Rugby Union

kiwififer

Have to say, I'm absolutely gutted tonight. I thought we'd taken that next big step up in the process and had a real chance at the championship this year.
I should've known better.
Sport will do that to you.. Unfortunately supporting Scotland will always give you more lows than highs. But the highs (like last week, are very sweet)

Well that was gutting.  We weren’t very good but would still have had enough to beat a dreadful Welsh team until Carley got going.

it’s all well and good saying don’t give away penalties but when the opposition are getting away with murder what chance do you have?

Stick on we lose to France and Ireland now.  Another false dawn.

Well that was gutting.  We weren’t very good but would still have had enough to beat a dreadful Welsh team until Carley got going.
it’s all well and good saying don’t give away penalties but when the opposition are getting away with murder what chance do you have?
Please don't blame the ref

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
26 minutes ago, Left Back said:

So he called the game fairly and correctly?  Get your head out of your arse.  Referees in any sport can have huge impacts on a game where subjective calls are required.  If those calls go against you at critical times or the really big calls go against you you’re screwed.

2 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

I haven't said we should ignore it but I choose to look at it from a Scotland point of view we have to look at ourselves first. Every year we end up "on the wrong side" of referees and don't get any smarter on how to play them.

That doesn't change the fact that lots of referees are crap.

Or you could look at it from the Welsh point of view. Because, if the roles had been reversed, we'd all have been on here saying how lucky we were.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

As in Scotland tbf.

Re. The ref shite, we were 17 3 up and a kick to the corner. The Scotland rugby team fucked it up. Noone else.. Really thought we had turned corner last week, what a massive chance blown. I can see England beating France, we would have had a triple crown game against Ireland and a real chance of a championship.
But we fucked it all up..

There are massively higher numbers, and proportion, of arrseholes following football in Scotland than rugby. And they're not that entitled, because we are the minnows of the old 5 nations teams.

The team fked it up and the ref fked it up. Both are true.

2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

That's your Scottish forwards blacklisted from the Lions btw

Watson and Gray did nothing wrong, Sutherland was par and Ritchie was injured. As was McInally, obviously. None of the rest ought to be in contention anyway.

I don't care about the Lions though, I'll watch the games but they're just exhibition matches. I'd rather watch South Africa play New Zealand than the Lions, and I'd rather watch Scotland play literally anyone. 

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Watson and Gray did nothing wrong, Sutherland was par and Ritchie was injured. As was McInally, obviously. None of the rest ought to be in contention anyway.

I don't care about the Lions though, I'll watch the games but they're just exhibition matches. I'd rather watch South Africa play New Zealand than the Lions, and I'd rather watch Scotland play literally anyone. 

I’d think a lot of people in Scotland have been apathetic to the Lions for a while.  With so few Scots being picked in the last few tours (rightly or wrongly) you can understand why.  They don’t represent us.  During the last tour they even dragged a few of our guys from Australia to fill out the mid week bench which I certainly wasn’t impressed with.  If I’d been one of those players I’d far rather have stayed with Scotland than be a bench filler for Gatland.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:

As in Scotland tbf.

Re. The ref shite, we were 17 3 up and a kick to the corner. The Scotland rugby team fucked it up. Noone else.. Really thought we had turned corner last week, what a massive chance blown. I can see England beating France, we would have had a triple crown game against Ireland and a real chance of a championship.
But we fucked it all up..

Absolutely. , don't understand why they where turning down opportunities for points when we where in front of the posts . Keep the scoreboard turning over get the game won , then play rugby. 

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

I’d think a lot of people in Scotland have been apathetic to the Lions for a while.  With so few Scots being picked in the last few tours (rightly or wrongly) you can understand why.  They don’t represent us.  During the last tour they even dragged a few of our guys from Australia to fill out the mid week bench which I certainly wasn’t impressed with.  If I’d been one of those players I’d far rather have stayed with Scotland than be a bench filler for Gatland.

Even if there were 4,5,6 Scots in the starting line up I don't think I'd care about anything other than them. I don't have a preference for English, Welsh or Irish players over South African, Australian or Kiwi. And I think it's embarrassing that we need to put together four teams to take them on. A Northern Hemisphere v Southern Hemisphere series might be good fun, or a 6 Nations v Rugby Championship, but it's still just an exhibition.

It bugs me that it's talked about so much too, for about 2 years before each tour. What do we think the players would rather achieve, a starting place with the Lions or win a Six Nations?

I'm a bit jaded with non-competitive internationals though, more than half of international matches are friendlies and that's just weird. I was really hoping they'd pull together that World League-type thing but they scuppered it by trying to screw over the tier 2 nations. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
2 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

That's your Scottish forwards blacklisted from the Lions btw

I'm pretty sure that Gary 'I'll concede a penalty every 5 minutes' Graham has blown his chances. 

44 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
1 hour ago, Left Back said:

Carley was fucking awful from start to finish, and made the game all about him. But he's not unique in that as an international rugby referee. 

Rugby refereeing is all about interpretation....much so than football. It's up to the teams involved to quickly adapt to the referee. 

Scotland simply didn't do that today, and Wales played him very well for the whole 80 minutes. 

Carley was fucking awful from start to finish, and made the game all about him. But he's not unique in that as an international rugby referee. 
Rugby refereeing is all about interpretation....much so than football. It's up to the teams involved to quickly adapt to the referee. 
Scotland simply didn't do that today, and Wales played him very well for the whole 80 minutes. 
Ffs lads... Ref didn't beat us, Wales didn't beat us, we beat ourselves

4 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
31 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Ffs lads... Ref didn't beat us, Wales didn't beat us, we beat ourselves

That was such a hard watch and you're absolutely right, mate.

Some absolutely awful decision making by Scotland today. Threw the game away.
I haven't a clue what Price was trying to do with that attempted kick through late on, you just keep going through the phases and hope we get a penalty or somebody makes a good line break. Cost us 70 metres of territory.

I haven't a clue what Price was trying to do with that attempted kick through late on, you just keep going through the phases and hope we get a penalty or somebody makes a good line break. Cost us 70 metres of territory.

Absolutely this. It wasn’t by any means the only example of poor decision making

The referee wasn't to blame for Scotland losing but I have to admit I don't understand a lot of aspects of rugby officiating - the virtual coaching of players through various breakdown scenarios and the looseness of the interpretation. As much as football officials piss us off at times, the laws are generally a lot tighter and the game is better for the consistency of the law.

Wales have won two games when they weren't the better side, due 2 red cards

Last week blatant

But our guy was clearing out someone who was trying to grab the ball, sciffed his head and mainly hit his chest

No mitigating circumstances according to bullshit refereeing, the c**t was trying to play the ball

It's going the way of football which has just turned garbage

If that worried about head knocks make everyone wear extra padding scrum caps starting with today game

Bollocks