Rugby Union

kiwififer

Richie Vernon leaves Glasgow to join London Scottish next season.  He's combining it with prepping for a job in finance so thinking he'll be ending his career there.

Stalwart and committed to the Warriors cause imo but he was blighted with long-term injuries so it's the right decision tbh.

details of the seeding and how the draw works here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_European_Rugby_Champions_Cup

We will be 2nd Tier, and Embra 3rd

Teams in Tier 1, 2 & 3 must be from a different league (ie one English, one french and one Pro14) so we can only get Cardiff or Ulster from our league.

Worst draw would be Sarries, Toulouse and Toulon, best would be Exeter, Lyon and Cardiff.

2 hours ago, honestly united said:

details of the seeding and how the draw works here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018–19_European_Rugby_Champions_Cup

We will be 2nd Tier, and Embra 3rd

Teams in Tier 1, 2 & 3 must be from a different league (ie one English, one french and one Pro14) so we can only get Cardiff or Ulster from our league.

Worst draw would be Sarries, Toulouse and Toulon, best would be Exeter, Lyon and Cardiff.

Wouldn't mind Exeter again, was a good trip despite the result last year.

4 hours ago, come on shire said:

Well you can draw a team from your own league but I think you might be right that teams from the Guinness Pro14 can't draw each other in the pools.

I'm looking forward to the draw for a change.  Since we won the conference and got a home s/f, I'm assuming that we'll be in the top seeds and avoid Leinster and Munster. The Cheetahs don't compete in Europe and Scarlets should be in the top seeds too.  In England, Saracens beat Exeter in the final so I'd assume we'll avoid them.  Montpellier beat Castres in the Top 14 final so I'd hope to avoid them too.  I'd like another trip to Bath actually.

Other way round ;)

Was at the London Sevens over the weekend with my son. Highly  enjoyable couple of days.

Still can’t fathom the draw though. Our group had the teams ranked 1 (Fiji), 3 (NZ), 7 (Argentina) and 10 (ourselves) in the current IRB Sevens series standings, whereas guest side Ireland got Australia (4), Spain (13) and Wales (14). Absolutely no excuse for these ‘seedings’. Hard to resist the conclusion that the hosts didn’t want Scotland raining on their parade by walking off with the Cup for the third year running.

That said, Scotland didn’t show up all weekend. We had our moments on Saturday, without actually ever threatening to beat NZ or Fiji, then lost against Argentina from a winning position. Tough group for sure, however there was no excuse for losing to Russia on Sunday morning, after being 14-0 up  then enjoying an extra man for 2 mins after a yellow card offence by our opponents. An inexcusable decision to kick the ball aimlessly forward rather than keep it in hand (when an overlap was on and the tryline at our mercy) during the period of numerical supremacy summed up our weekend. 

Getting absolutely skelped by a very poor Samoa side in the 13th / 14th place play off was pathetic. The team looked dispirited by that stage. Noticeable that whereas most of the nations came out to mingle with the supporters after their interest in the competition had ended, posing for photos and signing autographs, Scotland didn’t reappear.

We usually beef the side up a bit for London, though no sign of that this weekend. Jamie Farndale was decent, most of the rest were poor. Assume Riddell and Graham sustained injuries as they didn’t appear for the later matches. Watching the high intensity, high tempo warm ups by the likes of USA and Fiji, contrasted starkly with Scotland’s relatively relaxed, lackadaisical pre-match approach.

Not sure why we we were so off the pace, we just didn’t look up for it at all. By contrast, Ireland were really fired up and performed well above expectations.

I know there are issues relating to future funding of the Scotland Sevens side, and rumours of a combined GB Sevens side as we approach the next Olympic cycle seem to be resurfacing, but the France match apart, Scotland looked worryingly demoralised and disinterested at times.

Winners Fiji were absolutely brilliant. A joy to watch. Pace, power and skill throughout their squad. 

Edited by Frankie S

38 minutes ago, Frankie S said:

Still can’t fathom the draw though. Our group had the teams ranked 1 (Fiji), 3 (NZ), 7 (Argentina) and 10 (ourselves) in the current IRB Sevens series standings, whereas guest side Ireland got Australia (4), Spain (13) and Wales (14). Absolutely no excuse for these ‘seedings’. Hard to resist than, e conclusion that the hosts didn’t want Scotland raining on their parade by walking off with the Cup for the third year running.

the draw is based on the tournament before  Fiji, South Africa, Australia, England were the top 4 sides in Singapore so were top seeds. New Zealand, Samoa, Kenya, Spain finished 5th-7th so were 2nd seeds. USA, Canada, Scotland, Wales were 9th-10th so were 3rd seeds. Japan (team 16), Argentina, France, Russia finished 13th - 15th so were bottom seeds. 

State of Origin game 1 tonight at the MCG. No Slater (injured) Thurston, Cronk, Smith (retired from rep games) for Queensland swings the game in NSW’s favour but it is State of Origin. Kick-off 11.15am UK time.

State of Origin game 1 tonight at the MCG. No Slater (injured) Thurston, Cronk, Smith (retired from rep games) for Queensland swings the game in NSW’s favour but it is State of Origin. Kick-off 11.15am UK time.
Will be weird seeing a QLD team without all those big names. Lot of debutants for the Blues. Could be a close on.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

That should be strong enough. Should.

It's an interesting line up! To be fair, all these guys either need a chance yo stake a claim or a bit of game time after a few injuries. We are obviously getting Lang capped asap as well to stop anyone else, though I'm surprised he's not playing at 10. Probably one of the weakest backlines we've put out in a while, but there should be enough in the pack.

2 hours ago, ajwffc said:

it looks like a play yourself into the World Cup squad team  to me 

Yeah, which is fair enough. We are going to need a big squad with Japan and Samoa in the group. It's going to be a tough ask to qualify, especially as I think we might have Samoa and Japan back to back with a 4 day gap.

That team fills me with fear. As folk have said, they should have enough but I fear they won't. Canada are a dangerous outfit. That being said, these players all deserve a crack at the national team and I'll be more than happy to be proven wrong.

That team should have more than enough to run up a big score against a Canada side who have just lost to US & Uruguay in RWC qualifying, and are on the worst run of results in their history, and without DTH would be even further outside the top 20 than they are already.

WIth the exception of Ritchie, the 2 centres, SHC, Carmicheal and McCallum I would expect all of those selected to be in the world cup squad (or there abouts)

I'm not going to lie, it's a very experimental squad so I think Toony wants to work out who can be an able depute for Finn Russell. Also, who's able to earn a place in the Scotland set-up leading into next season, the WC and beyond.

If we want this tour to be a success then the newer guys such as McGuigan, Harris and Lang will have to come into this squad and perform.

The Canadians have DTH as their top try scorer and pushed us all the way in Toronto in 2014. If we're to lose it'll be a bigger shock than last year's defeat in Fiji but nevertheless this could be a tricky game if our new look team don't get firing.