Rugby Union

kiwififer

On 09/04/2023 at 20:52, aDONisSheep said:

Feck me, it looks like world rugby reads Pie and Bovril (or dare I say it… ME!)

more importantly they are coming round to my way of thinking….  Which is nice!

20 min red card option

Less TMO

clocks on set pieces

Once they’ve sorted out number of subs, enforce straight feeds and a bit of rucking, we’ll be hunky-dory!

Yours, aDONis

Self appointed Emperor of rugby

Your point about less subs, to encourage players to carry a bit less bulk is interesting. 

On one hand I get the logic, on the other are you not worried about tired players with lazy technique in the tackle? 

17 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Your point about less subs, to encourage players to carry a bit less bulk is interesting. 

On one hand I get the logic, on the other are you not worried about tired players with lazy technique in the tackle? 

I'm actually hoping for the opposite.  I want to reduce the number of times a tired player has to front up against a fresh 100kg - 130kg brick outhouse, that's on the charge.

Subs being seen as 'finishers' (bleurch!), has led to rugby becoming more and more about power, and less (dare I say it) about skills.

Most benches these days are a 6 - 2 mix, so we know where the game is heading.

I think a certain level of fatigue (by having to play longer) would benefit smaller players and lead to more line breaks etc.

I'd also hope that it would help (in an admittedly small way) Smaller nations and Tier 2 nations to be more competative, because it would hopefully blunt the nations with large player pools, from being able to replace (almost) an entire pack with fresh 'Finishers' (bleurch!).

I know I come across as 'all negative' but I'm not.  I absolutely love rugby.  I want to see it grow and grow, but I worry that it will become a game for gym-monkeys only.

Yours

aDONis

Self appointed saviour of rugby

Leinster getting schooled in SA is extremely enjoyable

Edit to add - Although just noticed this puts the Bulls up to 5th, so assume if it stays like this we play them in the quarters, hopefully Munster or Connaught win tonight to go above them in the table 

Edited by honestly united

Ref is having a nightmare. Games like this show how much power they have because Connacht haven't really done anything, just played for set piece and waited for him to give them penalties.

So the URC play offs are as follows

Glasgow v Munster

Leinster v Sharks

Stormers v Bulls

Ulster v Connacht

So looking like Glasgow will finish their season with a loss in Dublin for the 2nd year running :)

We probably have a chance of winning there is we have the full squad fit, and Leinster are still reeling from there drubbing last weekend, and Toulouse & the Sharks take out a few. We do seem to be struggling for numbers 

Big end to the season for Glasgow, a win against Scarlets this weekend to set up a final vs Benneton or Toulon, this is probably our best season since we lost Finn, Johnny  and Hoggy. Franco Smith has done a great job turning this team around, giving us a solid forward pack, and keeping the backs playing exciting rugby. Also a big shout out to Tom Jordan who has grown thought the season and having started nearly every game has put in a shift at 10. At the start of the season I expected Thompson and Miotti to be battling it out for the 10 jersey with Weir and Jordan (who I had no idea about at the start of the year) as back ups, however with Thompson missing nearly the whole year through injury and Miotti hardly featuring Jordan has kept things ticking over, will be interesting to see how things pan out next season.

Also noted Walter Fifita has left by mutual consent, think he only played twice, and for a margue signing probably one of the biggest dissapointments.