Rugby Union

kiwififer

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Odd tactics to go for the points, I thought.

Aye, with around 9 minutes left if it had been 10 yards closer then sure. They probably would have won another penalty after they'd kicked it to the corner.

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Funny thing is, Freddie Steward was absolutely shite. Sometimes I think people don't appreciate how hard it is to tackle one on one in open field, but Steward didn't actually make any of them. His efforts on both White and DVM were pathetic and anything but "hard". For a guy who was being touted as the best fullback in the world he's pretty shite.

Really don’t get the hype about him, Hogg, Keenan and Williams are all significantly better.

Italy could easily have won that, some poor decision making and lack of accuracy at the end.

55 minutes ago, AngusTheBull said:

Really don’t get the hype about him, Hogg, Keenan and Williams are all significantly better.

Italy could easily have won that, some poor decision making and lack of accuracy at the end.

I have no idea why the Leicester and England full back is constantly hyped up by all the former Leicester and England players in the media

6 hours ago, AngusTheBull said:

He's the same size as Maro Itoje so if you're a fan of big heavy fullbacks who run into people as opposed to round them then he's perfect

There's no accounting for taste

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

My french isn't bad but it's not as good as it might be so I basically understood only half the words on the French coverage but somehow the half time pundits sill made more sense than Clive Woodward

That wouldn't be hard to be fair. 

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Odd tactics to go for the points, I thought.

I said to my mates in the pub yesterday that I didn’t like us taking the points in a similar situation when we were down 4.

In a way the penalty we did kick ended up being meaningless because we scored a try anyway, the real benefit of kicking a penalty down 4/5 is that another kick wins you the game and you don’t need to score a try anymore.

IMO you need to play for the try in the last 10 mins. 

8 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Has anybody else tried to watch the Italy vs France Game on STV Player? The signal is shit even by the dodgy unofficial stream standards

I've had to turn on the VPN and watch france tv 2 on my phone

i would bin the STVplayer and use the ITVX app.  Just use a random English postcode, the only one I know is Wimbledon (SW19) and the stability of the stream and quality is far better than the STV player.  you would have thought they wouldn't be a difference but it is remarkably so.

On 04/02/2023 at 23:44, GAD said:

I actually didn't think we played brilliantly in all honesty. Defence was a bit ropey, missed a lot of first tackles and England were making easy meters too often, but Duhan, Steyn, Jones and Sione were such a threat throughout. 

Scotland will need to defend better though against the good teams. I think Russell was getting a bit of stick, but I actually thought the English were so focused on him that it opened up gaps and he found them. He's a very brave player, he doesn't give a f**k if he gets smashed as long as he gets the ball away. Wasn't the usual bag of tricks but I think he was instrumental in the win, far more than he'll be given credit for.

I found a website saying that this was England's main tactic and that Farrel was to blame for concentrating on Russel too much. Interesting for me as I know feck all about rugby tactics.   

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/going-after-finn-russell-backfired-for-england/?c=1

ETA   Soz, Mark Connolly, just read your post.

Edited by cyderspaceman