scotland A.

Suprised about Thompson as he had said he wanted to concentrate on playing well for Scarlets, although I suppose the carrot of playing at the world cup was too much to pass up.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

19 hours ago, GAD said:

Lozowski will get a couple of games as he's a nice low profile Sarries player so the perfect sacrificial lamb so the authorities are seen to do something after Sunday's farce, without going after any big names.

Called it, well the Lozowski part anyway!

I think the Scotland squad is decent. We are short at second row just now, so calling up Skinner makes sense. I think he played a lot for Exeter over the last couple of years. He was certainly playing on the weekend, and adds a bit of grunt. I think he could become a big player for us and he's only 23. Thompson is a no brainer as well. Been on fire for Scarlets and we don't have too many like him, and no 8 is a bit of a problem position.

56 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

Guess Gary Graham is gone for good? 

I think he fucked it, but I feel a bit sorry for him. He's pretty much been messed around first by Scotland, then by England. He did that big "I love England and have always felt English" interview as well, then never got a minute of game time. I guess he's probably resigned now to the fact he'll probably never play international rugby, and being English qualified is better for his career.