Rugby Union

kiwififer

So do you think if NZ or England had been in our position would the match be rescheduled?

I feel like we're minute takers at the big boys boardroom table.

I agree with the second half of that.

I’m not defending World Rugby here, and I have no idea why they don’t have reserve days, but I would have thought the outcome would be the same. I’d actually suggest were it Japan vs Fiji, there’s no way there’d be anything other than a call off.

I agree it’s a farce, but we’re already seeing Scotland kicking up a fuss (rightly), which Japan would never get away with out.

You can't reschedule the Scotland game if it's called off whilst the Italy game is just left as a 0-0 draw. 

A more pertinent question is why the World Cup is being played in Japan at a time of year where these type of weather events are a high possibility. Play it somewhere else or at a time of year where it's not typhoon season. 

1 hour ago, Sooky said:

The “should have beaten Ireland” narrative is one of the stupidest things I’ve ever seen. From the moment the groups were drawn and the fixtures were out, it was always incredibly likely that Scotland and Japan would both need a last match win to qualify. You plan for the whole group, not the first 75% of games.

Also, I bet the game goes ahead and it ends up being a fucking draw.

Betcha not 0-0 though :)

4 hours ago, GAD said:

Given your local knowledge and experience, what are the actual chances of this game going ahead considering it's Yokohama on Sunday night or nothing? Is it a 50/50, or are we as well just going home now?

It's difficult to say, especially for me as where I live, we are always told we're going to get hit when a typhoon hits Shikoku/Honshu, but we invariably never do! That said, the one that hit Chiba last month was pretty destructive. People died and some areas still don't have power back on yet.

The typhoon is definitely coming, I could feel the change in temperature and pressure this evening. Will it remain on course or lose strength (as they usually do) over land remains to be seen.

The Japanese people definitely want the game on as a matter of interest.

It's difficult to say, especially for me as where I live, we are always told we're going to get hit when a typhoon hits Shikoku/Honshu, but we invariably never do! That said, the one that hit Chiba last month was pretty destructive. People died and some areas still don't have power back on yet.
The typhoon is definitely coming, I could feel the change in temperature and pressure this evening. Will it remain on course or lose strength (as they usually do) over land remains to be seen.
The Japanese people definitely want the game on as a matter of interest.

I think most of us get that the Japan team and public want this game to go ahead. World Rugby seem less bothered sadly.

My understanding was that the typhoon was supposed to pass over tomorrow - whether the game would be going ahead or not would be decided by the amount of damage inflicted upon the stadium.

Some clown was on the radio earlier saying that World Rugby organising a WC in typhoon season was on par with the disruption suffered by the cricket world cup in England due to rain.  It's been an absolutely mystifying move.  By all means play it in Japan, but why not May/June?