Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

South Africa are just brutal to watch.

Like the Southern hemisphere Wales.

Don't think they'll win the competition.

Just thinking though - the semi against Wales is going to be absolutely turgid.

FFS - I'm in clashing agreement with you.  There's a first.

The Welsh don't deserve a semi-final place but that was all down to France being arseholes the French lock being an arsehole..

South Africa though?  They have almost always played cynical, ugly rugby and today was no exception.  That they would grind their way to a win was not at all surprising but it was a horrible watch.

I do hope that SA batter Wales in the semi, though.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

FFS - I'm in clashing agreement with you.  There's a first.

The Welsh don't deserve a semi-final place but that was all down to France being arseholes the French lock being an arsehole..

South Africa though?  They have almost always played cynical, ugly rugby and today was no exception.  That they would grind their way to a win was not at all surprising but it was a horrible watch.

I do hope that SA batter Wales in the semi, though.

Agreeing with Kinc, jesus.

Aye, SA are the absolute results over everything side. All brutal force and nothing else.

20 minutes ago, Comrie said:

Agreeing with Kinc, jesus.

Aye, SA are the absolute results over everything side. All brutal force and nothing else.

What's worse is that you're agreeing with me agreeing with DeeTillEhDeh and that has never been done before!

When I played Yooni rugby in the early 80s, and London was a 'white flight' city for Saffers and Rhodesians, even the blokes from Zimbabwe detested the 'ropes'.

Edited by The_Kincardine

50 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Dave Rennie's the bookies fave to replace Michael Cheika as the Wallabies head coach.

Maybe it'll be a swap deal lol?

If Rennie does go, will Glasgow look to get Townsend back ??  With all the post-WC conjecture, I wonder if the Glasgow gig would appeal to him ??

Then, that would leave the Scotland job open for . . . . . . . .  ??

If Rennie does go, will Glasgow look to get Townsend back ??  With all the post-WC conjecture, I wonder if the Glasgow gig would appeal to him ??
Then, that would leave the Scotland job open for . . . . . . . .  ??

I think Townsend will want to go to France, before he goes back to Glasgow.

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
3 hours ago, come on shire said:
Dave Rennie's the bookies fave to replace Michael Cheika as the Wallabies head coach.
Maybe it'll be a swap deal lol?

Good, he's been pish for Glasgow

With respect I'm not sure about that. In his 1st season he got us to a home play-off in the Pro14. In his 2nd season he got us to the quarter finals of the European Champs Cup and the Pro14 final. 

EFEREE APPOINTMENTS

ROUND 4

Friday, October 25

Ulster Rugby v Cardiff Blues – KO 19:35

Kingspan Stadium, Belfast 

Referee: Mike Adamson (SRU, 38th Championship appearance)

AR1: Sean Gallagher (IRFU) AR2: Dave Sutherland (SRU)

TMO: Neil Paterson (SRU)

Live on eir sport 2, Premier Sports 1, S4C, Supersport 5, DAZN, PRO14.tv

Munster Rugby v Ospreys – KO 19:35

Irish Independent Park, Cork

Referee: Stuart Berry (SARU, 26th Championship appearance)

AR1: Stuart Gaffigan (IRFU) AR2: Paul Haycock (IRFU)

TMO: Charles Samson (SRU)

Live on eir sport 1, Premier Sports 2, TG4, DAZN, PRO14.tv

Deferred: Sunday 14:05 S4C

Saturday, October 26

Benetton Rugby v Isuzu Southern Kings KO 15:00 (UK) / 16:00 (ITA & SA)

Stadio Monigo, Treviso

Referee: Dan Jones (WRU, 27th Championship appearance)

AR1: Marius Mitrea (FIR) AR2: Dai Cambourne (WRU)

TMO: Tim Hayes (WRU)

Live on eir sport 2, FreeSports, Supersport 2, DAZN, PRO14.tv

Dragons v Glasgow Warriors – KO 15:00

Rodney Parade, Newport

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 117th Championship appearance)

AR1: Simon Rees (WRU) AR2: Chris Busby (IRFU)

TMO: Simon McDowell (IRFU)

Live on eir sport 1, Premier Sports 2, DAZN, PRO14.tv

Zebre Rugby Club v Leinster Rugby – KO 17:15 (UK) / 18:15 (ITA)

Stadio Sergio Lanfranchi, PArma

Referee: Craig Evans (WRU, 7th Championship appearance)

AR1: Manuel Bottino (FIR), AR2: Chris Williams (WRU)

TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

Live on eir sport 1, Premier Sports 2, DAZN, PRO14.tv

Connacht v Cheetahs – KO 17:15 (UK) / 18:15 (SA)

The Sportsground, Galway

Referee: Ben Whitehouse (WRU, 61st Championship appearance)

AR1: Sean Gallagher (IRFU) AR2: Gwyn Morris (WRU)

TMO: Sean Brickell (IRFU)

Live on eir sport 2, Premier Sports 1, Supersport 2, TG4, DAZN, PRO14.tv

Edinburgh v Scarlets – KO 19:35

BT Murrayfield, Edinburgh

Referee: Frank Murphy (IRFU, 27th Championship appearance)

AR1: Sam Grove-White (SRU) AR2: Eddie Hogan O’Connell (IRFU)

TMO: Olly Hodges (IRFU)

Live on eir sport 2, Premier Sports 2, Supersport 2, DAZN, PRO14.tv

Deferred: 14:05 on S4C

Read more at https://www.pro14rugby.org/match-centre/referee-appointments/#iFWmjAJM77APSBZK.99

If Rennie got the Australia job (and would they want someone from NZ coaching them?) it could through up some interesting questions. The RC doesn't start until July, but would assume they would want him in for summer tests but probably not really needed before May - could he stay at Glasgow until the end of the 6N's, then either Toony or one if his assistants (Redpath?) take over until the end of the year.

In terms of taking over full time I dont really see any scottish coach holding their hand up, but would rather that than someone from the SH.

What the hell is wrong with that?
I can't really get the major seethe either tbh, it's not as if it was a controversial decision, it was as clear a red card as you will ever see. He's been asked to pose for a photo and did so, he can't win, if he tells them to feck off he probably gets slagged all over Twitter too.

With respect I'm not sure about that. In his 1st season he got us to a home play-off in the Pro14. In his 2nd season he got us to the quarter finals of the European Champs Cup and the Pro14 final. 
He's won nothing. We were on an upwards trajectory when Toony left, he should at least have won something.

I can't really get the major seethe either tbh, it's not as if it was a controversial decision, it was as clear a red card as you will ever see. He's been asked to pose for a photo and did so, he can't win, if he tells them to feck off he probably gets slagged all over Twitter too.
I agree, much to do about nothing. French should be more worried about their abject capitulations

12 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
19 hours ago, come on shire said:

He's won nothing. We were on an upwards trajectory when Toony left, he should at least have won something.

Glasgow finished 6th in Townsend's last season, only scraping into a Champions Cup spot and missing out on the Pro12 playoffs (11 points behind 4th placed Ospreys and 28 points off 1st). People excused that as Glasgow reached the quarter finals of the Champions Cup for the first time, but Rennie managed that whilst still reaching the Pro14 final.

Under Rennie, Glasgow have topped their conference twice, finishing with the most points of either conference. I don’t think anyone would argue Leinster weren’t the best side during this time, but Glasgow have still done well.

I won’t deny parts of Rennie’s tenure have felt slightly underwhelming but, particularly when you compare the number of quality players who have left Glasgow to the number of poor signings they’ve made in the last 2 years, he’s undeniably done a good job with what he’s got.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Glasgow finished 6th in Townsend's last season, only scraping into a Champions Cup spot and missing out on the Pro12 playoffs (11 points behind 4th placed Ospreys and 28 points off 1st). People excused that as Glasgow reached the quarter finals of the Champions Cup for the first time, but Rennie managed that whilst still reaching the Pro14 final.

Under Rennie, Glasgow have topped their conference twice, finishing with the most points of either conference. I don’t think anyone would argue Leinster weren’t the best side during this time, but Glasgow have still done well.

I won’t deny parts of Rennie’s tenure have felt slightly underwhelming but, particularly when you compare the number of quality players who have left Glasgow to the number of poor signings they’ve made in the last 2 years, he’s undeniably done a good job with what he’s got.

Unfortunately it was not good enough, that's the realism of sport these days. Glasgow have failed since 2015.

It was clear that Rennie needed to sort out the forward physicalty of the side and he didn't.