Rugby Union

kiwififer

Leicester leading 12-9 with 15 mins left. Think that would probably be the best result for us, though due to my hatred of Leicester, I'd rather they didn't win, so would take a draw.

I'm watching this too. I dislike both teams so a draw would suffice for me. Looking good for Leicester now. Ye officiating hasn't been up to much, I reckon both teams can feel aggrieved by some of the decisions.

How much longer before English meeja starts moaning about salary caps holding English teams back as reason for em losing to Pro12 sides despite European Cup being heavily skewed to assist English n their sides still spending far more than Pro12 teams......

Glasgow right back in mix thanks to a very unexpected win by Leicester. Need to win last two n hope racing don't send the bonus point cadets out against munster #cheatingoffsidesideentrychunts

Munster and Racing to draw with Leone bagging six tries. After the game, he can choose to rejoin Glasgow or join Stade Francais - either would please me. Or Quins.

Munster and Racing to draw with Leone bagging six tries. After the game, he can choose to rejoin Glasgow or join Stade Francais - either would please me. Or Quins.

Given injuries n hindsight he possibly left a year or two early, for wrong side. Nobody would deny his right to a good payday after his service to the Warriors n way he will have developed guys like gray n Cummings but think he picked wrong club. Him n niko were awesome (also at times infuriating lol) but the bravery to try stuff is inherent to way toony played rugby n way Glasgow have gone from zebre style joke team to Pro12 champions.

Given injuries n hindsight he possibly left a year or two early, for wrong side. Nobody would deny his right to a good payday after his service to the Warriors n way he will have developed guys like gray n Cummings but think he picked wrong club. Him n niko were awesome (also at times infuriating lol) but the bravery to try stuff is inherent to way toony played rugby n way Glasgow have gone from zebre style joke team to Pro12 champions.

Agree with that completely. Racing are a physical team. Likewise Stade Francais to an extent (although Stade have Parisse, who is just a glorious man).

Naka was the reason we won Pro12 - or at least certainly during the final. We had a good team but he made it great. A forward who played like a back. I read earlier on in this topic that he wants to come back - I hope that's true. Although I'd like to see big Richie one day make a return too yet I suspect that won't happen.

Agree with that completely. Racing are a physical team. Likewise Stade Francais to an extent (although Stade have Parisse, who is just a glorious man).

Naka was the reason we won Pro12. We had a good team but he made it great. A forward who played like a back. I read earlier on in this topic that he wants to come back - I hope that's true. Although I'd like to see big Richie one day make a return too yet I suspect that won't happen.

Yep think it's more likely that guys like Cummings will develop rather than ritchie come back (it's good to have a few guys playing in other leagues anyway with only 2 pro sides). Naka could be infuriating with daft offloads at wrong times....but like niko they also created tries from nothing and he was the glue during the 6n n autumn international games when the side was depleted. His performance v ulster last season,when Glasgow had 26 odd players out, n all manner of guys were out of position, n lacey was as well wearing an ulster kit, was awesome. By next world cup we might well be very grateful for the Fiji weegies for influence they've had on young scottish players.

Yep think it's more likely that guys like Cummings will develop rather than ritchie come back (it's good to have a few guys playing in other leagues anyway with only 2 pro sides). Naka could be infuriating with daft offloads at wrong times....but like niko they also created tries from nothing and he was the glue during the 6n n autumn international games when the side was depleted. His performance v ulster last season when Glasgow had 26 odd players out n all manner of guys were out of position n lacey was as well wearing an ulster kit was awesome. By next world cup we might well be very grateful for the Fiji weegies

Like Naka, I don't begrudge Laidlaw getting a decent payday in France. He deserves it. Hardworking, gobby b*****d. Just the sort of captain we need.

As you say, definitely doesn't hurt having Scottish guys playing in other top leagues - though if they could all play for Harlequins or Stade, that'd be just tremendous. Huw Jones has never played in Scotland too and look at what potential he has. Likewise, John Hardie when he first got called up.

Like Naka, I don't begrudge Laidlaw getting a decent payday in France. He deserves it. Hardworking, gobby b*****d. Just the sort of captain we need.

As you say, definitely doesn't hurt having Scottish guys playing in other top leagues - though if they could all play for Harlequins or Stade, that'd be just tremendous. Huw Jones has never played in Scotland too and look at what potential he has. Likewise, John Hardie when he first got called up.

Laidlaw is an enigma for me....decent kicker (albeit a bugger for missing under pressure) brilliant captain, dreadful box kicker brilliant off cuff runner but poor slow passer. For me price Pyrgos horne n even shc should be the options from now into next rwc n let laidlaw have a well earned payday in France. Hardie for me is excellent but should be last of the kilted kiwis. We have enough options coming through without spending money importing players. The last 2 seasons of u20s have been excellent n I know from watching my wee lad playing that there's a fantastic generation moving from u14 to u18 right now. That's where our cash should be going rather than looking for players with a Scottish granny.....that said guys like hardie strauss etc are 10000 x shite like Brendan Laney that we used to throw cash at.

Laidlaw is an enigma for me....decent kicker (albeit a bugger for missing under pressure) brilliant captain, dreadful box kicker brilliant off cuff runner but poor slow passer. For me price Pyrgos horne n even shc should be the options from now into next rwc n let laidlaw have a well earned payday in France. Hardie for me is excellent but should be last of the kilted kiwis. We have enough options coming through without spending money importing players. The last 2 seasons of u20s have been excellent n I know from watching my wee lad playing that there's a fantastic generation moving from u14 to u18 right now. That's where our cash should be going rather than looking for players with a Scottish granny.....that said guys like hardie strauss etc are 10000 x shite like Brendan Laney that we used to throw cash at.

It's good to see that we're looking further afield to an extent. For example, Huw Jones was born in Edinburgh. It'd be nice to think that there are more of similar quality out there.

In regards to Laidlaw, he is 31 now. You'd imagine he'd chuck it in the next 3/4 years potentially. He's a solid kicker, certainly better than Parks, but his main strength (besides his glorious Levein-like voice) is his captaincy. We need the next captain to be someone like him - not afraid to be in the ref's ear. Almost a Southern Hemisphere mentality if you like.

Guys like Fagerson will do well. Wales (as much as I dislike them) are giving chances to young lads such as the 18 year old who plays for Ospreys. It'd be nice to think that we'll do the same. We do have excellent players though and if the lads coming through are as good as you say they are, it's quite exciting.

Just a shame that Leone played for Fiji before joining us. Him in a Scotland shirt would have been glorious.

4 hours ago, dogmc said:

If I can be slightly controversial, Laney had been outstanding in Super Rugby for the Highlanders but was never going to be picked for NZ. At the time he was targeted, he was effectively in the same situation as Josh Strauss (:wub:), except he would be immediately available to Scotland rather than needing a 3 year residency period. I'd certainly agree that he didn't produce the anywhere near the same form for Scotland, but some of his performances for Edinburgh were superb - the win at Myreside (I think, definitely wasn't Murrayfield) over Toulouse would be the highlight.

I'd agree that the guys coming now are much hungrier, and better overall. They are also helping raise the standard of the guys round them. Sam Johnson would be another that I'd highlight - he has been awesome over the last couple of weeks. It's forcing every other player to raise their overall standards, which can only be a good thing.

Finally, Tom English (who I normally enjoy) was spouting some crap on Sportsound on Friday over how Strauss had been pish recently and looked like he wouldn't be getting his contract renewed. Thankfully Josh silenced him almost immediately.