Rugby Union

kiwififer

16 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Off topic always wondered who supports Melbourne City. Melbourne Victory have been established for a few years, so surely everyone who likes football in Melbourne will be supporting them. So unless people converted to support the other side I can't see where they will get their support base from.

Some comments from some fans here. https://www.reddit.com/r/Aleague/comments/3eqcmu/why_do_people_support_melbourne_city/

1st squad for the Lions tour has been named 

Spoiler

Provincial Barbarians 

Forwards:
Aiden Ross (Bay of Plenty)
Tolu Fahamokioa (Wellington)
Sam Anderson-Heather (Otago)
Epalahame Faiva (Waikato)
Marcel Renata (Auckland)
Quinten Strange (Tasman)
Joshua Goodhue (Northland)
Heiden Bedwell-Curtis (Manawatu)
Mitchell Brown (Taranaki)
Matthew Matich (Northland)
Peter Rowe (Wanganui)

Backs:
Jonathan Taumateine (Counties Manukau)
Jack Stratton (Canterbury)
Bryn Gatland (North Harbour)
Jonathan Fa’auli (Taranaki)
Jonah Lowe (Hawke’s Bay)
Sevuloni Reece (Waikato)
Luteru Laulala (Counties Manukau)
Junior Ngaluafe (Southland)

Sad to see another top boi hang up the boots. Was treated appallingly badly by scott Johnson n the sru.

Was he? He does seem like a thoroughly nice chap, but I think his claim to a starting berth was always slightly shoogly, even as captain.

Sarto returning for Glasgow tomorrow night. Didn’t realise he was even close to coming back so it’s good if he can manage a few of games before the end of the season. Other than that, very much a second string side with a weak bench.

C9SaThBXkAAeoVS.jpg

Edited by Jaggy Snake

Was he? He does seem like a thoroughly nice chap, but I think his claim to a starting berth was always slightly shoogly, even as captain.

Wasnt dropping him so much as the way it was done. Allegedly press knew about it before him and he was exiled from the squad completely with little or no communication as to why. We were never in a position to drop a guy like that from the squad completely with oyr resources.

Wasnt dropping him so much as the way it was done. Allegedly press knew about it before him and he was exiled from the squad completely with little or no communication as to why. We were never in a position to drop a guy like that from the squad completely with oyr resources.

That's fair.

I think the issue was that Johnson was playing him as an openside, and would only pick him as an openside when it was clear that he was much better as a blindside. Would still never going to be first choice, but should have been in the squad (the same as Barclay for the last few years) I am assuming there was a falling out while he was captain, which meant he was never asked back, as you cant see someone who was a regular at Saracens (was he not captain there as well?) not being called up otherwise

Kelly Brown was never a great player imo and captained a pretty mediocre team, though I was at the 2013 home win vs Ireland which admittedly was a great result.

However, he was a great servant to the cause on the pitch and was a good advocate for the game in Scotland.

As for tonight, Toony's resting a few for the last 2 games but allows the new 1st teamers to get into the mix and allows the 1st teamers coming back from long-term injury to get back playing. 

I can see why as you want a strong side for going to Dublin (a thumping there would look bad and do the fringe players confidence no good) and the last home game which is a derby with silverware up for grabs.

Even though the play-offs are gone we could still get 5th and get Pot 3 in Europe next season. Zebre are making a raft of changes. Not sure why though...

Kelly Brown was never a great player imo and captained a pretty mediocre team, though I was at the 2013 home win vs Ireland which admittedly was a great result.
However, he was a great servant to the cause on the pitch and was a good advocate for the game in Scotland.
As for tonight, Toony's resting a few for the last 2 games but allows the new 1st teamers to get into the mix and allows the 1st teamers coming back from long-term injury to get back playing. 
I can see why as you want a strong side for going to Dublin (a thumping there would look bad and do the fringe players confidence no good) and the last home game which is a derby with silverware up for grabs.
Even though the play-offs are gone we could still get 5th and get Pot 3 in Europe next season. Zebre are making a raft of changes. Not sure why though...

I'm always perplexed that given how scarce our playing resources always are that we jettison players so easily. Brown Beattie n ally hogg come to mind, along with barclay for a long time n rob harley. Blair Cowan also seems to be out of favour ( maybe due to injury ). Jon Welsh was in training squad for 6n then dropped altogether even though we were crying out for his scrummaging prowess. I mind Simon Taylor making himself unavailable due to some sort of fallout with the sru which was never really explained.