Rugby Union

kiwififer

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Tbf, the vast majority of users on this site have no problems with the exclusively football-related BBC Scotland programme being termed  'Sportscene'.

You don't see any Scottish club rugby mentioned on TV at all, although I remember scores appearing back in the 90s.

In fact, is there any Scottish rugby highlights package???

Christ the coverage of premiership football outwith the old firm is minuscule, and is nearly non existent below the top flight, so absolutely no chance that other sports will get a look in.

We had the biggest integrated cycling event in history in Scotland a few weeks ago yet it might as well have been on the moon the amount of coverage it got…. or rather, didn’t get.

8 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

We had the biggest integrated cycling event in history in Scotland a few weeks ago

Couldn't tell you anything about it tbh.  Other than presuming it involved bikes of course.

Other than Lance Armstrong, I couldn't name a single non-Olympian competitive cyclist.

Edited by Hedgecutter

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Couldn't tell you anything about it tbh.  Other than presuming it involved bikes of course.

Other than Lance Armstrong, I couldn't name a single non-Olympian competitive cyclist.

It was just an example of how our sports media don’t give a shite about anything other than fitba, 2 teams in particular.

Cycling’s not really my bag either but such a huge international event should have been relatively big news on the tv, sports pages and websites.

7 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

It was just an example of how our sports media don’t give a shite about anything other than fitba, 2 teams in particular.

Cycling’s not really my bag either but such a huge international event should have been relatively big news on the tv, sports pages and websites.

Tbf to the BBC just about every event was live, either on TV, iplayer or website. But the national obsession with all things football rules the vast majority of the media coverage of all sports. 

20 minutes ago, Tattie36 said:

Our sports media don't even care much about football.

24 minutes ago, CFCBAFC said:

Coverage for Glasgows other teams that aren't football get f**k all coverage, Glasgow Tigers, Glasgow Rocks and Glasgow Warriors all respectfully get nothing

Glasgow Rocks don’t exist any more. They’re now called Caledonia Gladiators and play in East Kilbride.

Edited by Frankie S

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

You don't see any Scottish club rugby mentioned on TV at all, although I remember scores appearing back in the 90s.

In fact, is there any Scottish rugby highlights package???

Scotsport used to have a rugby section with Iain Anderson, who now introduces his "fine tunes" on Radio Scotland of an evening.

Edited by Lurkst

3 hours ago, Bialystock said:

It's not just Sexton, or O'mahny. They are a bunch of scumbags and thugs. Led by chief thug Farrel senior. 

It's rugby, not ballet. You think the Dublin private, sorry, 'voluntary' schools are just churning out thuggier guys anymore than the salt of the earth Scotch private schools are?

Tom English talks pish most of the time, but he nails it with one part of his summary of last night. If Scotland can't beat you be getting the ball wide, then they won't beat you. The two games we have lost have shown how one dimensional our attack is.

Edited by peasy23

Absolutely no way Townsend survives that.  He’ll walk.  Although, looking at the Facebook fans, he might just get nominated for King of the World seeing how well our boys fought.  

Two things can be simultaneously true: Scotland were in a tough group, and they underperformed in the big games.    The best squad we’ve had in decades got absolutely pumped by the two decent team in our group.  

9 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

This World Cup exit isn't, on paper, bad, given we had the number 1 and 2 ranked teams in the world in our group (SA slipped to third a week ago).

I don't mind Ireland at all and think they have their best chance ever to win it. If they beat New Zealand then it'll be them vs France or South Africa in the final. If it's South Africa then Ireland will win but if it's France then can see it going either way.

On paper it isn't the worst exit. I think the performance for 60 minutes last night was extremely disappointing and we looked like the softest of soft touches.

If Ireland don't win it, it will be a huge missed opportunity. They are the best team there from what I've seen.

9 hours ago, The Other Foot said:

Honestly don’t get the vitriol for Ireland’s rugby and football teams on this forum. Having lived here for a decade, I can assure you it’s not reciprocal. And sexton seems like a great guy 🤷🏻

No wonder they like our rugby team, easy fodder for them.

My own personal hoping they get beat is mainly driven by not wanting to listen to delighted, crawing Irish in-laws. Bitter, yes, but that's my own personality flaw.

Those late tries seem to have taken the edge off the criticism, which seems bizarre to me. They happened after Ireland had changed half their team and were clearly taking their foot off the gas. If Ireland had needed to keep a clean sheet I think they'd have managed it. It was the fact that it was so easy for them that allowed us to get a couple of tries. It was an absolute doing with no redeeming features.

I thought South Africa were there to be beaten in the first game too. I wouldn't go as far to say I'd criticise us for not winning but I thought they looked beatable, but we totally fell out the game 2nd half and didn't even make a game of it.

It's clearly a tough group, but I only think that's an excuse if you put in 2 good performances and fall just short. Neither game falls into that category.

Edited by Diamonds are Forever

8 minutes ago, Stevie Kirk said:

Realistically what other team gets out of a group containing Ireland and South Africa? 

At a pinch New Zealand? 

France?

I take your point, but would you take Scotland to beat Fiji playing like that?  How about Australia?  

England and Wales have both been dreadful, but got out their group. I think Scotland have been terrible n two games, proficient in one and absolutely no idea in the other.   To get to the semi finals - as I think there would surely have been an expectation- Scotland would have had to beat a higher ranked team at some point.  They were miles off it.  Absolutely miles.  

But beyond that, my disappointment is that, unlike the football team where there is clear progress, I don’t think this team is going anywhere.  Would you be surprised if Scotland only win two games next six nations?   

Edited by Savage Henry

I watched a Friday night live Super 6 game on BBC Alba, fortnight ago... Watsonians v Ayrshire... (incidentally literally about 150 people in Myreside). They showed Ayrshire v Southern Knights on Friday this weekend and BBC website streamed Boroughmuir v Watsonians yesterday. SRU website also streams games and has highlights.

I'd wager near enough nobody is interested.