Rugby Union

kiwififer

13 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

(as we used to get pinged for all the time against Biggar) "well he's just chucking himself through the air and I'm standing still"

Played fullback there once, got the broken finger for evidence 😂

I agree though, my first reaction was it was a bit naughty by Steward but I just think it was stupid to put himself in that position. Maybe a lapse in concentration when the whistle went?

5 minutes ago, Lex said:

What a magnificent team Ireland are. Certainly capable of winning the World Cup later this year.

I still feel there is a massive bed shitting in their future. Was hoping it might be today, but the RWC would definitely be funnier

I thought Ireland were pretty crap tbh and were bailed out big time by a ref who had decided they were winning beforehand and called the game accordingly. The truth is, the ref is by far the most important man on the pitch in rugby, that's why teams employ referee coaches and Nigel Owens is being paid a lot by South Africa to get them ready for the world cup. No amount of whining from the wee'est guys is going to change that.

16 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

For me a red card had to have force from the defending player. Stewart is standing pretty much still with his arm by his side. I don't see why he is responsible for the force due to the irish player diving towards him head first.

I’m with you.  I even think Steward is trying to get out the way.   The Irish player makes it impossible.  That said, red cards are quite clearly defined in terms of where contact takes place.  Orange card for me.  

This 6 nations was absolutely superb entertainment. Every single game was exciting pretty much right to the end. Giving bonus points for reducing the margin of defeat is a genius move and the organisers/authorities should be applauded for that.

Italy will get better and Wales will get over their wee patch of shiteness. Italy seem to have inherited the white line fever that used to afflict Scotland. They'll be a force to be reckoned with when their fullback returns for next year.

I'm looking forward to this World Cup more than I was the fitba one. It'll be ace.

10 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Scotlands under 20s are absolutely shite.  

Yes, whilst I have no problem with Scotland bringing in SQ players, you do have to look at what's going on with producing players here. They look massively underdeveloped compared to everyone else, and most of them have played absolutely no pro rugby. I also wonder if all this team GB bollocks with the 7s has closed another pathway.

Also, rugby is obviously a very distant second to football in this country, but there are plenty of big, reasonably skillful boys dropping out of the football system each year, guys who've probably had better professional development than some of the rugby players in the early years. Are we doing anything to try and pick these guys up and bring them into the sport?

If a youngster is really good (Hogg, Russell, Grey etc) they get picked up on early and will be playing with Glasgow / Edinburgh etc and not in the Scotland U20 teams which weakens the teams (Dobbie being a recent example). We do a really poor job of getting players from U20 level up to full international in the main as well. For example Luke Crosbie was playing U20 in 2017, its only this season he's made the break through to the full squad. That squad also had Darcy Graham,  Matt Fagerson, Blair Kinghorn, Stafford McDowall, Robbie Nairn, Charlie Shiel, Alex Craig, Tom Gordon and a few others with pro experience.

The 2018 team still had McDowall playing (i had high hopes for him before his injury) Murphy Walker, Rory Darge, Ross Thomson, Marshall Sykes, Jamie Hodgson and 2019 Ashman, Thomson, Sykes, Walker, Ollie Smith, Chamberlain, Blain with Darge missing through injury but he was back in 2020 so we have had a steady stream of players its just some take longer to get from the U20's to the full team. I would put that down to the private schools run their teams pretty much like a pro team, with training most days etc, whereas anyone at a club side maybe train twice a week tops so will be physically behind.

In theory the Super 6 should have helped close the gap between U20 and pro but that doesnt seem to be working. I had thought the whole point was to split the youngsters across the teams and ensure they are getting game time alongside older heads in a competitive environment but it doesnt appear to be happening. Given the SRU owns the franchises surely they should be insisting on players getting game time 

At long last somebody in the media has said it;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/65006193

I don't know why the law isn't made more like the tackle in the air, giving the ref's a little bit more discretion.

I also think there is a strong argument for an 'orange' card.

I think reds should be for cynical foul play, swinging arms, shoulder barges, and oranges/yellows for accidentals (face on face or as in Stewards case, bottling a challenge and having the attacker run head-on into him) depending on how the ref sees it.

Whilst I'm on my high-horse, no word yet on ringrose being sent to (the lamentally laugahable) 'tackle school' for his terrible technique when tackling Kinghorn.  It's almost like they invented it for reasons other than improving tackle technique!

Yours

aDONis

Here's the Rugby Pass team of the tourney with Scotland players making up most of the back line.

It was a strange tourney for Scotland imo, great start but then competed well but came up short against France and Ireland. We still look miles off it in terms of physicallity against them.

Scotland scored 17 tries, it's not that long ago that it would have taken us 5 or 6 years to score that many.

FB_IMG_1679417903836.jpg