Rugby Union

kiwififer

The Irish have made quite a few changes today, but it'll be a comfortable bonus point win. 

Difficult handling conditions again, coupled with Russia's first half performances against Japan and Samoa means I'm taking Putin's lads with 26.5 points on the 1st half handicap.

2 minutes ago, Kejan said:

A bit off topic ; but have noticed they play music from a band/artist from the country that just scored e.g Thin Lizzy there for Ireland.

What did they play for us? Proclaimers?

Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger

And since @pozbaird hasn't mentioned it yet, there's another colour clash with the red and green for those who are colourblind, though the shorts are white which helps a bit.

63-0, sigh.  It's even more annoying that the Americans only lost 33-9 against France as Rugby used to be one of the few sports where we were better than them.  We will always have Curling though

Edited by senorsoupe

Watching it. Ireland are playing pure shite to be honest and making basic mistakes. The RTE panel ripped the team a new one at half time. Its plodding error ridden rugby. But the bonus point has been secured. 

Mon morning vs Samoa was night and day compared to the showing vs Ireland. Samoa were woeful but we deserved the win and the BP too as the penalty tries were correct imo.

Russia showing just now that they're limited but really stubborn. Maybe an entire 2nd XV might not be the best idea?

4 minutes ago, denltfc said:

Watching it. Ireland are playing pure shite to be honest and making basic mistakes. The RTE panel ripped the team a new one at half time. Its plodding error ridden rugby. But the bonus point has been secured. 

It's in the same place as Scotland played Samoa isn't it? I'm guessing it's tough conditions again. That place is obviously the shitfest ground.

Russia have been excellent at the breakdown and the humidity obviously makes handling ridiculous, but if Ireland play like this against Samoa they’re far from guaranteed a BP.

Am I right in saying that in the event you have a three way tie on points and you can’t separate the teams on head to head - ie Ireland beat us, Japan beat Ireland and we beat Japan with the bonus point permutations resulting in all on 15 points - the team with the best points difference of the three finishes top then it goes to the head to head between the other two? So in that scenario if Ireland had the highest PD they’d win it with us second, if Japan had it it they’d be first with Ireland second and if it was us then Japan would be second?

I’d expect Ireland to get the job done to get to 16 points anyway but it’d be laugh if we thought Samoa were doing us a favour by preventing their BP and that somehow ended up putting us out.

team for Friday night - suprised Frisby has kept his place seeing as he was hooked after 40mins last weekend. Thought it was even more noticeable last week how little Gibbins does without the ball

Glasgow Warriors: Jackson, Steyn, Jones, McDowall, Hughes, Thomson, Frisby; Kebble, Stewart, Rae, McDonald, Swinson, Harley, Gibbins (capt), Fagerson.

Replacements: Matthews, Allan, Nicol, Gordon, Fusaro, Dobie, Kelly, Bryce.

7 minutes ago, honestly united said:

team for Friday night - suprised Frisby has kept his place seeing as he was hooked after 40mins last weekend. Thought it was even more noticeable last week how little Gibbins does without the ball

Glasgow Warriors: Jackson, Steyn, Jones, McDowall, Hughes, Thomson, Frisby; Kebble, Stewart, Rae, McDonald, Swinson, Harley, Gibbins (capt), Fagerson.

Replacements: Matthews, Allan, Nicol, Gordon, Fusaro, Dobie, Kelly, Bryce.

In Gibbins defence though the whole team looked unfit and floundering compared to a full-strength Cheetahs who had been playing in the Currie Cup over the summer. However I agree with you to an extent. He can control a game at Pro14 level but can be a tad anonymous in Europe.

Totally agree about Frisbee though. He set up a try on Fri night but he's never really impressed me. He'll be on the bench at best when Price is fit again and G. Horne gets back.

We need to be much improved on Fri night or Johnny McNichol will have a field day.

1 hour ago, come on shire said:

Mon morning vs Samoa was night and day compared to the showing vs Ireland. Samoa were woeful but we deserved the win and the BP too as the penalty tries were correct imo.

Russia showing just now that they're limited but really stubborn. Maybe an entire 2nd XV might not be the best idea?

I don't think we have a choice to be honest. We need to protect our key players for the Japan game, especially if the game against Russia is going to be particularly physical. Truth is, guys like Fagerson, Turner, Toolis, Cummings, the Hornes, Hastings, Kinghorn etc shouldn't be in Japan if they can't deal with this game. Russia will be playing their fourth game, with much the same players as they have all the way through. Our guys will be fresh and should be raring to go.

I don't think we have a choice to be honest. We need to protect our key players for the Japan game, especially if the game against Russia is going to be particularly physical. Truth is, guys like Fagerson, Turner, Toolis, Cummings, the Hornes, Hastings, Kinghorn etc shouldn't be in Japan if they can't deal with this game. Russia will be playing their fourth game, with much the same players as they have all the way through. Our guys will be fresh and should be raring to go.
Second team has to play. They will win comfortably

With Russia you are talking about a team at the level of Zebre if that. With Horne, Hastings, Kinghorn, Graham and Seymour all playing you have to fancy us to get some tries. I didn't see the Ireland game but by the sounds of it they kept it quite tight whereas we will definitely play a fast game. We are always good for a maul try or two in these games as well which helps.

The Glasgow game will be a tester and hopefully they get a reaction. It's good to see McDonald starting and Tom Gordon on the bench. Those guys have to step up as Harley, Swinson, Gibbins and Fusaro are getting on and realistically have a season or two left. I was looking at the Cheetahs squad and most of their forwards were 24 or under which isn't surprising considering how mobile the pack was. The big lock Walt Steenkamp is someone Glasgow should be looking at it. It seems strange that Edinburgh have a platoon of Saffers and Glasgow have none.

1 hour ago, come on shire said:

In Gibbins defence though the whole team looked unfit and floundering compared to a full-strength Cheetahs who had been playing in the Currie Cup over the summer. However I agree with you to an extent. He can control a game at Pro14 level but can be a tad anonymous in Europe.

Totally agree about Frisbee though. He set up a try on Fri night but he's never really impressed me. He'll be on the bench at best when Price is fit again and G. Horne gets back.

We need to be much improved on Fri night or Johnny McNichol will have a field day.

We had 12 full internationals playing last week and still looked woeful. Due to the world cup the league kicked off 3 weeks later than normal, so hte players have had either an additional 3 weeks holiday so should be fresher from the break, or 3 weeks extra training, so should be in better condition. Im hoping i was just the altitude that was a factor or we could be struggling this year.