Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Clachnacuddin 2-2 Deveronvale 

We started again at zero when we officially took up Groundhopping in February 22 and today is our 100th ground. Decided to do something a bit different so took the train to Inverness for some Highland League action.

Lovely journey up and then it biblically pished as soon as we started walking over. Arrive at quarter past two and are glared at like we'd two heads by a couple of blazers for wanting in. Wee bit of customer relations training would be helpful lads. After a pie that had that soggy a bottom that Mary Berry would have been pishing her frillies. We took our places suitably drookit and crabbit.

Thoroughly enjoyable game once it got started. Frenetic, just the way we like it. Two early goals looked to have put the Banffers on easy street but a calculated finish got Clach back in it. The only disappointment was nobody scored after for a while after that. Well, Clach did but the referee, obviously unfamiliar with the advantage rule (a joke Craigkille, calm doon) blew for a freekick as the goal went in. Justice was finally served with a 90th minute equaliser.

I like Grant Street Park. Very walkable from Inverness Station and very pleasant once the sun finally came out. They may have 18 Highland League Titles but there won't be a 19th coming anytime soon.

20230812_151521.jpg

20230812_161650.jpg

20230812_154715.jpg

Culter 6-2 Buchanhaven Hearts. First half was pretty close with Culter taking a 2-0 lead before being pegged back to 2-2 then getting 2nd of their 3 penalties to lead 3-2 at half time. Second half was much more 1 sided with Culter running away it. Great entertainment for £6. 

IMG_9113.jpeg

IMG_9114.jpeg

IMG_9115.jpeg

Edited by Jute

Raydale Park for Gretna 2008 V Albion Rovers. HT 0-0 FT 0-4. Attendance around 200?!

Ticket on the gate £8 programme £2 teamsheet free.

A poor first half which seen Albion Rovers control the match but not look particularly dangerous, as they were too static up front which made defending look easy for a Gretna side which had conceded 25 goals in four games. They hit a post was the only chance of note. Gretna looked awful though and seemed happy enough to soak up pressure. They didn't help themselves when Ronan Kearney was booked for a foul only to receive a red card seconds later. For what I don't know!? 

Albion Rovers manager Sandy Clark wasn't a happy man at half time. The second half though started with a more determined Albion Rovers (must have got a kick in the arse at half time!)

Joe Bevan picked the ball up on the right wing at ran at the Gretna defence before finishing well inside the 6 yard box. This relaxed Rovers and they soon scored a second from the penalty spot for a push in the box as a cross came in. I'm not sure why the referee only booked the defender as he made no attempt to play the ball?

Niyah Joseph scored the penalty. 

Number three and four where scored by Barry Duncan. The first was a wonderful left footed free kick into the top corner from 20ish yards. The second and final goal was a left footed shot from 2 yard after good play on the right wing again, and was the final touch of the game. 

Albion Rovers looked decent once they settled down, Gretna are in for a long hard season. Not helped by their lack of discipline at times. 

An impressive away following from Albion Rovers of 60/70+ fans down from Coatbridge. 

Had a nice lunch and pint at the Gretna Inn just 10 minutes walk from Raydale Park.

20230812_142505.jpg

20230812_165207.jpg

20230812_143914.jpg

Avonmouth F.C make their Glos County Lge debut v Sharpness (nr Gloucester) Decent set up, already have lights installed, not a bad clubhouse. I arrived dead on k.o due to my exhaust falling off, but an enjoyable game which looked destined for 1-1 until two late goals sealed the win in front of 142 (£2) Inc prog until they run out. ft 3-1 for last season's Bristol & Suburban Lge champions.IMG_20230812_1911392.thumb.jpg.2e341602cc0787381df3d75d08e7821d.jpg20230812_151909.thumb.jpg.d334a20f84caae6bfab25dfaf19386b5.jpg

On 08/08/2023 at 23:03, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

God bless you translate button!

IMG_8134.png

Good old shit translations from Google. 🤣

He is a good friend of mine, all those games in the Forth & Endrick League (bar one) I did with him. So I'm not the only mad Dutchman living in Scotland who is obsessed with low level football over here.

10 hours ago, Eric's Cantina said:

Kilsyth Athletic 5

Lesmahagow 4

Quite possibly the most basic "ground" in the wosfl, however the game itself was rather entertaining.

Added bonus that I got charged a child's price for going in . £3 fof 9 goals , can't complain about that.

20230812_143524.jpg

Shave and a school tie. Works every time

Abbey Vale 0 Cupar Hearts 5

I always like a wee visit to the South West, it's quite pretty down there. 

Despite a bright start Abbey Vale couldn't cope with an experienced Cupar side, including man of many Junior clubs, Lee Sibanda. There was a good support down from Cupar in the crowd of 153 and they now face a trickier tie against Jeanfield Swifts. 

av4.thumb.jpg.6d92fab2827493ac0826258b82cce569.jpg

lost Talbot fan.. 

av6.thumb.jpg.52258eabbb7bba1e67e83b1caa38feda.jpg

av29.thumb.jpg.3da802d973ae13a10ac0f100b87e1bd3.jpg

Rescuing a ball.. 

av43.jpg.b6b0c07a9f4982248542f9eb65e9b07c.jpg

2nd Cupar goal startles a spectator! 

• Loved the luncarty photos and the original idea of having two goalmouths at one end, gives the sub gk some interest in the game I guess. Hope the ultra's didn't delay any trains !
4 hours ago, forfarton said:

Luncarty 3 Loch Ness 1

Scottish Cup Preliminary Round One 

Fair result although could easily have been more goals. Love the Loch Ness away kit.

20230813_091940.jpg

20230813_092003.jpg

20230813_092030.jpg

20230813_092105.jpg

4 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:
  • Loved the luncarty photos and the original idea of having two goalmouths at one end, gives the sub gk some interest in the game I guess. Hope the ultra's didn't delay any trains !

Didn't check if they matched the timetable but if there were any train delays then they were purely down to ScotRail.

Campbelltown City 2 Macarthur FC 1 at Steve Woodcock Sports Reserve, Campbelltown, South Australia in the Australia Cup Round of 32. Att: 947. Campbelltown City finished runners-up in the SA NPL playing their last league game last Friday night. The club is 60:years old this year and to help celebrate they’ve knocked out the Cup holders from the A-League. Not a classic game but 2 great goals for the home side, especially the second. Macarthur only really threatened in the last 10 minutes when City started to tire. Great to attend a cup upset.

IMG_9672.jpeg

IMG_9677.jpeg

IMG_9680.jpeg

Cumbernauld United 0-2 Bonnyton Thistle 

Another local one for us tonight in the West Second. Having seen a Bonnyton game with seven goals in it a few weeks ago we were expecting goals.

Trust me to open my big mooth. A lacklustre game that was settled with a scrappy goal just before half time. A clincher coming with 15 to play.

I know I'm biased but Guy's Meadow really is a hidden gem of a ground. Fantastic wooded setting (yes in Cumbernauld). Friendly folk and a good bar if you're into that kind of thing. Cumbernauld won their opening four games and they will hope this first league loss isn't a sign of things to come. 

20230816_194551.jpg

20230816_194026.jpg

IMG-20230816-WA0002.jpg

15 hours ago, Autistisches Nilpferd said:

Cumbernauld United 0-2 Bonnyton Thistle 

Another local one for us tonight in the West Second. Having seen a Bonnyton game with seven goals in it a few weeks ago we were expecting goals.

Trust me to open my big mooth. A lacklustre game that was settled with a scrappy goal just before half time. A clincher coming with 15 to play.

I know I'm biased but Guy's Meadow really is a hidden gem of a ground. Fantastic wooded setting (yes in Cumbernauld). Friendly folk and a good bar if you're into that kind of thing. Cumbernauld won their opening four games and they will hope this first league loss isn't a sign of things to come. 

20230816_194551.jpg

20230816_194026.jpg

IMG-20230816-WA0002.jpg

I loved my visit to Cumbernauld United when I went there in the 2nd half of last season. As you say, very friendly people there. Lovely ground/surrounding, nice bar, definitely worth a visit.

Hearts 3 Rosenborg 1 (Hearts 4-3 agg). Att 17942 (sold out?! and not a spare seat to be seen?!)

Ticket £20 programme £3.50.

Absolutely cracking match and atmosphere at Tynecastle for this Europa Conference league qualifier. Though Hearts started with a wimper they certainly finished it with aplomb!

Rosenborg scored in the fourth minute after Zander Clarke made a good save but Hearts failed to clear their lines and Rosenborg scored. But Jearts came roaring back in a very entertaining and open game. A ball was played over the top to Shankland and he fired past the Norwegian goalkeeper to level on the night. Both teams continued to look for goals but it stayed at 1-1 at half time. 

Hearts started the second half much better than the first when in 50 minutes Rosenborgs keeper made a great save only for the ball to fall to the impressive Cameron Devlin who fired a fierce shot home on the angle! Level on aggregate the game was really on a knife edge. But in the second of seven minutes injury time at the end Cameron Devlin shot from the edge of the box, a deflection took it past the goalkeeper to send the Hearts fans mental! Rosenborg had one last chance to take it to extra time but Zander Clark stood tall and tipped the shot over the bar. 

A deserved win for Hearts.

20230817_205333.jpg

20230817_194410.jpg

20230817_194407.jpg

On 12/08/2023 at 17:17, Jute said:

Culter 6-2 Buchanhaven Hearts. First half was pretty close with Culter taking a 2-0 lead before being pegged back to 2-2 then getting 2nd of their 3 penalties to lead 3-2 at half time. Second half was much more 1 sided with Culter running away it. Great entertainment for £6. 

IMG_9113.jpeg

IMG_9114.jpeg

IMG_9115.jpeg

Cracking setting.