Rugby Union

kiwififer

Much easier win than I expected - probably the worst Samoan team to face us in a very long time.

Is this down to Samoans opting for the All Blacks instead of their own country?
They have 18 players born in New Zealand or Australia and out of the 14 born in Samoa. Only 3 learned their rugby in Samoa with the rest getting developed by Kiwi and Australian sides.

were lucky that Ireland (vs Russia) and Japan (vs Samoa)  both have there third games before we play Russia, and Ireland play their last game against Samoa the day before we play Japan - I've no idea what happens if all 3 finish on 15 points - i am assuming points difference (as Ireland beat us, lost to Japan and we beat Japn?)

1 hour ago, honestly united said:

were lucky that Ireland (vs Russia) and Japan (vs Samoa)  both have there third games before we play Russia, and Ireland play their last game against Samoa the day before we play Japan - I've no idea what happens if all 3 finish on 15 points - i am assuming points difference (as Ireland beat us, lost to Japan and we beat Japn?)

Aye it would be points difference which means we need to run the score up on Russia.

I can't see Ireland getting 15 though. They will get 16 unless the Russia game is Typhoon'd off then it will be 13.

I'd still expect Ireland to get two BP wins over Samoa and Russia, which would take them to 16.
A Japan BP win over Samoa would mean we need a BP win over Russia, and then a BP win by more than 7 points over Japan. I'm not convinced the Japan BP against Samoa is as much of a given as most are making out.
If Scotland weren't involved in this, I'd think it was absolutely brilliant entertainment, but it just gives me the fear that we could go out with 3 BP wins because we shat the bed against Ireland, and they shat the bed against Japan. Come on Scotland, come on Samoa, come on the typhoon.
We don't necessarily need a bonus point win against Japan based on your scenario. A 4 0 return would be exactly same as your 5 1

Much easier win than I expected - probably the worst Samoan team to face us in a very long time.

Is this down to Samoans opting for the All Blacks instead of their own country?

Brief Summary

The SRU (their one as opposed to ours) is either corrupt or incompetent but probably both

The IRB have chucked lots of development money at it but it’s unclear where it went. Players don’t always get paid and tournament preparation is clearly inadequate. Some players have quit the national team

The Samoan Government should really investigate but as the head the of the SRU is also the Prime Minister that seems unlikely

11 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Probably because they want to sell away shirts. I just saw a bit of today's game and immediately thought of you when I saw what kits they were wearing! 😄

Why thank you. I know, I’m a moaning faced auld git about this kit thing, but really, it’s a World Cup, how hard can it be not to have two teams in blue shirts?

Anyway, well played Scotland, did what they had to do.

4 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

It wasn't intended as a dig. If Scotland get through, it will likely be New Zealand. Will Scotland play in their virtually black top against the All Blacks? 

Better not, my blood pressure couldn’t take it. Still recovering from watching Canberra Raiders v South Sydney with both teams wearing green(ish) shirts. Grrrrrrr.

If my calculations are correct, if we beat Russia with a BP and Japan fail to achieve a BP win over Samoa then any win over Japan will do for us, except for some weird scenario where we win without a BP but they manage to get 2 BP. 

If Japan do manage a 4-try win over Samoa then we'd need to do one of the following two things against Japan:

1. Win and stop them scoring a bonus point

2. Win with a bonus point and stop them scoring 2 bonus points

All of the above assumed Ireland get to 16 and top the pool.

Edited by Donathan

Brief Summary

The SRU (their one as opposed to ours) is either corrupt or incompetent but probably both

Mainly the first part with a little of the 2nd

They currently receive (as do the other Pacific sides) $10 million a year in funding from World Rugby. World Rugby are all so supplying most of the funding for their youth program.

REFEREE APPOINTMENTS

ROUND 2

Friday, October 4

Leinster Rugby v Ospreys Rugby – KO 19:35
RDS Arena, Dublin
Referee: Stuart Berry (SARU, 25th Championship appearance)
AR1: Stuart Gaffigan (IRFU) AR2: Mark Patton (IRFU)
TMO: Brian MacNeice (IRFU)
Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 2, DAZN, SuperSport 2, TG4,
Deferred: S4C – Sunday, 16:10

Glasgow Warriors v Scarlets – KO 19:35
Scotstoun Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 116th Championship appearance)
AR1: Ben Blain (SRU) AR2: Chris Busby (IRFU)
TMO: Simon MacDowell (IRFU)
Live on eir Sport 2, Premier Sports 1, DAZN
Deferred: S4C – Monday, 22:05

Saturday, October 5

Isuzu Southern Kings v Munster Rugby – KO 15:00 (SA) / 16:00 (UK)
Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium, Port Elizabeth
Referee: Dan Jones (WRU, 26th Championship appearance)
AR1: Mike Adamson (SRU) AR2: Paul Mente (SARU)
TMO: Christie Du Preez (SARU)
Live on eir Sport 1 Premier Sports 2, DAZN Super Sport 2

Zebre Rugby Club v Dragons – KO 17:00 (ITA) / 18:00 (UK)
Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, Parma
Referee: Sean Gallagher (IRFU, 15th Championship appearance)
AR1: Andrea Piardi (FIR) AR2: Johnny Erskine (IRFU)
TMO: Leo Colgan (IRFU)
Live on eir Sport 2, FreeSports, DAZN

Toyota Cheetahs v Ulster Rugby – KO 17:15 (SA) / 18:15 (UK)
Toyota Stadium, Bloemfontein
Referee: Ian Davies (WRU, 77th Championship appearance)
AR1: Craig Evans (WRU) AR2: Griffin Colby (SARU)
TMO: Johan Greeff (SARU)
Live on eir Sport 1, Premier Sports 2, DAZN, Super Sport 2

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh – KO 17:15
Cardiff Arms Park, Cardiff
Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU, 25th Championship appearance)
AR1: Ben Whitehouse (WRU) AR2: Rob O’Sullivan (IRFU)
TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)
Live on eir Sport 2, S4C, DAZN

Connacht Rugby v Benetton Rugby – KO 19:35

The Sportsground, Galway

Referee: Rasta Rasivhenge (SARU, 1st Championship appearance)
AR1: Sam Grove-White (SRU) AR2: Ian Kenny (SRU)
TMO: Charles Samson (SRU)
Live on TG4 (exclusive), Premier Sports 1, DAZN, Super Sport 2

Read more at https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/referee-appointments/#hVVIo503Qb6iAbCv.99

Impressed by this ref so far, correctly picking up on French offsides rather than ignoring them as many refs do for Tier 1 nations. The US are looking a lot better than they did against England, but their missed tackle count is still going to result in a comfortable France win.