Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Finally ticked of Scotlands most northerly SPFL Ground and what a glorious day it was for football. A very scenic trip up from Edinburgh and back via Aberdeen and a trip to see the Cathedral as well. 

Elgin City V Queen of the South. 0-2. Attendance 517

Ticket £12

Programme and free teamsheet £2

A very comfortable win for QOS 10 man against a poor Elgin City. The visitors took control early on when Kieran McKechnoe cut inside on the left from a free kick to fire a fierce shot into the top corner from the edge of the box. QOS seemed happy to control the game as the hard working but limited Elgin team tried to get back into the game  it didn't work Murray Johnson in goal at all in the first half. 

The second half wasn't very exciting as the visitors kept in control, but their hopes were raised when Kyle McClelland received two quick bookings then a red with 19 minutes to go. Elgin were finally in with a chance, and they did create a great chance soon after when they won the ball in midfield and played it out to the left. A quick cross caught the QOS defence flat but the forward blazed his shot wide, when it was easier to score! 

QOS heeded the warning and after a few subs they scored the clincher on 89 minutes when Paul McKay rose high at the back post to head home from a corner. 

A well deserved victory to send home the (well over 100) fans from Dumfries happy. 

I do like Borough Briggs. A cracking ground. 

20230722_152642.jpg

20230722_145847.jpg

20230722_135834.jpg

Edinburgh Uni 3-4 Civil Service Strollers. Much closer game than I was expecting and the Students can consider themselves unlucky not to have got at least a draw. Really enjoyable day out despite the rain. Unlike Le Tout I went with carrot cake option which was brilliant as always. 

IMG_9073.jpeg

On 20/07/2023 at 11:52, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

JOG FC 

IMG_7734.jpeg

IMG_7733.jpeg

IMG_7728.jpeg

Been there for a charity game with some Dutch mates. Excellent facilities for that level & the club is run by a very friendly bunch of people.

Another one for Cowdenbeath 1-1 Montrose (4-5)

I thought the McAllister - Hester strike partnership for Montrose would be an absolute winner, but they really didn't work out today. No communication between them, not much link-up at all, and they provided little threat. Hester, especially, really struggled to get into the game. I'm seeing Montrose again next week, so I'll be curious to see how this develops. Montrose played well in short bursts, but it wasn't a great 90 minutes from them.

Cowden were pretty impressive, with McNab and Walker particular stand-outs for me. They pressed well when out of possession and looked quite handy getting forward, just lacking the final ball at times. Probably unlucky not to win in 90 minutes. Also good to see Andy Rodden getting a game for Cowdenbeath. Perhaps didn't quite get a fair crack of the whip at Clyde.

First time at Central Park for me, very enjoyable .

2.jpg

3.jpg

3a.jpg

4.jpg

Got to say, even before kick off, i was impressed by Galabank in general. Managed to get parked in the next street, Nice wee stadium, social club is a great addition and there is a good atmosphere in there. Also seems to double up as the club shop which i have absolutely no issue with. (the club leisure wear looked nice as well) Good choice of food at the kiosks as well. Decided to stand behind the goal for this one, which proved to be a mistake before kick off as one of the off target shots hit the back of the stand, bounced off the railing and caught me in the baws. 

Annan started the better side before Albion came into the game and had the better of the chances. A great curling shot from the edge of the box, a fantastic one on one save and then save from the rebound by Fleming. He definitely kept them in it first half and just before half time, Annan took the lead. I missed the goal as Someone went down injured and i was checking the rest of the scores and i just heard the cheer.  1-0 at half time. Second half, a few chances for each team before an absolute sitter from a Galloway cross, Goss missed an open goal. Albion took full advantage not long after, a mistake by Gibson allowed Prince in to tuck the equaliser past Fleming. A few moments later, Prince managed to get first to a 50/50 ball as fleming ran out and knocked it across to Joseph to slot in to an unguarded net. Overall a good start to getting the long journeys out the road. 
Annan 1 Albion 2. 
Tickets £12 each

993FCB5F-A63E-4BF9-9E5E-4FD5D4381C17.jpeg

6C0BC038-B9B7-4A9A-A31F-5D814C1C5B21.jpeg

1039A043-7368-4290-9384-EDAC78B42D65.jpeg

Edited by buchan30

6 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Got to say, even before kick off, i was impressed by Galabank in general. Managed to get parked in the next street, Nice wee stadium, social club is a great addition and there is a good atmosphere in there. Also seems to double up as the club shop which i have absolutely no issue with. (the club leisure wear looked nice as well) Good choice of food at the kiosks as well. Decided to stand behind the goal for this one, which proved to be a mistake before kick off as one of the off target shots hit the back of the stand, bounced off the railing and caught me in the baws. 

Annan started the better side before Albion came into the game and had the better of the chances. A great curling shot from the edge of the box, a fantastic one on one save and then save from the rebound by Fleming. He definitely kept them in it first half and just before half time, Annan took the lead. I missed the goal as Someone went down injured and i was checking the rest of the scores and i just heard the cheer.  1-1 at half time. Second half, a few chances for each team before an absolute sitter from a Galloway cross, Goss missed an open goal. Albion took full advantage not long after, a mistake by Gibson allowed Prince in to tuck the equaliser past Fleming. A few moments later, Prince managed to get first to a 50/50 ball as fleming ran out and knocked it across to Joseph to slot in to an unguarded net. Overall a good start to getting the long journeys out the road. 

A smashing venue.

My first trip there was for this fixture but in the league. Annan won 4-1 back in 2010/11.

Pleased to see Rovers seeming in fine fettle. Probably the best team to finish bottom of the 42 so far (damning with faint praise, I know) and I'll be keeping an eye on them this season.

Where's next?

5 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Was impressed by The Wee Rovers, was expecting them to be a bit rubbish considering what i had read on here, but Clark seems to have them well organised. 

Last season they were a really weird team. Seemed to play well most weeks but lose narrowly, then occasionally absolutely shoe someone 4 or 5-1. I didn't believe they'd go down until it was officially confirmed. They just never seemed bad enough.

They've lost Charlie Reilly, who was probably the best player in the division, to Dundee. So, a challenge to rebuild.

14 minutes ago, DoingThe42 said:

A smashing venue.

Where's next?

Sorry, missed the bit at the bottom of the post asking where next. You are right, Galabank is a smashing wee venue and if anyone is going here, get down early and take in the social club. 
Next on the list is the penny carrs for Airdrie V Raith. One i have been to, but my mate hasn’t. 

Edited by buchan30

57 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Got to say, even before kick off, i was impressed by Galabank in general. Managed to get parked in the next street, Nice wee stadium, social club is a great addition and there is a good atmosphere in there. Also seems to double up as the club shop which I have absolutely no issue with. (the club leisure wear looked nice as well) Good choice of food at the kiosks as well. Decided to stand behind the goal for this one, which proved to be a mistake before kick off as one of the off target shots hit the back of the stand, bounced off the railing and caught me in the baws. 

Annan started the better side before Albion came into the game and had the better of the chances. A great curling shot from the edge of the box, a fantastic one on one save and then save from the rebound by Fleming. He definitely kept them in it first half and just before half time, Annan took the lead. I missed the goal as Someone went down injured and i was checking the rest of the scores and i just heard the cheer.  1-0 at half time. Second half, a few chances for each team before an absolute sitter from a Galloway cross, Goss missed an open goal. Albion took full advantage not long after, a mistake by Gibson allowed Prince in to tuck the equaliser past Fleming. A few moments later, Prince managed to get first to a 50/50 ball as fleming ran out and knocked it across to Joseph to slot in to an unguarded net. Overall a good start to getting the long journeys out the road. 
Annan 1 Albion 2. 
Tickets £12 each

Planning Galabank for next Saturday. Booked trains and match ticket. Only for trains to be cancelled because of strike action. Now have to work out how I'm getting to Annan from Edinburgh 🤔

Only need Annan, Queen's Park (Lesser Hampden, which will be on Tuesday) and Inverness (September) to complete the 42. Galabank seems to be the one that is frustratingly alluding me 😦. As I've had two other attempts cancelled for the same reason.

Edited by atfccfc
Spelling

34 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

Planning Galabank for next Saturday. Booked trains and match ticket. Only for trains to be cancelled because of strike action. Now have to work out how I'm getting to Annan from Edinburgh 🤔

Only need Annan, Queen's Park (Lesser Hampden, which will be on Tuesday) and Inverness (September) to complete the 42. Galabank seems to be the one that is frustratingly alluding me 😦. As I've had two other attempts cancelled for the same reason.

That is a pisser. Seen a few Raith fans had plans to do the train journey down as well. That is still good going and gives you the whole season to try and find a time to do it.

What’s been your least favourite and favourite stadium? 

5 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

That is a pisser. Seen a few Raith fans had plans to do the train journey down as well. That is still good going and gives you the whole season to try and find a time to do it.

What’s been your least favourite and favourite stadium? 

Yeah, been in touch with a couple of Raith supporters clubs, one has a full bus and a few fans on reserve if they can get an extra bus. Looks like if they get the numbers then it's a possibility. 

I started back in 1988. So a few of the older grounds are crackers. Old Rugby Park, Cappielow, Brockville, Somerset Park. Grounds with history and character are my favourites. Cappielow stands out for me. A real beauty.

Not a fan of the newer builds like Almondvale, New Broomfield, Mcdairmid Park, new Bayview and Dumbartons. Very dull and no Character. 

28 minutes ago, atfccfc said:

Yeah, been in touch with a couple of Raith supporters clubs, one has a full bus and a few fans on reserve if they can get an extra bus. Looks like if they get the numbers then it's a possibility. 

I started back in 1988. So a few of the older grounds are crackers. Old Rugby Park, Cappielow, Brockville, Somerset Park. Grounds with history and character are my favourites. Cappielow stands out for me. A real beauty.

Not a fan of the newer builds like Almondvale, New Broomfield, Mcdairmid Park, new Bayview and Dumbartons. Very dull and no Character. 

Fingers crossed you get something sorted. I was the same, used to follow Raith away from home quite a lot in the mid 90s, so i have been to quite a few of them already that i will have to repeat. Absolutely agree with places like Almondvale and New Bayview. I think Mcdairmid would be a better stadium if it had bigger crowds. I really like Brockville, don’t know if it was being closer to the pitch and you can hear all the shouts etc. i once heard someone shout at Kirkcaldy ref, John Rowbotham in a quite sinister tone, “i know where you live”. I questioned him about this years later, and he said it was his brother in law that shouted it.

I am going back to meadowbank for the first time since the early 90s in November and not really looking forward to seeing how much it has changed since then after seeing the pictures on here. Another place that i loved, purely for the novelty of it having the commonwealth scoreboard there. 

Edited by buchan30

8 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

Fingers crossed you get something sorted. I was the same, used to follow Raith away from home quite a lot in the mid 90s, so i have been to quite a few of them already that i will have to repeat. Absolutely agree with places like Almondvale and New Bayview. I think Mcdairmid would be a better stadium if it had bigger crowds. I really like Brockville, don’t know if it was being closer to the pitch and you can hear all the shouts etc. i once heard someone shout at Kirkcaldy ref, John Rowbotham in a quite sinister tone, “i know where you live”. I questioned him about this years later, and he said it was his brother in law that shouted it.

I am going back to meadowbank for the first time since the early 90s in November and not really looking forward to seeing how much it has changed since then after seeing the pictures on here. Another place that i loved, purely for the novelty of it having the commonwealth scoreboard there. 

I've Meadowbank on Wednesday (I class it as a revisit rather than a first time visit, despite it being completely different). Seen both Meadowbank Thistle and Edinburgh City play home games there.

Dunbar utd 4 Newcastle Benfield 3 (ht 2-2). Decent PSF with Benfield scoring in the first minute and looking very strong but Dunny came back in and were helped early in the 2nd half when the Benfield skipper was given a straight red for an elbow. Some clownish defending on each side and a couple of terrific goals.

Impressed with the new stand, far better than the usual dross that gets thrown up at wee clubs. Really, really excellent Scotch Pie.
Got the train down and was very generously chauffeured back by @tamthebam. Lubricants by the Volunteer Arms and the Station Yard Micropub.

IMG_8545.thumb.JPG.0282c76e3d8e9c20a3372cf4a2cf5c57.JPG

IMG_8548.thumb.JPG.c25839695a7407559830b553e764aae5.JPG

IMG_8553.thumb.JPG.38ad396829f47051e2b802326ec4c08e.JPG

Charles Cane Reserve, Prospect, South Australia for BOSA v Pitbulls in SA Amateur League Premier B Division (aka reserves). BOSA in the stripes. This was the third of four games on the pitch. The C2s (mainly U18 but no age limit) in Division 7 kicked off at 9am, C at 11am (Premier C Division), this one at 1pm and the main game at 3pm (Premier A Division). Canteen with bar had been open since 9am, bottles of Peroni or cans of Pirate Life at $8. Didn’t stay very long as had only stopped off over the road to buy some beer from 

IMG_9618.jpeg

IMG_9619.jpeg

BOSA won 4-0 in A Div, lost 0-2 in C Div and won 4-2 in Div 7. Ground is 4 mins drive from home, there is a closer one used by a team in the SA Sunday Amateur League. Having 3 or 4 games on the same ground each match day is usual at this level and also for most NPL clubs in Australia. 

IMG_9620.jpeg

Edited by Eednud

Sunday 23/7/2023. Kirknewton 4 Burnside AFC (Broxburn) 4. A right good game between two LEAFA sides with a decent second half rammy. Pies back at the Village Hall were superb.IMG_8554copy.thumb.JPG.5282ee1023e8f37d57382b54b14f1cd6.JPG

R5__0991.thumb.JPG.5e40d19f055eb9c9b152dc189b4155ca.JPG

R5__1073.thumb.JPG.e6bf321efbd06ab090403d85925734c0.JPG

R5__1049.thumb.JPG.07a2697641f91a60c1eb020d50e6bdbd.JPG

Edited by The Mantis