Rugby Union

kiwififer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

All Blacks beat Australia 22-0, first time the Aussies have drawn a blank against NZ for 50 years.

Unsurprisingly the natives are up in arms about this. Calls for Robbie Deans' head are growing. Losing 14 out of the last 17 games v the All Blacks plus having not won the Bledisloe Cup for the last 10 years certainly fan the flames.

Argentina 16 South Africa 16, Pumas ahead and in control for most of the game, Boks a bit fortunate to get a draw.

Just caught the last 20 mins. Good result for the Pumas. Does this prove that Argentina won't be the whipping boys especially at home or was this a one off we'll wait and see. I hope it was the former.

Unsurprisingly the natives are up in arms about this. Calls for Robbie Deans' head are growing. Losing 14 out of the last 17 games v the All Blacks plus having not won the Bledisloe Cup for the last 10 years certainly fan the flames.

The Aussies kicked some amount of ball away this morning, every time they got a winger on the move they tried to dink it down the line and it never worked. They did defend well for most of the game, but gave away a load of penalties and their set pieces were very shaky.

The Aussies kicked some amount of ball away this morning, every time they got a winger on the move they tried to dink it down the line and it never worked. They did defend well for most of the game, but gave away a load of penalties and their set pieces were very shaky.

The commentator's on our coverage were going mental at that.

The commentator's on our coverage were going mental at that.

Sky Sports were using the Kiwi commentary with Justin Marshall summarising, he was scratching his head trying to figure out why the Aussies thought this was the right tactic. What was the Aussie view of the ref? I thought Owens gave a few borderline decisions to the All Blacks. There was one in particular in the run up to Genia being sin binned where I thought the Kiwis shoud have been penalised for holding on.

I see there's doubt over the long-term future of the Heineken Cup - with England and France getting increasingly angry with the Celtic nations.

Basically their complaint is that there's no relegation from the Celtic League and it isn't used to decide HC qualification (i.e. top 8 don't qualify: top 3 Irish/Welsh and both Scottish/Italian regardless of placing). Say it gives Celtic teams an advantage, since they can afford to rest players in the Celtic League ahead of internationals and HC ties.

Want the Celtic League to make qualification for the Top 8 and introduce relegation/re-election or threaten to quit HC and form their own tournament.

Joe Ansbro breaks his neck. 3 months in a neck brace and probably another 6/12 recovering. Shame he was a god player for Scotland too. sad.gif

I see there's doubt over the long-term future of the Heineken Cup - with England and France getting increasingly angry with the Celtic nations.

Basically their complaint is that there's no relegation from the Celtic League and it isn't used to decide HC qualification (i.e. top 8 don't qualify: top 3 Irish/Welsh and both Scottish/Italian regardless of placing). Say it gives Celtic teams an advantage, since they can afford to rest players in the Celtic League ahead of internationals and HC ties.

Want the Celtic League to make qualification for the Top 8 and introduce relegation/re-election or threaten to quit HC and form their own tournament.

English (in particular) sabre rattling because they are doing rubbish and want more cash. This Celtic teams bashing is an easy out rather than addressing the core problems with the English game. French are in because they don't want to miss out but the French are more open to deal which could leave England out in the cold and looking foolish too.

Read this- http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/heineken-cup/desperate-for-bigger-slice-of-pie-3210247.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much rugby chat going on and not surprising given recent events.

So.... Edinburgh spanked for 78 points in their first two Heineken cup games for a return of... zero points. Glasgow a bit more respectable against a good Ulster team (that I'm going to stick a couple of quid on for eventual winners) but ultimately two defeats from two. If there was a good argument for Scotland having two automatic qualifiers, it's been lost.

SRU seem to have invested in the two teams and while Glasgow seem to be doing ok, Edinburgh have been going from bad to worse after a couple of good results at the start of the season. I thought the whole point of the investment was to give strength in depth so they could both challenge in both the Heineken and the Rabo, but Edinburgh have just collapsed since Laidlaw and Visser went off at half time in the Saracens game.

On the international side, got my tickets for the NZ and SA games. Who knows - after the great tour we had in the Southern Hemisphere, I was genuinely hopeful for something out of SA and respectability (less than 10 points?) against NZ but if most of the team are in a losing frame of mind, I'm losing that optimism.

Glasgow has lost a number of there top players to injurry ( van der Merwe, Low, Cusite, Hogg ) and a change of head coach was always going to make the start of the season diffilcult. Not sure what has happend to Edinburgh they have just been rotting so far this season after brinning in some strong players.

We are really going to struggle to get anyting out of the All Black game. If we play like we did and the weather is the same as 2010 we should get something out the SA test and we should beat Tonga in Aberdeen in the 3rd test.

As Oht says the SRU has put more cash into the teams - but it seems to have done nothing to secure results that give them a chance of progressing in the Heineken Cup, making Edinburgh's feats of last season appear even more freakish.

This then gives rise to ideas of yet more 'reorganising' like David Ferguson in today's Scotsman - who suggests maybe a third pro-team needs to be started...!!

That'd be the third time a team in the Borders had been tried... or the second if they placed it in Perth, Dundee, or Aberdeen... and that's assuming the other nations would even allow the Celtic League to expand beyond 12 teams/22 games.

Infact my personal inclination would be that, if change was mooted, it should be a reduction to 1 'national' well-resourced pro-team - capable of being a shadow national XV and competing in Europe - supporting a semi-pro Premiership 1. Particularly if HC slot 2 is lost.

Glasgow has lost a number of there top players to injurry ( van der Merwe, Low, Cusite, Hogg ) and a change of head coach was always going to make the start of the season diffilcult. Not sure what has happend to Edinburgh they have just been rotting so far this season after brinning in some strong players.

We are really going to struggle to get anyting out of the All Black game. If we play like we did and the weather is the same as 2010 we should get something out the SA test and we should beat Tonga in Aberdeen in the 3rd test.

Glasgow were doing ok in the league prior to the Euro ties, but the injuries definitely took their toll against the better opposition. They've just announced that they have signed 24 year old Kiwi Sean Maitland from Crusaders who can play on either wing or at full back. He qualifies for Scotland as both paternal grandparents were born in Glasgow. He will join in the next few weeks subject to getting his visa. I'm guessing that this must be down to Sean Lineen in his new role as head of player acquisitions or whatever it's called.

Edited by peasy23

Side point on heineken qualification. I was thinking it could benefit Scottish rugby if Scotland lost one of their auto spots. Bit more rivalry between the two teams would ensue - more interest from the public? Maybe fanciful - euro cash is no doubt king in rugby too.

Sean Maitland looks like a good player with 115 pts in 54 games with the Crusaders or 0.4 trys per game in Super Rugby and and the same for Canterbury in the ITM Cup.

Don't think droping the number of Pro teams would help us as it would dilute the number of players under SRU control causing a lot of Club v Country rows. A 3rd side will help us but I am not sure we have the fan base up here to suport it but mibby the best way forword would be bringing London Scottish(play in the English 2nd tier) under SRU controll.

Sean Maitland looks like a good player with 115 pts in 54 games with the Crusaders or 0.4 trys per game in Super Rugby and and the same for Canterbury in the ITM Cup.

Don't think droping the number of Pro teams would help us as it would dilute the number of players under SRU control causing a lot of Club v Country rows. A 3rd side will help us but I am not sure we have the fan base up here to suport it but mibby the best way forword would be bringing London Scottish(play in the English 2nd tier) under SRU controll.

Maitland should do well at Glasgow. He's fast and elusive but sometimes goes missing in games. Seems to get injured pretty easily as well but hopefully he does well.