Rugby Union

kiwififer

Russia have been excellent at the breakdown and the humidity obviously makes handling ridiculous, but if Ireland play like this against Samoa they’re far from guaranteed a BP.
Am I right in saying that in the event you have a three way tie on points and you can’t separate the teams on head to head - ie Ireland beat us, Japan beat Ireland and we beat Japan with the bonus point permutations resulting in all on 15 points - the team with the best points difference of the three finishes top then it goes to the head to head between the other two? So in that scenario if Ireland had the highest PD they’d win it with us second, if Japan had it it they’d be first with Ireland second and if it was us then Japan would be second?
I’d expect Ireland to get the job done to get to 16 points anyway but it’d be laugh if we thought Samoa were doing us a favour by preventing their BP and that somehow ended up putting us out.
Valid point but I'd imagine if we all finished on 15 points, us with Russia still to play plus we'd have to beat Japan to get to 15, our points difference would be superior

As it stands, Japan are 17 points better off than us. With us playing Russia and them playing Samoa, I think that would come in a bit.

If it's a 3 way tie, you'd imagine Ireland are OK. They are 40 points better than us at the moment, and 23 ahead of Japan. With us having to play Japan, it's unlikely we would both overhaul them on PD while still all being on 15 points.

10 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
16 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:
Oaft. Naughty.

Horrendous by Italian, should be banned for that. Wayne Barnes has been excellent so far.

Just bizarre. A great break, down to the 5 metre line, penalty advantage, ref blows to bring it back, then 2 of your players dump tackle after the whistle.

Incredible levels of stupidity.

Italy are atrocious. They are not a tier 1 nation. They have never made a QF in RWC. O'Shea has taken them backwards

Said to my mate before the tournament that it was a shame they’re in a pool with Canada and Namibia because there’s a number of tier 2 nations I would back to beat them (Japan, Fiji, USA, Tonga, Samoa, possibly Georgia).

If they finished 4th in their pool they’d have to qualify for 2023 which would allow us to answer the question once and for all of how they compare to Romania/Georgia

Italy easily beat Georgia last year. Japan are the only team who are possibly on their level. 
Ireland nearly got nil'd by Wales. We nearly got nil'd by Ireland. Oz got nil'd by New Zealand. That's just this year, these things happen to Tier 1 nations. 
They didn't beat them easily, by about 11 points in Italy.. Georgia would beat them in Tbilisi and Georgia got hammered by Fiji. Italy are shite