Rugby Union

kiwififer

9 out of the 15 players who started against the ABs with Dell, Nel and Wilson being upgrades on Marfo, Z Fagerson and Du Preez.

It's a big step up for Ritchie and Hastings and a lot of responsibility on Kinghorn at FB. Ali Price has a chance for redemption after the 6 Nation game.

23 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

We are playing fucking Wales? Can't we play NZ, SA or Australia, I thought that was the point of the Autumn internationals? 

We've got Fiji, Argentina and SA for the AI's. This is a bonus game so the SRU can afford to offer new contracts to Hogg and Gray in hte hope we dont lose them to France or England.

I don't understand how our players would switch to England or France? Sorry, I'm only a part-time rugby fan. 
It is move on French, English clubs for more money and the SRU loses access to them outside the international windows

I don't understand how our players would switch to England or France? Sorry, I'm only a part-time rugby fan. 

Scotland can only pick home based players for games outside international windows. Some teams like Australia and South Africa outright refuse to pick anyone who doesn’t play domestically. Wales do all they can to dissuade it, and Scotland play soft ball as their playing pool is substantially smaller than those teams and can’t afford to lose the best players.

If Finn Russell was Australian, he would no longer be considered for international duty.

In the end, it’s the extent to which a player is motivated by money, but for Scottish players it’s just a question of where they fancy playing.

Then there’s the thorny issue of the incredibly lax residency rules. Were a Scottish player so inclined, he could go and play in France for five times the money, and in three years play for them. Tommy Allen essentially did that for Italy, although there are familial ties in his case too.

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 12:42, Mark Connolly said:

Super 6 announced - http://www.scottishrugby.org/news/18/05/01/scottish-rugby-unveils-franchises-form-super-6

Ayr, Melrose, County, Boroughmuir, Heriots, Watsonians.

Traditionally the SRU could be accused of Edinburgh bias, but I don’t think that can be levelled this time when only half the franchises have been awarded to EH teams...

Bump.

Big fall out and some current tier 2 clubs have written to SRU asking them to delay starting the 'Super 6' by 1 season. This was after it emerged SRU intend to let the 6 forming clubs not only leave their reserve XVs in the main league system, but in the top level (unless they finish in relegation positions). Previously they'd wanted them in the second level - the clubs want them in the separate reserve leagues - but some "weasel words" in the consultation documents are apparently being exploited by the governing body.

This has also come as startling news for all 4 of the current top level sides not joining the 'Super 6' as they had expected to still be at that level next season... Glasgow Hawks, Hawick and Edinburgh Accies currently occupy bottom 3 places; Currie's 3rd.

4 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Scotland can only pick home based players for games outside international windows. Some teams like Australia and South Africa outright refuse to pick anyone who doesn’t play domestically. Wales do all they can to dissuade it, and Scotland play soft ball as their playing pool is substantially smaller than those teams and can’t afford to lose the best players.

If Finn Russell was Australian, he would no longer be considered for international duty.

In the end, it’s the extent to which a player is motivated by money, but for Scottish players it’s just a question of where they fancy playing.

Then there’s the thorny issue of the incredibly lax residency rules. Were a Scottish player so inclined, he could go and play in France for five times the money, and in three years play for them. Tommy Allen essentially did that for Italy, although there are familial ties in his case too.

I'm pretty sure Tommy Allan was born in Italy, and his mother is Italian. I don't even think he was ever offered a pro contract by the SRU for Edinburgh or Glasgow, though obviously he played for Scotland at U20 level. Also, the residency rules have been changed, it's five years now, though it's only for players freshly arrived, so we will probably see Oli Kebble in a Scotland shirt in 2020.

46 minutes ago, GAD said:

I'm pretty sure Tommy Allan was born in Italy, and his mother is Italian. I don't even think he was ever offered a pro contract by the SRU for Edinburgh or Glasgow, though obviously he played for Scotland at U20 level. Also, the residency rules have been changed, it's five years now, though it's only for players freshly arrived, so we will probably see Oli Kebble in a Scotland shirt in 2020.

Born in Vicenza although his old man was indeed Scottish.

Not sure if SH was thinking of George Biagi.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Bump.

Big fall out and some current tier 2 clubs have written to SRU asking them to delay starting the 'Super 6' by 1 season. This was after it emerged SRU intend to let the 6 forming clubs not only leave their reserve XVs in the main league system, but in the top level (unless they finish in relegation positions). Previously they'd wanted them in the second level - the clubs want them in the separate reserve leagues - but some "weasel words" in the consultation documents are apparently being exploited by the governing body.

This has also come as startling news for all 4 of the current top level sides not joining the 'Super 6' as they had expected to still be at that level next season... Glasgow Hawks, Hawick and Edinburgh Accies currently occupy bottom 3 places; Currie's 3rd.

Is it not better to look at the Super Six as a completely new level of competition?

So the 6 teams will have their semi pro squad in the Super 6 but also their amateur squad in the current set up.

7 hours ago, come on shire said:

That day will be good. The thought of seeing Callum Gibbins in a Scotland shirt one day though is a delightful one.

I'm not sure Gibbins will play for Scotland to be honest, as nice as it would be. I think he must be about 30 now, and though I'm not 100% sure when his residency period will be complete, I guess he'll be 31/32 by the time he's eligible. It's not really our style to go for a guy like that, at that age. Especially with Watson, Wilson, Bradbury, Ritchie, Fagurson all being younger than him.

I'm not sure Gibbins will play for Scotland to be honest, as nice as it would be. I think he must be about 30 now, and though I'm not 100% sure when his residency period will be complete, I guess he'll be 31/32 by the time he's eligible. It's not really our style to go for a guy like that, at that age. Especially with Watson, Wilson, Bradbury, Ritchie, Fagurson all being younger than him.
You are correct he is 30 and has 2 years to go for his residency period. So it will be either 2020 summer tour(31) or autumn internationals(32) he will be eligible for Scotland.