Rugby Union

kiwififer

Sad news as Stuart Hogg and Tommy Seymour are expected to miss Scotland's summer tour.
Looking pretty much full strength otherwise though...

And hopefully as Lions players pull out we don't send anymore of our guys on to that sinking ship. Just a shame our tour is so close geographically

Torn on this. On the one hand, it means that we aren't going to be missing too many players (touch wood). On the other hand, Warren Gatland [emoji38].

Gatland's Lions get ripped a new one with few if any Scots while we've a, very nearly, full squad for our tour. Win Win no?

Gatland's Lions get ripped a new one with few if any Scots while we've a, very nearly, full squad for our tour. Win Win no?

I'd imagine most if not all the inevitable injury call ups will come from the Scotland tour.

38 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

That was partly the point I was trying to make...but it also shows what an absolute balloon Gatland is. When you have got English and Welsh people in the BBC comments section questioning the lack of Scots and over-representation of Welsh in the team, it's clear he's been more of a fud than normal.

25 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

This. But in all honesty how detrimental would it be to ones career if say someone like j gray just said no?

It'll never happen but I'd absolutely love it if Hogg and Seymour did a Roy Keane and told Gatland to shove his Lions up his arse when he inevitably picks Halfpenny and North to start over them. Obviously, that'll never happen.

49 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I'd imagine most if not all the inevitable injury call ups will come from the Scotland tour.

That is a concern.

7 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Launchbury, Hartley, Haskell, Ringrose, Heaslip, Scott Williams, George Ford, Ryan, May, Zebo and Earls all still at home. I think Gatland would pick any of them ahead of a Scot.

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Launchbury, Hartley, Haskell, Ringrose, Heaslip, Scott Williams, George Ford, Ryan, May, Zebo and Earls all still at home. I think Gatland would pick any of them ahead of a Scot.

All true....but the geography may be an issue....my preference would be that we no longer participate....its 4 tours now we have had piss taken.....we should stop indulging the Wales / England sky show.

Lewis Carmichael (who was year above me at school) has been named in the Western Force team to play the Chiefs on Saturday. Some game to be chucked into.

I'm presuming he has played rugby before. Because if he hasn't, that seems like a mighty risk.

To be fair

Trying to play fast expansive daring rugby against the all blacks in New Zealand is hardly any more likely to succeed

It has more chance on the proviso that the lion's had there best players. The abs would still be red hot favourites but there's more chance of breaking down their defence by moving them all over the park and stretching the defensive line. Simply thumping it up the middle in a wholly predictable manner makes defending much easier especially for guys like nz.

Eta that's why gatland has such an abysmal record v sh teams. Only 3 wins ever n two of those were with lions v an Oz team we beat home n away ( and one of those down to Oz kicker slipping! )

It has more chance on the proviso that the lion's had there best players. The abs would still be red hot favourites but there's more chance of breaking down their defence by moving them all over the park and stretching the defensive line. Simply thumping it up the middle in a wholly predictable manner makes defending much easier especially for guys like nz.
Eta that's why gatland has such an abysmal record v sh teams. Only 3 wins ever n two of those were with lions v an Oz team we beat home n away ( and one of those down to Oz kicker slipping! )

I don't think we're in disagreement here. This is probably the difference between the All Blacks being red hot and white hot favourites.

It probably makes far less difference to the likelihood of any kind of result than it does to the chances of the series being worth watching.