Rugby Union

kiwififer

4 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Win plus bonus point plus clean sheet - can't ask for more.

That being said - I thought our handling at times was poor - both our centres had pretty tame games.

we've gone from having some of the most exciting centres in world rugby, to looking to be lucky to break the line. To be fair Grigg and Jones were anonymous for Glasgow, but Scott and Bennett were class for Edinburgh, although it was against the zebre who are poor at the best of times, but were down half a team.

Job done, very professional from us I thought.

Sam Johnson had the quietest game I've seen from him for either Glasgow or Scotland, and Harris isn't an attacking threat the way some of the others are, but defensively they were immense, nothing got through the middle, and Harris especially carried really hard. Ritchie and Gray were awesome, as were McInally and Brown when he came on.

Samoa will be whistled off the park against Japan. Gauzure gave us two penalty tries there yet it's still fair to say he kept them in it. 

I thought the first few minutes when we owned the gain line set the tempo. Nel, Gray, Bradbury, Ritchie, Russell and Maitland were superb. Fraser Brown was class off the bench as well.

I thought we were good. Our attack isn't quite clicking, I think we lost a bit by having Johnson and Harris, but they both absolutely dominated Samoa in defence so that's the trade off. We are still in it though, it's in our hands.

44 minutes ago, GAD said:

We are still in it though, it's in our hands.

Are we, I'm still not sure how it shakes out after Japan beating Ireland? 

If we beat Russia with a bonus, then get a narrow win against Japan, what the hell happens then? 

(assuming Japan and Ireland also get BP victories, against Russia & Samoa) 

Confused.com

11 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

What about if it's a high scoring narrow win i.e. Japan get a losing BP and a 4 try BP? Surely we'd be out?

It was more the three way tie between Japan, Ireland and ourselves. 

I suppose Ireland after getting BP against us, would need to win without BP against Samoa for that to happen. 

I'd still expect Ireland to get two BP wins over Samoa and Russia, which would take them to 16.

A Japan BP win over Samoa would mean we need a BP win over Russia, and then a BP win by more than 7 points over Japan. I'm not convinced the Japan BP against Samoa is as much of a given as most are making out.

If Scotland weren't involved in this, I'd think it was absolutely brilliant entertainment, but it just gives me the fear that we could go out with 3 BP wins because we shat the bed against Ireland, and they shat the bed against Japan. Come on Scotland, come on Samoa, come on the typhoon.

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

A Japan BP win over Samoa would mean we need a BP win over Russia, and then a BP win by more than 7 points over Japan. I'm not convinced the Japan BP against Samoa is as much of a given as most are making out.

We wouldn't need a BP win by more than 7 against Japan, a win on its own would do so long as they didn't any bonus points (we'd both be on 14 but we win the H2H). Though Japan would know they'd need two bonus points to not only guarantee qualification but also to top the group and avoid NZ in the QF.