Rugby Union

kiwififer

53 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
7 hours ago, GAD said:
It would be some scenes if Gatland didn't pick Sexton for the tour. This would be dropping O'Driscoll x100. I would fucking love it.

Thing is he will take Bigger and farrell. Farrell because Gatland loves him and he can play centre. There really is only room for one more, Russell or Sexton.. I can see Sexton not going, the Irish seethe would be magnificent....

Sexton shouldn't go.  On hard tracks you need a running threat at 10, and let's  be honest, that's not Sexton's wheelhouse.

My picks are Biggar/Russell to start with the other on the bench just i  case plan A isn't working.  Farnell along for ride in case 10 or 12 positions have a run of injuries.

I don't think Scotland will have a large contingent (not because they are bad  more because there are excellent alternatives).  

My guess

On plane;

Hogg

Russell

DVM

Strong possibles;

Ritchie

Watson

Z Fagerson 

Bolters;

Harris

Price

Edited by aDONisSheep

43 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

Sexton shouldn't go.  On hard tracks you need a running threat at 10, and let's  be honest, that's not Sexton's wheelhouse.

My picks are Biggar/Russell to start with the other on the bench just i  case plan A isn't working.  Farnell along for ride in case 10 or 12 positions have a run of injuries.

I don't think Scotland will have a large contingent (not because they are bad  more because there are excellent alternatives).  

My guess

On plane;

Hogg

Russell

DVM

Strong possibles;

Ritchie

Watson

Z Fagerson 

Bolters;

Harris

Price

I would add Watson to the definites now I think, surely Gatland cant  not pick the player voted best in the 6 Nations?

34 minutes ago, honestly united said:

I would add Watson to the definites now I think, surely Gatland cant  not pick the player voted best in the 6 Nations?

Watson would be one of the first on my list, but I worry about Gatland's view.  He's a bit like Benny Hill from The Italian Job in that he 'likes 'em big'!

I'm a big fan of Gatland (I watched his Wasps teams first hand), but I just get the feeling, he'll try to fight fire with fire and go big.

image.thumb.png.c58a19ffc21eccaf5c823ac066cd5558.png

Yours

aDONis

10 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Plan seems to have been for the 4 SA teams to be based in Bristol for the 4 games in Europe but seems that they have been told they wont be getting visa's for the players. If they are out I would think they will just change the fixtures so that those due to be playing SA teams will just play each other to keep things simple.

9 hours ago, honestly united said:

Plan seems to have been for the 4 SA teams to be based in Bristol for the 4 games in Europe but seems that they have been told they wont be getting visa's for the players. If they are out I would think they will just change the fixtures so that those due to be playing SA teams will just play each other to keep things simple.

i think if the SA teams can't enter they will just pull it but we will find out by the end of the week 

Edited by ajwffc

2 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Think Gatland is more serious about Scottish involvement this year. This is who makes my squad.
Sutherland, Gray, Watson, Russell, Harris, DVM & Hogg.

Possible but long shot.: Price & Richie.

With the squad size they're taking I'd be surprised if Gray and Harris made it. Not that they don't deserve it (I've gone 180 on Harris' quality in particular) but there's a few guys ahead of them I'd say.

That being said Tandy being involved might mean getting a couple of his defensively important players a la Gray and Harris on the plane. That's the benefit of having coaches in the conversation I suppose

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

Tandy's inclusion boosts the chances of Harris going. Scotland have had the best defence in each of the past two 6N, and Harris has been the main component in that. Probably still odds against, but it has to be much more likely.

Funny to see Townsend talk about what a massive honour it was to be picked after he turned them down last time. I know the circumstances are different, but still.

https://www.planetrugby.com/townsend-snubs-lure-of-lions/

Gregor Townsend has confirmed his decision to turn down the opportunity to join the British and Irish Lions coaching staff for 2017’s tour.

Townsend, who will take over as Scotland coach next June, admitted that the timing was not ideal and the reason he chose to snub the job.

“It’s a case of timing,” he told Scottish Rugby‘s official website.

“I feel hugely privileged to be given the Scotland job and our first opportunity to work with the players is at the same time as the Lions tour.

“I was approached a couple of weeks ago – and I was obviously flattered – but my priority now is Glasgow and at, the end of the season, Scotland are going on tour, so that’s the priority then.

“I had a good think and didn’t give an immediate answer. I really wanted to reflect on what was involved but I quickly realised that the Scotland tour to Australia is my number one priority at the end of this season.

“At international level you don’t get that much access with the players. This is the most access you’ll get with them. On a tour you get to work with them, preparing them and spending time with them, so that’s the biggest factor.”

8 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Its not really a snag, its actually the whole point if why it was increased from 3 to 5 years. Tonga are losing out on a potentially world class fly half as someones parents sent him to a better school for a few years. So if he wants to play international rugby he either throws his hat in with Tonga, or sucks it up and waits for the 5 years to be up. Its not long anyway, he's out injured until next year, will then not be eligible next year anyway, but will be in 2023 when he is only 23 anyway.

Its to stop cases like DVDM who pitch up at Edinburgh for 3 years, as soon as he is capped by Scotland he is off chasing the cash in England - i dont blame him for doing it as he had no chance of getting capped by SA at the time he left, but you just look at the French academies they are full of young PI players that will be eligible for France once they've turned 23.

The following is a list of just the Tier 2 nations players at French academies (not the senior clubs) - I haven't checked but would assume there are probably a good number of SA / NZ / AUS players also. Its not just the case that it is more players that will be French qualified its also holding back the smaller nations as they wont get the players - in addition to the non release of international players from these countries that get signed by French clubs

Belgium
Bruno Vliegen (Clermont)
Gauthier Petit (Pau)
Luca Gruttadauria (Toulouse)
Dries de Keyser (Biarritz)
Charles-Henry Berguet (Perpignan)

Botswana
Basi Malesu (Pau)
Bame Malesu (Pau)

Cameroun
Christian Ambadiang (Nevers)

Canada
Tyler Duguid (Montpellier)
Quentin James (Stade Français)
William Percillier (Stade Français)

Chile
Iñaki Ayarza (Bayonne)

Czechia
Vojtech Vomacka (Grenoble)
Jakub Homer (Valence)

Fiji
Inoke Kurukuruvakatini (Agen)
Mesake Kurisaru (Clermont)
Ratu Jone Naulunisau (Clermont)
Veresa Ramototabua (Stade Français)
Henry Spring (Stade Français)
Epeli Momo (Montauban)
Alivereti Loaloa (Nevers)
Vilimone Seru (Nevers)
Josateki Tuituba (Nevers)
Taniela Ramasibana (Perpignan)
Tikomaijpani Batibasaga (Vannes)

Georgia
Vladimeri Chachanidze (Bayonne)
Ioane Iashaghashvili (Bayonne)
Saba Kaulashvili (Bordeaux)
Alexandre Zibzibadze (Brive) [french-georgian]
Tedo Abzhandadze (Brive)
Vano Karkadze (Brive)
Gigi Leshkasheli (Montpellier)
Aleksi Tchitchiashvili (Montpellier)
Khvicha Tsopurachvili (Stade Français) [french-georgian]
Gia Kharaishvili (Racing)
Luka Chelidze (Toulon)
Mikheil Alania (Aurillac)
Nicoloz Kardava (Aurillac)
Irakli Mchedlidze (Aurillac)
Luka Nioradze (Aurillac)
Dachi Papunashvili (Aurillac)
Luka Azariashvili (Biarritz)
Iban Tsouladze (Biarritz) [french-georgian]
Nikoloz Narmania (Carcassonne)
Nugzari Somkhishvili (Carcassonne)
Nika Gvaladze (Grenoble)
Gela Murusidze (Mont de Marsan)
Irakli Umpriani (Nevers)
Aleksi Svianadze (Oyonnax)
Vakhtang Jintcharadze (Perpignan)
Zauri Tevdorashvili (Angoulême)

Germany
Michel Himmer (La Rochelle)
Oskar Rixen (Stade Français)

Japan
Hiroki Taguchi (Vannes)

Netherlands
Tyren Kroos (Agen)
Dave Koelman (Brive)
Ranger van Eerten (Brive)
Hugo Huurman (Aurillac)
Jade Plane (Oyonnax)
Bart Wierenga (Valence)
Monty Leverstein (Narbonne)
Daily Limmen (Narbonne)
Maximilien Zerdoun (Narbonne)

Portugal
Celso Mateus (Carcassonne)
Jose Duarte Madeira (Grenoble)

Romania
Luigi Ostoni (Bayonne) [italian-romanian]
Virgil Ghenea (Aurillac)
Alexandru Arnautu (Rouen)

Russia
Luc Brocas (Narbonne) [french-russian]

Samoa
Levi Milford (Carcassonne)
Henry Tuilagi jr (Perpignan) [french-samoan]

Spain
Iker Aduriz (Bayonne)
Alex Saleta (Bayonne)
Samuel Ezeala (Clermont)
Martin Alonso (La Rochelle)
Joël Merkler (Toulouse)
Gorbei Allende (Biarritz)
Kerman Aurrekoetxea (Biarritz)
Ekain Imaz (Biarritz)
Francesco Prieto (Biarritz)
Lucas Santamaria (Biarritz)
Matheo Triki (Nevers)

Tonga
Mosaati Moala (Brive) [french-tongian]
Wesley Tapueluelu (Brive)
Vaea Tutuila (Pau)

Ukraine
Mykola Kovalenko (Oyonnax)

USA
David Ainu'u (Toulouse)
Nafi Ma'afu (Perpignan)

I've been watching Darge for about 5 years and he is absolutely brilliant. As the captain of one our most competitive ever u20 teams last year he should really have played a lot more for Embra by now, but a combination of injuries, ludicrous strength in depth in his position and most importantly Cockerill being highly reluctant to pick young players have held him back. Glasgow should be a good fit for him and if he can get back on track he'll be a regular starter pretty quickly I'd expect.

5 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Is there relegation from the English prem this year?. Looking at it Worcester are odds on to go down, quite worrying considering DVM has signed for them

no relegation this year and  none for at least the next 3 seasons