Rugby Union

kiwififer

Argentina really don't help themselves, that try kills the game but England got up the park thanks to an utterly needless penalty by the Argies. They had a good rolling maul going in England's half then one of the forwards gives away an obvious penalty.

England have been utterly unconvincing, but will still win this at a canter. Farrell's kicking has been awful, which is nice.

Guest Bob Mahelp
4 minutes ago, come on shire said:

What's going to happen to England if France turn up against them next week? The pundits dare not think.

England will be guaranteed a quarter final place when they win today. 

The only question will be do they play Wales or Australia ?

I suspect that England will prefer Australia, meaning that they'll want to beat France and top the group. France have looked unconvincing so far, hard to see them beating England. 

11 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
13 minutes ago, sjc said:
Have they not put one of the backs into the scrum?

No, they've been packing down with 7 most of the time.

That'll be the reason then! Thanks.

I think that one can reasonably be considered a penalty only, he’s followed through after a legitimate attempt to charge down the kick. It’s borderline though and it’s understandable that it would increase the annoyance considering Tuilagi got away with the high tackle, which was as obvious a yellow card as you’ll see and would clearly have been given against a Tier 2 nation.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I think that one can reasonably be considered a penalty only, he’s followed through after a legitimate attempt to charge down the kick. It’s borderline though and it’s understandable that it would increase the annoyance considering Tuilagi got away with the high tackle, which was as obvious a yellow card as you’ll see and would clearly have been given against a Tier 2 nation.

I think that's the problem. The borderline calls only go one way. When you have been down to 14 men for the whole game and the opposition still don't get a yellow card for the Tuilagi and Lawes hits you are going to be annoyed. Also, he's coached England all the way through, whereas Argentina have just been instantly pinged every time. It's not that what he's doing is necessarily wrong by the letter of the law, but it's not consistent for both teams.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

If Samoa could win then great as they’re not going to beat Ireland, but it’s unlikely and the main thing is Japan not getting a winning BP.

Samoa will have to show something they haven't shown so far.  They've been flat out dreadful.  Japan look far better - and arguably every bit as good as Scotland on the evidence we've seen.  It'd be just smashing if Samoa won.  I don't hold out much hope though.

This England performance is precisely what Scotland are incapable of doing: shithousing a win.