Rugby Union

kiwififer

Finally, Tom English (who I normally enjoy) was spouting some crap on Sportsound on Friday over how Strauss had been pish recently and looked like he wouldn't be getting his contract renewed. Thankfully Josh silenced him almost immediately.

The part about the contract not getting renewed would be an exaggeration in my opinion. But he has not been playing as well as he should (as has his teammates) in the last couple of months.
It is getting reported (NZ Herald who have got it from a UK paper) that Gatland will not be returning to Wales after the Lions tour. And will be staying behind in New Zealand.

23 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

The part about the contract not getting renewed would be an exaggeration in my opinion. But he has not been playing as well as he should (as has his teammates) in the last couple of months.
It is getting reported (NZ Herald who have got it from a UK paper) that Gatland will not be returning to Wales after the Lions tour. And will be staying behind in New Zealand.

Replacing Rennie at the Chiefs seems to be one of the stories regarding Gatland.

As for Strauss, I'd agree in principle, but as I said a few weeks ago, one of the issues has been the high standards he and the other Glasgow guys have set over the last few years. His performances of late have been fairly average rather than poor in general terms, but they look extremely poor compared to his normal offerings. He's had a couple of injuries too, but this is the first real dip in form I remember him having in his 100 games - that's some effort, and, thankfully, it also seems to be over!

Not sure strauss was 100% fit to be fair to him. Had the feel of him being rushed back due to the huge injury list. I'd like him to both stay at Glasgow n Scotland squad. He's a perfect role model of magnus Bradbury at embra. He has potential to do everything strauss does but is arguably even pacier. He's outstanding for his age n he could learn so much just from training with strauss at Scotland squads.

It's good to see that we're looking further afield to an extent. For example, Huw Jones was born in Edinburgh. It'd be nice to think that there are more of similar quality out there.

In regards to Laidlaw, he is 31 now. You'd imagine he'd chuck it in the next 3/4 years potentially. He's a solid kicker, certainly better than Parks, but his main strength (besides his glorious Levein-like voice) is his captaincy. We need the next captain to be someone like him - not afraid to be in the ref's ear. Almost a Southern Hemisphere mentality if you like.

Guys like Fagerson will do well. Wales (as much as I dislike them) are giving chances to young lads such as the 18 year old who plays for Ospreys. It'd be nice to think that we'll do the same. We do have excellent players though and if the lads coming through are as good as you say they are, it's quite exciting.

Just a shame that Leone played for Fiji before joining us. Him in a Scotland shirt would have been glorious.

Johnny gray is developing a nice way of 'seeking clarification' from refs in Pro12. ...and indeed showing remarkable restraint by not banjoing them! I'd imagine he's a stick on for next skipper. He's not as gobby as laidlaw but he doesn't let anything go either, bit like kellock was. Remember how timid ford was....shudders.

In a perverse way the amount of time finn has had off might have helped him. Feels like he's come back a better player. Will always have the odd brain fade but he's best 10 we have had in a very very long time. Tackles well kicks well good passer manages the game well n has the creative spark to find a way through even the most stubborn defence.

I'd have the same squad for Edinburgh away. Hopefully plus Favaro. Very tough game. If we get through that with at least 4 points then we can rest a generous handful for going to Treviso.

Yep embra on their day are much better than league table suggests and their youngsters are very useful. Glasgow can't afford to lose many more n still make play offs (think a home semi is very unlikely now). Eta nice to see Lewis Wynne rewarded with a full pro contract

7 hours ago, dogmc said:

Yep embra on their day are much better than league table suggests and their youngsters are very useful. Glasgow can't afford to lose many more n still make play offs (think a home semi is very unlikely now). Eta nice to see Lewis Wynne rewarded with a full pro contract

Good news about Lewis Wynne and his academy colleague.

We must get 4 points minimum at Edinburgh, 5 in Treviso then 4 points minimum at home to Cardiff Blues before Europe starts again.

Europe is very important and it's crucial to make the knock-outs but the league is the bread and butter.

Edited by come on shire

Good news about Lewis Wynne and his academy colleague.
We must get 4 points minimum at Edinburgh, 5 in Treviso then 4 points minimum at home to Cardiff Blues before Europe starts again.
Europe is very important and it's crucial to make the knock-outs but the league is the bread and butter.

Agreed.

On 17/12/2016 at 19:29, Mark Connolly said:

Connacht score a lineout drive and convert from the touchline in injury time to absolutely rob Wasps blind :lol:

ref is in a bit of trouble as the new rule allowing the line out after the clock goes dead does not come into effect until the 1st of Jan in the SH and the 1st of Aug in the NH

34 minutes ago, ajwffc said:

ref is in a bit of trouble as the new rule allowing the line out after the clock goes dead does not come into effect until the 1st of Jan in the SH and the 1st of Aug in the NH

Yeah. It had been an experimental rule in the SH this season, and has been on the 7s circuit for a while. Tough to blame him when they have different laws all over the place tbh.

On Will Greenwood's podcast, he said that he was commentating on another game where he said a team should kick to the corner because the new laws allowed it, only to be corrected by his co-commentators!

Yeah. It had been an experimental rule in the SH this season, and has been on the 7s circuit for a while. Tough to blame him when they have different laws all over the place tbh.
On Will Greenwood's podcast, he said that he was commentating on another game where he said a team should kick to the corner because the new laws allowed it, only to be corrected by his co-commentators!

Tbf refs in Pro12 can't even manage the laws as they stand let alone experimental ones.....only fair an English side gets to experience a hint of the Pro12 experience [emoji2]

Tbf refs in Pro12 can't even manage the laws as they stand let alone experimental ones.....only fair an English side gets to experience a hint of the Pro12 experience [emoji2]

And it favoured an Irish side