Rugby Union

kiwififer

Ireland will do what they always do at the World Cup and bottle it. They’ve yet to go beyond the QFs. If they keep up form they may have a chance but I doubt it.

Edited by David990

31 minutes ago, Swordfishtrombone said:

A bit off topic but I watched a decent documentary on iplayer called Codebreakers, it is about Welsh players that switched from union to league going back to the early part of the last century. I'm not really much of rugby fan but I like a good sports documentary, and this was really interesting.

Yep there was Jonathan Davies who's now a pundit.

Also, Ryan Giggs moved from Wales to Salford as a toddler as his dad got a move as a pro league player. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a union background...

5 minutes ago, come on shire said:

Yep there was Jonathan Davies who's now a pundit.

Also, Ryan Giggs moved from Wales to Salford as a toddler as his dad got a move as a pro league player. I wouldn't be surprised if he had a union background...

One of the interesting parts of the documentary is that racial prejudice prompted black players to move to rugby league. There are two players featured, Billy Boston and Clive Sullivan who chose to move to league( where they became greats), not just for money but because at the time there was no chance they would go far in the Welsh rugby union system.

I watched it on Iplayer last night and thought it was fascinating. The class and racial prejudice in union was laid bare. I think the culture of rugby has a lot going for it but there's a snobby element which is off putting, this documentary exposes the worst of it. I think Union is objectively a better sport than League, but the culture of League is more appealing than that of Union, particularly from someone far more used to watching football than rugby.

For anyone who hasn't seen the Belgium v Spain refereeing farce, there's a ref on YouTube who has made a critical video of the referee's performance. He has a bit of an annoying voice but it's interesting all the same and some of the decisions are just awful. It's as if Clancy and Barnes got together to see if they could outdo each other.

The Pro14 policy to select neutral refs is coming on nicely
CONNACHT RUGBY V EDINBURGH – KO 19:35

Referee: George Clancy (IRFU, 99th competition game)
AR1: David Wilkinson (IRFU). AR2: Shane Kierans (IRFU)
TMO: Kevin Beggs (IRFU)
TG4: 19:20
BBC ALBA: 19:30

DRAGONS V TOYOTA CHEETAHS – KO 19:35 / 21:35 SA

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 163rd competition game)
AR1: Ben Whitehouse (WRU). AR2: Mike English (WRU)
TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)
BBC2 Wales: 19:30
SuperSport One: 21:30 SA

GLASGOW WARRIORS V ZEBRE – KO 19:35 / 21:35 SA

Referee: Craig Evans (WRU, 2nd competition game)
AR1: Ian Davies (WRU). AR2: Adam Jones (WRU)
TMO: Non-televised game

Saturday, March 24, 2018

SOUTHERN KINGS V BENETTON RUGBY – KO 15:00 SA

Referee: Quinton Immelman (SARU, 10th competition game)
AR1: Cwengile (SARU). AR2: Rodney Boneparte (SARU)
TMO: Shaun Veldsman
SuperSport One: 14:30

CARDIFF BLUES V ULSTER RUGBY – KO 15:15

Referee: Mike Adamson (SRU, 19th competition game)
AR1: Sam Grove-White (SRU). AR2: Dunx McClement (SRU)
TMO: Andrew McMenemy (SRU)
Sky Sports Arena: 15:00
Sky Sports Arena is available on Channel 408 (508 for Virgin customers)

MUNSTER RUGBY V SCARLETS – KO 17:30

Referee: Marius Mitrea (FIR, 79th competition game)
AR1: Andrea Piardi (FIR). AR2: Manuel Bottino (FIR)
TMO: Matteo Liperini (FIR)
Sky Sports Arena: 17:15
Sky Sports Arena is available on Channel 408 (508 for Virgin customers)

OSPREYS RUGBY V LEINSTER RUGBY – KO 19:35

Referee: John Lacey (IRFU, 69th competition game)
AR1: Andrew Brace (IRFU). AR2: Frank Murphy (IRFU)
TMO: Simon McDowell (IRFU)
S4C: 19:15

So they give Owens the Dragons game - OK, they're not getting neutral refs but he's the best out there - and then also stick Ben Whitehouse, who is probably the next best available out on the touchline? While inflicting Clancy and Lacey on games which involve Irish sides (both of whom also have Irish touch judges and TMO) one of which is an AWAY game? It's like they're not even trying to hide it any more.

Big game for Glasgow tonight as we need to win to keep that gap on Munster.  If we win (preferably with a BP) and Munster slip up vs Scarlets (though I'd fancy Munster at home) 1st place should be wrapped up.

It's a banana skin as Italian rugby has improved massively under Conor O'Shea so it's going to be a really tricky game.  Looking forward to getting back to Scotstoun though :) 

Big game for Glasgow tonight as we need to win to keep that gap on Munster.  If we win (preferably with a BP) and Munster slip up vs Scarlets (though I'd fancy Munster at home) 1st place should be wrapped up.
It's a banana skin as Italian rugby has improved massively under Conor O'Shea so it's going to be a really tricky game.  Looking forward to getting back to Scotstoun though [emoji4] 
We won't lose at Scotstoun. No chance