Rugby Union

kiwififer

Very lucky that the ref didn't see/chose to ignore Ryan Wilson throwing a punch at Steyn after he'd chucked Pyrgos. Moronic.
On a more positive note, enjoyable performance by Scotland. 2nd try was good, 4th try even better, Duncan Taylor's hair the best.

Ryan Wilson throwing an off the ball punch?? Some mistake surely??.....

It was weak but it was silly. Not as silly as the rendition of the Italian national anthem though.

Anthems were awful. Aye Wilson could really do with dropping that nonsense from his game.....so many daft pens n cards he's given away unnecessarily. Frustrating because he's a really decent player.

Have to say i like tom english but his match report on on the bbc website was bordering on disgraceful. Almost like any positives had to be chiselled out of him. He can be bit hyperbolic when Scotland lose but he came over as v bitter in this article. Really not sure what his problem is beyond fact that he had previously defended gatland over ommitting so many scots n that has been to look silly between both that performance v italy and the lions turgid displays.

One game in and already the Scotland tour has produced a standard of rugby way better than the lions have managed in 3. Granted the Nz provinces are probably better than Italy but at least they are trying to play rugby

Agreed. Is why I was keen on toony taking over from cotter. The ambition was great to see. Didn't always work but it's the sort of play that's horrible defend when it's well executed because you can't simply blitz up. Italy are in a bit if a dip at the moment but the beat sa within last 12 months and have turned us over plenty of times before.....plus we were a few players shy of our strongest xv. A very promising start

12 hours ago, dogmc said:

Have to say i like tom english but his match report on on the bbc website was bordering on disgraceful. Almost like any positives had to be chiselled out of him. He can be bit hyperbolic when Scotland lose but he came over as v bitter in this article. Really not sure what his problem is beyond fact that he had previously defended gatland over ommitting so many scots n that has been to look silly between both that performance v italy and the lions turgid displays.

I'm not sure it came across as bitter, but you are right, it was very dry.

I thought we were really good. Granted we were playing quite a poor team, who would probably be mid table in the pro 12, but we played some great stuff and looked like we are starting to build some depth that we didn't really know we had. Certainly you would never have wanted to go into any test match, even earlier this year, without Hogg, Laidlaw, Seymour or the Grays, but we didn't actually miss any of them yesterday. In fact, you'd think Laidlaw is slipping into second choice now.

I do worry about Russell's longevity in the game. He's so brave with the way he delays his kicks and offloads, which makes him so dangerous, but also means he pretty much gets the shit kicked out of him every game. He's fantastic to watch though. He's the one guy I think we really do struggle without. Horne and Weir aren't anywhere near as good. Hopefully Hastings is the real deal.

Australia will be a good test. Run them close the last couple of times, so hopefully can snatch it this time. Don't want a gubbing anyway.

I'm not sure it came across as bitter, but you are right, it was very dry.
I thought we were really good. Granted we were playing quite a poor team, who would probably be mid table in the pro 12, but we played some great stuff and looked like we are starting to build some depth that we didn't really know we had. Certainly you would never have wanted to go into any test match, even earlier this year, without Hogg, Laidlaw, Seymour or the Grays, but we didn't actually miss any of them yesterday. In fact, you'd think Laidlaw is slipping into second choice now.
I do worry about Russell's longevity in the game. He's so brave with the way he delays his kicks and offloads, which makes him so dangerous, but also means he pretty much gets the shit kicked out of him every game. He's fantastic to watch though. He's the one guy I think we really do struggle without. Horne and Weir aren't anywhere near as good. Hopefully Hastings is the real deal.
Australia will be a good test. Run them close the last couple of times, so hopefully can snatch it this time. Don't want a gubbing anyway.

Russell also tackles very bravely too. I'm quite comfortable with Horne as back up....he won't do the amazing things like finn but he won't do the crazy stuff either. As long as he gets quick ball he is a good game manager solid kicker decent tackler and can spot a gap. Weir is barely at pro 12 form right now sadly. Best to keep him our if international arena til he gets his mojo back. Saw bit of Hastings at last year's u20 rwc and he really looks like it's all there for him. As for laid law I can't see how he could displace price and don't think he would fit way toony wants us to play. I'd say let him concentrate on enjoying rest of his club career. Pyrgos n shc can back up price til wee George is ready. Great to have so many options at half back now.

I thought the game on Sat is a win which should be absolutely savoured.  I was delighted all weekend :)

Barring Sergio Parisse it was Italy's strongest team especially with the new English champs Exeter Chief's Michele Campagnaro and Glasgow's Leonardo Sarto in tow.  We had Staurt Hogg, Tommy Seymour and Greig Laidlaw away with the Lions, Mark Bennett, Huw Jones, Richie Gray, Al Dickinson and John Hardie injured and Jonny Gray and Hamish Watson rested.  Plus Singapore is an unknown venue with high heat and humidity levels.  It could have been a tough arm wrestle.

Toony has said that he wants to build on Cotter's good work but add his own ideas to our play.  The summer tests are traditionally used to experiment at the end of a long season too.  So this was never straight forward going into this match imho.

However, I was proven wrong.  Italy were absolutely appalling and were a penalty machine BUT we were clinical and did our jobs well.  It's a good start but Oz in Sydney will be a far tougher game.

The positives are that we have a squad going into the game on the back of a good win with a couple of key players still to come in.  Our previous 3 games vs Oz have been defeats but by 6 points at most.  Our last win was in Newcastle, NSW in 2012 with a far weaker squad than we have now where we done well to win an arm wrestle in a storm. 

However, the Aussies are a great side but their game's a mess off the park, we have a far better team than back in 2012, where we can entertain with our running rugby especially if it stays dry.

Very, very tough but winnable imo. 

On 6/11/2017 at 15:12, honestly united said:

One game in and already the Scotland tour has produced a standard of rugby way better than the lions have managed in 3. Granted the Nz provinces are probably better than Italy but at least they are trying to play rugby

It's amazing how good the home nations look when Gatland takes there one up, crash ball players away. (I'm only joking here!)