Rugby Union

kiwififer

2 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

Carter is the best flyhalf to play the game with 1598 points(29 tries, 293 conversions, 281 pens and only 8 drop goals) from 112 games with an average of 14.27 points per game 

Agree that Carter was a distance better than Barrett.  A true genius.

Is there another team in any sport in the world that gives off the aura that the All Blacks do? I’m not a fan of American sports but I know there’s been teams like the Chicago Red Bulls, New England Patriots or New York Yankees where you only need to hear the name and the opponents will be having watery shites for days before. The All Blacks just seem to be on a different level, where beating them is such a rare occurrence that it’s a career highlight for anyone that comes out on the winning side against them.

It’s a bit of a clichè in sport that some teams are beat before they even get on the pitch. It used to be said in Scottish football when the Old Firm were much stronger than they are presently, that teams would be so intimidated with just the thought of the players and stature of the club they were about to face, that they had already conceded defeat before they started. I think that’s what happens when teams play the All Blacks, Australia and SA excepted. 

I know it’s happened a few times in recent history, but I would like to see more teams link arms and get right in the All Blacks faces during the Haka. As much as it is a Maori ritual it’s also an intimidation tactic, and as long as it’s not physically interrupted, I don’t see anything wrong with standing a couple of feet away from them as they do it. Worst case scenario they get mad and beat you 90-3, which they probably were going to do anyway. On the other hand they lose the head at the perceived disrespect and Scotland gain confidence from their own form of intimidation and beat them. 

Finn only got the last 10mins for Racing at the weekend.  He's getting older and Ross Thompson looks to be an incredible fly half.  There's a good headache for Toony right there.  

You can only play what's in front of you but I thought we were clinical.  Cheslin Kolbe and Faf de Klerk aren't on tour with SA so with the likes of George Horne, Kyle Steyn and Rufus McLean we have some real pace to combat their heavy, physical pack.  They're all incredible talents and we need to hit the ground running vs Australia.  I think the SRU will want home wins vs Tonga and Japan but we really should be demanding at least 1 win vs Oz or SA.  

For the next 3 games the idea of playing Kinghorn at 10 and Graham at 15 instead of both on the wings needs to be put in the sea.  We can't experiment against Oz or SA and Japan aren't a bad team either.

Walter Fifita was like a cannonball on the left wing for Tonga and was their only real spark who tried to make things happen.  I'm really looking forward to seeing him compete for a place on the wing.  However he'll be up against Steyn and McLean which is really exciting.  My question now is does that leave room for Tagive when he gets back from injury?

Sutherland and Darge both drop out injured from the Scotland squad, with Hoyland and Bradbury also both back at Edinburgh, and call ups for Nick Auterac, Robin Hislop and Javan Sebastian. Scot Cummings also called up to the squad but not fully recovered from injury yet.

3 hours ago, come on shire said:

Finn only got the last 10mins for Racing at the weekend.  He's getting older and Ross Thompson looks to be an incredible fly half.  There's a good headache for Toony right there.  

For the next 3 games the idea of playing Kinghorn at 10 and Graham at 15 instead of both on the wings needs to be put in the sea.  We can't experiment against Oz or SA and Japan aren't a bad team either.

Walter Fifita was like a cannonball on the left wing for Tonga and was their only real spark who tried to make things happen.  I'm really looking forward to seeing him compete for a place on the wing.  However he'll be up against Steyn and McLean which is really exciting.  My question now is does that leave room for Tagive when he gets back from injury?

With Finn, Hastings and Thompson the only time we should see Kinghorn is on a summer tour if we are resting our main starters. Add in Savala and Chamberlain at Edinburgh and we have enough depth for him to never be needed at 10. Hopefully by the time the 6 Nations come round Forbes will be seen as the back up 15.

I dont know what anyone saw in Tagive, but he's probably 5th Choice at best behind those 3 and Cancilliere

38 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

With the new laws getting voted for very soon could we see Zach Mercer finally giving us a #boxoffice 8 going into next year if he decided to switch? 

What are the new laws? Do they allow a player to switch T1 to T1?

26 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I believe so, only thing I can see is a three year stand down period. With that and a no residency based change rule I'd fully support it tbh. 

Man, the seethe if we start picking guys like Zach Mercer is going to be out of this world. It might actually finish Stephen Jones and a few of the Irish journalists off.

Actually, I just looked at the BBC report and I'm not sure Mercer would qualify as he wasn't born here and I don't think his parents were either?

Edited by GAD

Man, the seethe if we start picking guys like Zach Mercer is going to be out of this world. It might actually finish Stephen Jones and a few of the Irish journalists off.

Actually, I just looked at the BBC report and I'm not sure Mercer would qualify as he wasn't born here and I don't think his parents were either?
Mercer does qualify through residency and I'm pretty sure played for Scotland at youth international level. Although given he's likely to be given a full cap by England this autumn it'll be irrelevant anyway.

1 hour ago, jaggyness said:
16 hours ago, GAD said:

Mercer does qualify through residency and I'm pretty sure played for Scotland at youth international level. Although given he's likely to be given a full cap by England this autumn it'll be irrelevant anyway.

Is he in the England squad? I thought when he went to France he ruled himself out?

21 minutes ago, jaggyness said:
15 hours ago, GAD said:

Mercer played U16 for Scotland I believe, so probably grounds to say he has enough of a link, so if he doesnt play for england again could be straight in if new law is passed.

There seems to be a huge push to get this through to help out the PI's, however I can see it going the other way. I can see the bigger nations actively poaching young tier 2 players already capped knowing the can become eligible down the line. There are a huge number of Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Belgian, German, Georgian, Romania's etc playing in France on top of the PI's, whats to stop them jumping ship. Can you imagine if one of the European nations offers a huge contract to the next newly capped Dan Carter at 20 or 21 knowing the will be eligble to play for them at 23 or 24?

28 minutes ago, honestly united said:

Mercer played U16 for Scotland I believe, so probably grounds to say he has enough of a link, so if he doesnt play for england again could be straight in if new law is passed.

There seems to be a huge push to get this through to help out the PI's, however I can see it going the other way. I can see the bigger nations actively poaching young tier 2 players already capped knowing the can become eligible down the line. There are a huge number of Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Belgian, German, Georgian, Romania's etc playing in France on top of the PI's, whats to stop them jumping ship. Can you imagine if one of the European nations offers a huge contract to the next newly capped Dan Carter at 20 or 21 knowing the will be eligble to play for them at 23 or 24?

It says they need to have "a close and credible link" to the country they want to switch to, through birth, or the birthplace of parents or grandparents, so I'm not sure the residency rule applies here. As far as I know, Mercer doesn't have a family link to Scotland, and anyone wanting to switch would need that if they'd already been capped, so app these T2 players it wouldn't be enough to just have played in that country for a while. I could be wrong of course. Personally I would make it so a player could only move from T1 to T2 or lower once, and make that the end of it. I remember in the 90s there were guys switching back and forward between NZ and Samoa quite regularly and it was a bit of a joke.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

It says they need to have "a close and credible link" to the country they want to switch to, through birth, or the birthplace of parents or grandparents, so I'm not sure the residency rule applies here. As far as I know, Mercer doesn't have a family link to Scotland, and anyone wanting to switch would need that if they'd already been capped, so app these T2 players it wouldn't be enough to just have played in that country for a while. I could be wrong of course. Personally I would make it so a player could only move from T1 to T2 or lower once, and make that the end of it. I remember in the 90s there were guys switching back and forward between NZ and Samoa quite regularly and it was a bit of a joke.

The residency rule for uncapped players would have to apply as a close and credible link, as it would have to be the same rules that make you eligible if uncapped.

This is all being done to fall in line with the Olympic eligibility rules, where you can change allegiance by playing in so many olympic qualifiers and as most props or 2nd rows aren't going to get into a 7's team to change nationality you cant be seen to be disadvantaging one group of players