Rugby Union

kiwififer

Can we not play Welsh teams every week rather than the Irish?

Was a big improvement on the last month or so of games - even if the opposition was dreadful in comparison to Leinster and Ulster.

Lee Jones played well after being out for nearly 2 years - cant believe that was Jan 19 his last game and Grigg added a bit of presence to the midfield. The forwards weren't under the sort of pressure they had been in previous weeks, but did what was asked of them.

I did think it was telling though how much the Welsh commentators were bigging up the Glasgow players - i had thought they were just being condesending to start with - but I generally think they know how bad they are that they know they are going to lose so getting the excuses in early - ie what a player this Tagive is - to try and fool the welsh public into thinking there regions are getting beat by a team of world beaters, not that they are dreadful 

Edited by honestly united

For 10 or 15 minutes at the start of the second half I thought Edinburgh were actually going to turns things round, but the dissallowed try which would have had them draw level being chalked off turned the tide back to Ulster. On the plus side the 2 young lads Chamberlain and Blain both look good prospects.

Leinster and Ulster do seem to be on a different level to everyone else to be fair. Its frustrating but Ulster have only lost 5 or 6 players to the Ireland squad where Glasgow are 11 to Scotland and 2 to Fiji and Edinburgh will be similar.

Argentina trying to make life easier for the Wallabies this weekend.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-01/argentina-national-rugby-union-sacks-captain-pablo-matera/12938578
Some reports in Argentina think the Argentina Rugby Union went through all the players social media. After the All Blacks showed them up in paying respects to Maradona

Some reports in Argentina think the Argentina Rugby Union went through all the players social media. After the All Blacks showed them up in paying respects to Maradona
From what I have heard the Argentine public were disgusted the Aru didn't do enough to pay respect to Maradona, seemingly just players wearing black armband. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a member of the public that have done it.

11 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
On 01/12/2020 at 04:13, Eednud said:
Argentina trying to make life easier for the Wallabies this weekend.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-12-01/argentina-national-rugby-union-sacks-captain-pablo-matera/12938578

What did he actually say?

he did not like black people when he was younger 

https://www.rugbydump.com/news/pumas-believe-materas-racist-tweets-were-dug-up-in-response-to-lack-of-respect-for-maradona-passing/

39 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

ref for the ireland game 

REFEREE: Matthew Carley (RFU)
ASSISTANT REFEREE 1: Romain Poite (FFR)
ASSISTANT REFEREE 2: Karl Dickson (RFU)
TMO: Dan Jones (WRU)

Don't know much about the TMO, but otherwise, that's up there with the worst set of officials possible.

16 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Don't know much about the TMO, but otherwise, that's up there with the worst set of officials possible.

Didnt know who Matthew Carley was by name so I just googled him to see if I recognised his face. I did, my heart dropped.

5 hours ago, honestly united said:

That would be some coup as he looks a real talent, and considering Ireland are picking guys like Billy Burns, can't be too far off a cap for them.

6 hours ago, honestly united said:

I stand by it. He's a dick.

I reserve the right to a full about turn if and when he becomes our dick though.

Team for Saturday, van der Walt starts, Blair Cowan returns from Siberia for a place on the bench. Weir missing, is he injured? Bit strange otherwise to go from starting to being out the squad completely given how thin we are at 10 at the moment. 20201203_125406.jpg

its strange Jaco is pitched straight in with no appartent cover if things go wrong.

Cowan is madness, hes well into his 30's, wont be playing by the time the next world cup rolls round, I would much rather someone like Bradbury or Crosbie was in the squad as they will be called on in the years to come - its a bit different if its the 6 nations and we are down to the bare bones but it isn't and were not. There is a quote somewhere if Jones and Cowan get on its 39 players used over 5 matches this autumn which I think shows our new found strength in depth, though if they could all hurry up and get back to playing for there clubs that would be great.

Also noted none of the 2 Glasgow players have not been selected for Fiji so hopefully they might make a return shortly also.

I don't hate that actually, interested to see how this different composition of back row goes and my usual complaints about solid but unspectacular centres aren't so valid with ireland's big laddies up against them.

I had Taylor written off after the world cup but just realised he's young enough that he could just about make 2023. Less so Nel and Cowan...

There is no point in playing Weir as he won't do anything he has failed to do in the previous two fixtures. Might as well see what Jaco can do before Finn hopefully takes the shirt back for 6N.

The back row is a strange one. Fagerson was awful against France yet keeps his place. His carries were depressing, like a boy against men. If Ireland start Doris and Stander we will be struggling. I'd have Skinner at 6.