Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Spartans 3-0 Brora Rangers.

Pretty even in first 40 minutes but once Spartans scored from a stonewall penalty there was only going to be one winner. Second half was a procession. Pre season tradition of getting soaked continued as fairly chucked it down for most of second half.

IMG_9048.jpeg

IMG_9049.jpeg

IMG_9050.jpeg

Edited by Jute

7 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Threave Rovers 3-3 Clydebank

Combining my two origin stories, D&G (not the borders you heathens) and Clydebank for a first visit to the now 9th tier Threave in Castle Douglas. 

Nice drive down before meeting friends who are holidaying at Gatehouse for lunch. Afterwards a short drive down the Meadow Park.

What a stoater of a ground this is! I know it's skewed a bit as Threave adopted a license quite early but that this is in tier nine and Central Park Cowdenbeath was in tier two within the last decade is quite something. Decent sized stand with some covered standing opposite. Otherwise open standing but with both tarred and grass options.

Fantastic game of football. Clydebank scored early and most probably thought that was the flood gates opening but Threave equalise within 60 seconds and take the lead directly from a freekick shortly afterwards. Game swung back and forth but no winner was forthcoming. Our hopes of a 6-5 dashed still less than a pound a goal though. Cannie whack it. 

If you get the chance, Meadow Park should definitely be on your to do list. Fantastic ground, hopefully Threave can progress up the West Leagues and earn a place in the pyramid that their ground deserves.

20230708_152201.jpg

It used to be covered terracing but Threave did a good conversion job with some old Love Street seats to turn it into a nice wee stand. 

7 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It used to be covered terracing but Threave did a good conversion job with some old Love Street seats to turn it into a nice wee stand. 

Ah cool. Good to see the use of recycled seats. First time I'll have Sat in a seat from Love Street and not needed Oxygen!

12 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Ah cool. Good to see the use of recycled seats. First time I'll have Sat in a seat from Love Street and not needed Oxygen!

It was back in 2011- they had some left over... 

threave2.jpg.007527eec99c2c43a14d983d79768eb4.jpg

Just now, tamthebam said:

It was back in 2011- they had some left over... 

threave2.jpg.007527eec99c2c43a14d983d79768eb4.jpg

One or two? They part of the infamous went to Cappielow but never got used seats?

7 minutes ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

One or two? They part of the infamous went to Cappielow but never got used seats?

I don't know. 

Edinburgh Leisure also took some for Meadowbank Stadium which you can see here (I'm in that photo too...)

meadowbank-stadium13317l.jpg.6b025431aac96e9538050808a2378eac.jpg

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I don't know. 

Edinburgh Leisure also took some for Meadowbank Stadium which you can see here (I'm in that photo too...)

meadowbank-stadium13317l.jpg.6b025431aac96e9538050808a2378eac.jpg

Come back old Meadowbank. All is forgiven

More pics from Kuopio. A 0-1 defeat for the home side, not helped by a 2nd minute red card. A strong, disciplined performance from Vaasa who grew into the game & controlled the 2nd half. Main Stand photo taken at half time when most of crowd disappeared for food & a beer garden which runs under the raised stand.

20230708_175144.jpg

20230708_174957.jpg

20230708_183641.jpg

Scone Thistle 2 Burrelton Rovers 1

A wet Farquharson Park, although the rain did wait for kick off before it started. Burrelton were the better side for the first 20 minutes, then Scone scored against the run of play. A soft goal just before half time put them 2 up at the break. Burrelton continued to play well and got a deserved goal in the 2nd half. 

A decent crowd for a wet Monday night. I was chatting with a Welsh groundhopper who had done a rough head count and he reckoned there were around 70 at the game.

20230710_215717.jpg

20230710_215740.jpg

20230710_215754.jpg

20230710_215807.jpg

20230710_215844.jpg

Edited by forfarton

Queen’s Park 0 Livingston 1.

Oh boy, did it rain out there tonight! I haven’t seen rain like that since Scotland last played at Hampden.

The new Lesser Hampden is a mix of the surprising and the frustrating. The one stand that has been built is actually very decent, no complaints at all about it.

To stare around the two and a half vacant ends with their assortment of skips, cabins and puddles was just to see the opportunity wasted here.

And the Presidential Palace over on the other side just looks hideous.

Doubt I’ll be back, not through choice, but because they flit again in only a couple of months and who knows what will become of Lesser thereafter.

IMG_7691.jpeg

IMG_7695.jpeg

IMG_7692.jpeg

Queen’s Park 0-1 Livingston 

Actually expected Lesser Hampden to be a lot worse than it was and if they were to do something with the space behind the goal and the bit next to the director’s box, could be a pretty decent wee ground.

Nice header from Bruce Anderson gave Livi the win in the end. QP could be a lot of fun this season - likely to score some beautiful goals (and concede some hilarious ones) as it seems they don’t fancy thumping the ball long too often. Not really much else to add on the game. 

Drive back was brutal in that monsoon. 

53BABDFE-3939-4808-AE35-F9DF231F434C.jpeg

61520CE9-AB62-419C-BA47-6D12FBE71739.jpeg

Edited by PSJ.84

Strathmiglo United 3-3 Lochgelly Albert

Tonight I went to the small but scenic village of Strathmiglo in Fife, a short drive across the Tay Road Bridge (which took longer than expected due to the works on the bridge though). The hosts play in the Kingdom of Fife AFA Premier Division. 

Early on in the game, the difference was clear as Lochgelly were clinical with their first 2 big chances and took a 2-0 lead. After the second goal, Strathmiglo got more into the game though. They scored the 2-1 later in the first half and were very much equal to their opponents for the rest of the game. In the second half they were close to equalising, but when Lochgelly scored their third it seemed like the game was decided. However, a wonderful goal straight from kick-off immediately reduced the defecit to 1 again. That goal was something special, the Lochgelly goalkeeper was slightly too far in front of his goal. The player taking the kick-off noticed that and immediately took a shot on goal, which was perfectly placed. It's very early in the season but this it will take some effort to beat this for "goal of the season". Late on, Strathmiglo got what they deserved for their hard work and managed to equalise.

A nice evening out, thankfully it stayed dry after awful weather during the day. The ground is nice with a lovely backdrop.

May be an image of 7 people, people playing American football, people playing football and grass

May be an image of 5 people and grass

May be an image of golf course and grass

May be an image of 13 people, people playing football, people playing American football and grass

May be an image of 6 people, people playing football, people playing American football and grass

May be an image of 11 people, Arthur's Seat and grass
Edited by Marten

Wishaw 2-4 Lesmahagow, 12/07/2023.

Well then. What a night.

Within ten minutes of kick-off Wishaw had gone a goal behind (to a penalty taken as I glimpsed through the fence on my way in) and had a man sent off for something he said to the referee after a disagreement over a marginal offside call. It was probably offside, but getting yourself sent off over it in a friendly is monumentally stupid. The move didn't even result in a goal.

Maybe the ref could have calmed it down instead of going for the red, but I don't know what was said.

Before half-time he had levelled the sides, with the visitors going down to ten for a bad tackle. It was probably a red card, but the ref wasted no time in getting the card out, seemingly delighted to even it up after the earlier fuss.

Among all this first-half drama, the visitors had taken a 3-1 lead. Both sides played some decent stuff at times, and it was a first half that flew past.

Second half was decent too, but the main entertainment was the primary school-age Wishaw ultras. At one point they threw a bottle of water at the Lesmahagow dugout. When someone threw it back out, it landed about five yards away from the weans on the grass. As one, the twenty or so of them threw themselves to the floor clutching their heads and started rolling about. Fucking tremendous stuff.

A further goal each left it as a very satisfying night. Six goals, two red cards, a bit of controversy. All for three quid.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by DoingThe42

18 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

Well then. What a night.

Within ten minutes of kick-off Wishaw had gone a goal behind (to a penalty taken as I glimpsed through the fence on my way in) and had a man sent off for something he said to the referee after a disagreement over a marginal offside call. It was probably offside, but getting yourself sent off over it in a friendly is monumentally stupid. The move didn't even result in a goal.

Maybe the ref could have calmed it down instead of going for the red, but I don't know what was said.

Before half-time he had levelled the sides, with the visitors going down to ten for a bad tackle. It was probably a red card, but the ref wasted no time in getting the card out, seemingly delighted to even it up after the earlier fuss.

Among all this first-half drama, the visitors had taken a 3-1 lead. Both sides played some decent stuff at times, and it was a first half that flew past.

Second half was decent too, but the main entertainment was the primary school-age Wishaw ultras. At one point they threw a bottle of water at the Lesmahagow dugout. When someone threw it back out, it landed about five yards away from the weans on the grass. As one, the twenty or so of them threw themselves to the floor clutching their heads and started rolling about. Fucking tremendous stuff.

A further goal each left it as a very satisfying night. Six goals, two red cards, a bit of controversy. All for three quid.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Tremendous, was going to come tonight but couldn't make it. Gutted

24 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

Well then. What a night.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I was there too. 

If they waited until full time and then asked people to pay what they thought the game was worth, they’d have made a fortune. 

I must’ve been standing quite near you at one point - we’ve both photographed the guy in the red jacket. 679F5DF3-4F6A-4C8E-B231-42D0598BC0BB.thumb.jpeg.c5d5b48d65f9ad8f6f7de35461b4d262.jpeg

Edited by ScottR96

On 09/07/2023 at 09:31, badgerthewitness said:

More pics from Kuopio. A 0-1 defeat for the home side, not helped by a 2nd minute red card. A strong, disciplined performance from Vaasa who grew into the game & controlled the 2nd half. Main Stand photo taken at half time when most of crowd disappeared for food & a beer garden which runs under the raised stand.

What took you to Kuopio? I've got lots of family in the area. My mother grew up in Maaninka, just a bit north of there.

KuPS are my Finnish team (everyone has one, right?!) My family spent a few months there towards the end of my time at primary school, and ended up playing for the KuPS youth team. Still even got the tracksuit many years down the line.

As a kid I was somewhere between crap and average in terms of football ability in Scottish terms, but the standard in Kuopio in the late 80s wasn't great, and I must admit that it was a bit of a buzz to play over there and look half decent.

Edited by Adamski

@AdamskiWe enjoyed our first visit to Finland last summer (Helsinki & Turku, we were looking for something different & had a great time). Realised we had barely scratched the surface so looked for other destinations this year, Kuopio seemed to tick all the boxes. 

A stunning place & I admit I'm jealous you have a strong connection to the area. Currently in Tampere which is completely different but amazing in its own right. Rapidly falling in love with Finland!

*wrong forum etc, will look for a thread on the Travel Forum.

Edited by badgerthewitness
Forgot to quote.

Civil Service Strollers 1-2 Falkirk (1-0 HT) @ Christie Gillies Park 🌱. Pre-season Friendly. 7.45pm. Lowland League Strollers competed well against their League One opponents 🆚 and led for the best part of an hour before conceding twice in the last 10 minutes. Crowd 415.

33ED3E02-32BE-4928-8FC9-477EAA492022.jpeg

AAF62552-68F6-4A36-9691-DBFCA0A825AC.jpeg

23C84F67-2438-4AC2-838A-8953CD6DE0C8.jpeg

Kippen 1-2 Balfron Rovers @ Kippen Sports Field 🌱. Forth & Endrick League. 7.30pm. The visitors came from a goal down to take a lead that was preserved with a last minute penalty save 🧤. Both sides reduced to 10 men 🔴 at 1-1. The rain did well to keep the 🐜 away. Crowd 50.

D09CA6FE-856E-4D50-A6F4-C91374E79AA4.jpeg

F78A1E4B-4B2E-43CF-9204-CEF21AF3726D.jpeg

46A36362-599F-4DFC-B235-868E4EAF7341.jpeg

Livingston 2-0 Queen of the South (1-0 HT) @ Toni Macaroni Arena 🍝. 3pm. Pre-season friendly on Saturday. The Premiership side scored after only 2 mins and missed a 1st half penalty. League 1 Queens came into it but Livi made it 2-0 midway through the 2nd half. Crowd 511.

302422A6-C99B-4988-9F4A-573B09450B4F.jpeg

0BB40413-F618-47F1-8AC0-277DF32E082B.jpeg

43D7AF00-BB02-4794-8961-832390043A79.jpeg