Rugby Union

kiwififer

Thought the World Cup squad would be announced today.

Despite his performance on Saturday I think Barclay gets left out. I also think Strauss might miss out along with Rob Harley. Jackson as the back up Stand off instead of Weir. Won't take the risk with Dunbar either I don't think.

Scottish players being told today, official media announcement tomorrow.

No way will strauss miss out

Edited by John Lambies Doos

Although it would be a bit of a gut wrencher for the guys who miss out I would be quite happy to see the likes of Harley and Weir playing for Glasgow this weekend. Given that the squad had to be submitted today, I can't see why it's not being announced till tomorrow.

Although it would be a bit of a gut wrencher for the guys who miss out I would be quite happy to see the likes of Harley and Weir playing for Glasgow this weekend. Given that the squad had to be submitted today, I can't see why it's not being announced till tomorrow.

Lets Cotter work out who he can trust and who he has yet to break IMO.

I've seen the purported leaked squad the Daily Mail had. Barclay misses out and Swinson is in which seems wrong to me.

Only suprise for me is Blair Cowan missing from the back row completely - i am assuming he is going to have either McInally or Vernon cover openside as he only has Hardie in there, and the other 4 can cover blind side and nos.8.

Also think one of Jackson or Tonks would have been picked to give extra Full Back / stand off cover.

I think the squads is ok except I would have gonr for Harley in for Swinson, Cowan for Strokosch and Jackson for Wilson

Only suprise for me is Blair Cowan missing from the back row completely - i am assuming he is going to have either McInally or Vernon cover openside as he only has Hardie in there, and the other 4 can cover blind side and nos.8.

Also think one of Jackson or Tonks would have been picked to give extra Full Back / stand off cover.

I think the squads is ok except I would have gonr for Harley in for Swinson, Cowan for Strokosch and Jackson for Wilson

Maitland can also play at full back. You can also call up players to replace injured ones but once a player has been replaced can't be called back into the squad.

Tonks isn't good enough IMO and with Weir and Maitland (if he is fit) in there then we are sorted.

Feel for Beattie to be honest.

Granted but until there is an injury Hardy is pretty much havng to play every minute at openside with no recognised replacement is a big ask for what is (apart from Hooker and Scrum Half) one of the most important positions on the pitch. If he gets injured during the SA or Samoa games we are shafted as there wont be an openside to come on for him.

eta dont think Tonks is good enough either, but gives an option to cover fullback and Stand Off, but Jackson would have been a better option

Edited by honestly united

Tonks isn't good enough IMO and with Weir and Maitland (if he is fit) in there then we are sorted.

Feel for Beattie to be honest.

There's clearly a personality issue with Beattie. I read in a New Zealand newspaper, your man Cotter's first training session was a very weird thing. He didn't say a single thing. No instructions, no introductions, nothing. He just let the players organise it, and from that day he could see who the natural leaders were. Selections since then have largely been based on those first impressions - form and injury notwithstanding. It's pretty obvious who the leaders were that day.

I feel sorry for Blair Cowan - he's been pretty much a regular choice for a couple of years now.

There's clearly a personality issue with Beattie. I read in a New Zealand newspaper, your man Cotter's first training session was a very weird thing. He didn't say a single thing. No instructions, no introductions, nothing. He just let the players organise it, and from that day he could see who the natural leaders were. Selections since then have largely been based on those first impressions - form and injury notwithstanding. It's pretty obvious who the leaders were that day.

I feel sorry for Blair Cowan - he's been pretty much a regular choice for a couple of years now.

There is a serious lack of leaders in scotland set up. Think laidlaw will cost us a QF berth.

Granted but until there is an injury Hardy is pretty much havng to play every minute at openside with no recognised replacement is a big ask for what is (apart from Hooker and Scrum Half) one of the most important positions on the pitch. If he gets injured during the SA or Samoa games we are shafted as there wont be an openside to come on for him.

eta dont think Tonks is good enough either, but gives an option to cover fullback and Stand Off, but Jackson would have been a better option

Am I missing something- surely Ryan Wilson is cover at Openside?

Think the squad is decent. Laidlaw being captain is my concern. Would love to see Pyrgos start some games, think he's criminally underrated.

Decent effort from Scotland in Paris last night, just a pity they ballsed up what would almost certainly have been a match winning try late on when they were playing the last ten with Denton in the sin bin.

Do I dare suggest that Cotter has them coming good in time for the World Cup?

Edited by peasy23

Not sure to be honest. Some positive signs but same old Scotland at times in error count, penalty count, white line fever! The improvements at Glasgow and Cotter has trained us well, so we are a fit and decent good team but we need to get some Ws under our belts and cut the errors down.

I was pleased with the performance of the scrum 2nd half against a powerful French unit and we have genuine game changing players, particularly Mark Bennett who I think will be one of the finest centres to come out of Scotland.

David Denton though- that yellow card was as brainless as I have seen. And Matt Scott fecking up that certain try was painful.

This seasons Pro 12 final is at Murrayfield!

Great if either Glasgow or Edinburgh make the play offs as it gives them a massive incentive to make the final. I think Glasgow will struggle this season with the World cup and then six nations commitments of so many players.

I've tickets to the Scotland-Samoa and Scotland-USA games (and Italy-Canada the day before), quite looking forward to it.

Btw, I was looking at the schedule earlier and noticed Scotland-Japan is the only tie in the entire tournament in daytime on a weekday. Bit rubbish.

Could you tape it and avoid the score?

One rubbish thing with this tournament is it is on ITV. It's virtually impossible to watch anything on a mobile phone on there. Really poor service. Not sure if STV website/app are any better?

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Had a quick look at the fixtures and it is odd. Neither team plays the previous weekend and the Monday and Tuesday before are completely free.

Would've made more sense, and dawn a bigger gate, had they played it on Monday or Tuesday at 8pm.

Can only assume it's being played at half two to appeal to the Japanese TV audience?

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

Possibly. Might be due to them having 3 games that Wednesday and not wanting 2 on TV simultaneously, though Australia-Fiji could've been Tuesday or one game could've been another midweek. Japan play the Saturday before, us the Sunday after, i.e. Japan-Scotland has to be Wednesday.

There are only 4 weekends for the groups but 5 matchdays (each team sitting-out one). Thus 2 games in each group need to go midweek. There have been complaints at past tournaments over how the IRB arranges these... the schedule isn't randomly drawn as in football... especially for third seeds, and despite promises to improve things there remain anomalies.

They seem to have adjusted Group A so that England and Wales both play the 4 weekends - as a result Fiji have to play both midweeks. Presumably it's for UK TV... To boot, one of the Fijian's two 'weekend' games is actually on a Thursday. Coincidentally the Fijians were one of the ones complaining last time. They don't have a single Saturday or Sunday this time and they've got 4 day intervals on 2 occasions.

Edited by HibeeJibee