Rugby Union

kiwififer

5 minutes ago, Captain Carrot said:

Itoje is one of those players you hate but if he was in your teams shirt he'd be an absolute hero.

Even though I was seething at the time, his ‘celebration’ alongside the Glasgow team who hadn’t realised a try had been disallowed was the most magnificent piece of trolling ever. Always been a favourite of mine since.

c**t.

Good c**t, though, IMO.

Ultimately a win for the Lions, but very fine margins could have changed the outcome.

I thought that when they decided the pass wasn't forward then Le Roux's try had to stand, I didn't think he was clearly in front of the kicker, certainly not by enough for the TMO to overturn the decision.

Having not given away a penalty in living memory, Watson was very lucky not to get a yellow, very surprised that it wasn't given closer scrutiny by the TMO.

On the flip side, the Saffers should have been warned after racking up a load of penalties early in the second half, think it was 6 or 7 in a row.

Thought all the Scots acquitted themselves well, Daly was a gamble at centre that didn't really work for me. Hope Harris gets the nod next week.

You can add me to the list of new admirers of Lawes, thought he was superb yesterday.

3 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Vunipola is the best scrummager at loose head, but IMO both Jones and Sutherland are better in all other aspects. Not much in it, of course.

I wouldn't drop Curry based on one match, I think he has enough quality to come back and be at his best. Curry is also more flexible. But he has to nail it, and early, or he could struggle to make the bench for the third test.

Not sure Conan did enough. He was fine, but I think Faletau is better and I was surprised he didn't start.

Henshaw and Harris seems to limited in attack IMO. If I were playing Harris at 13 I'd rather have Farrell at 12. I'm not sure Henshaw and Daly worked particularly well but I don't know what would work better.

Having not given away a penalty in living memory, Watson was very lucky not to get a yellow, very surprised that it wasn't given closer scrutiny by the TMO.

I haven't seen it since but in the replay I thought one of the Boks hit Le Roux as Mish was putting him down and that's what caused him to go beyond the horizontal. I suspect the TMO saw it this way too.

Vunipola is a pretty poor scrummager by international standards. He's a skillful ball carrier, and hits rucks well, but he's nowhere near reliable enough in the scrum, especially against SA. That's the main reason he wasn't in the original 23 for yesterday, and has been his major issue in big games throughout his career when he comes up against a half decent TH.

He did fine yesterday when he came on, but I'd be hard pushed to say the scrum was better on his side. Sinckler on the other side was obliterating Kitshoff, which in itself was a surprise, and Vunipola held his own without getting on top.

1 hour ago, scw1987 said:

I haven't seen it since but in the replay I thought one of the Boks hit Le Roux as Mish was putting him down and that's what caused him to go beyond the horizontal. I suspect the TMO saw it this way too.

does look like DuToit puts him over the horizontal 

19 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Vunipola is a pretty poor scrummager by international standards.

Folk used to say that, but it stopped being true about 3-4 years ago. He's definitely a top scrummager now, he's really aggressive.

I'd still rather have Jones or Sutherland though.

With Vunipola ive noticed it depends on the type of scrum. If you want him to anchor a scrum and not move at all he is really solid, but struggles if your trying to get go forward - its probably as soon as he has to move his feet he struggles. I was also suprissed / impressed with the scrum in the 2nd half when the subs came on, although the SA replacements coming on at half time didn't have any impact on the game

I thought he actually did a lot around the park 2nd half when he came on.

I thought Watson was really poor under the high ball, any SA danger came down his side.

Im just hoping that some actual rugby is played in the last 2 test, SA are just so predictable / boring to watch, bash it up close a couple of times, then high ball to the corner, repeat if ball's won.

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

With Vunipola ive noticed it depends on the type of scrum. If you want him to anchor a scrum and not move at all he is really solid, but struggles if your trying to get go forward - its probably as soon as he has to move his feet he struggles.

That's a good shout, I'll watch out for that.

Im just hoping that some actual rugby is played in the last 2 test, SA are just so predictable / boring to watch, bash it up close a couple of times, then high ball to the corner, repeat if ball's won.

Amen. It was a strange match, the hits were big but it didn't have that epic quality you normally get with Lions matches.

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

With Vunipola ive noticed it depends on the type of scrum. If you want him to anchor a scrum and not move at all he is really solid, but struggles if your trying to get go forward - its probably as soon as he has to move his feet he struggles. I was also suprissed / impressed with the scrum in the 2nd half when the subs came on, although the SA replacements coming on at half time didn't have any impact on the game

I thought he actually did a lot around the park 2nd half when he came on.

I thought Watson was really poor under the high ball, any SA danger came down his side.

That's exactly it with Vunipola. If you want him to make sure the scrum is solid, he can do it pretty well.