Random Matches You Are Going To...

Haitch

Glasgow Perthshire 4-2 Vale of Clyde

First competitive action of the season and we're back with a bang.

I was here once before several million years ago and they've done a good job with the the place. Still grass, still in Possil but hey, more pleasurable than Ashfield.

Last season's Third Division title winning Tin Pail turn out in a vile red and gold effort and start brighter than the hosts and score early. Perthshire equalise and then take the lead at before half time. Shire score a wonder goal and Vale score a penalty to keep the game swinging back and forward. Game quietened down and Shire clinch the win with a late penalty.

The referee is destined for the big time. Blowing for every coming together and loved telling players and benches how important he is. Vale player sent off for calling him a bounder. That type of clown.* Even looks a bit like Willie Collum. Premiership (and I don't mean the West) in 5 years. 

The strip the surroundings and the fans reminded me of another Shire and the dearly missed Firs Park. It's more basic than that but there are similarities. Again worth a look. Shire another Glasgow "Junior" club with young kids going mental. Brilliant stuff.

*to be fair to him. Quite rightly sent off after using a derogatory term that rhymes with the second word of Table Tennis. Only heard that in the West of Scotland. I know a lot of footballers are dim but that is particularly shite of him.

20230802_203925.jpg

20230802_202341.jpg

20230802_203302.jpg

Larkhall Thistle 2-3 Maryhill

West of Scotland Football League Division 2

Attendance - approx. 150.

My first Larky game for a couple of seasons and two individual errors from newly promoted Thistle gifted this one to Maryhill.

The visitors raced into a two goal lead early doors in the first half, their first goal came via an outstanding defence splitting pass from one their midfielders which the number 9 slotted away nicely and the second the Larky keeper got caught pissing about on the ball and Maryhill’s number 9 took advantage for his second of the night. 

Larky pulled one back in the second half but that didn’t last long after a short pass back was intercepted and Maryhill put away their third of the night.

Larky got a late consolation in injury time but Maryhill never looked like losing this one. Their number 3, 4 and 9 stood out for me tonight. 

I can see myself catching a game at the Gasworks Park more often this season given how pish Clyde are on and off the park and the fact Larky are five minutes down the road!

IMG_2290.jpeg

IMG_2293.jpeg

IMG_2296.jpeg

Edited by BullyWeeStonehouse

Pumas UNAM 0-1 Querétaro, 03/08/23

It’s the first knockout round of the Leagues Cup, a newish tournament consisting of all of the teams in MLS and Liga MX, which is being played exclusively in the United States. The US capital hosted a game between Mexican clubs Pumas UNAM and Queretaro tonight which I headed along to.

Pumas had taken a big away support to their 3-0 win at DC United on Saturday -  a match with an announced attendance of 14,599 - including supporters clubs from across the US. So of course the people running US/North American soccer had decided to wait to announce the date and location of the games in the next round until the day after that DC United match, making travel basically impossible for anyone with a job or anyone not made of money. They also decided to open only half of the stadium, keeping the pricing the same as for your run of the mill DC United game, but hadn’t opened the cheapest sections of the ground. They also decided to play the game at the same time that local team DC United were playing up in Philadelphia.

So all of those factors led to an attendance which was probably about the same as a decent sized Scottish League 2 crowd. I truly believe that if the people that run US/North American football met even the very low bar of the SPFL’s understanding of football supporters then the global football landscape would look very different in 2023. This tournament is now essentially being marketed as the Lionel Messi show - replays of Inter Miami games appear above live games on the Apple TV listings - so they seem to have basically chucked any plan for any sort of engagement with the local Mexican community. They did still manage to play the US national anthem - but not the Mexican one - for reasons of patriotism, I guess.

Anyway, there was still a very vocal, if quite small, Pumas support and a smaller, but still decent, Queretaro support along with fans of other Mexican teams and gringos such as myself in attendance. I know nothing about Queretaro but they are a team from a relatively small city not too far from Mexico City and Ronaldinho played for them for a bit, apparently. Pumas are one of the three big teams in Mexico City and were originally the university team of National Autonomous University of Mexico. They’re still owned by the university but are run separately nowadays. They’ve also got one of the best badges in football.

It was a decent game between two decent teams. Pumas were the better team for much of the game until Queretaro took the lead through a very good goal in the 74th minute. Their keeper then saved a penalty a couple of minutes later and they managed to comfortably see out the game from there. They'll head up to the middle of nowhere in Massachusetts to play New England Revolution in the next round which will take place sometime early next week.

63320708-728b-4c21-8769-9b6fe2763ea6.thumb.jpg.7398f3803533e4c262c4431dab0b4e80.jpg

Went down to Easter Road for the Hibernian V Inter Clube D'Escaldes game. 6-1 win for Hibs. Much better from Hibs last night, in an attacking sense, after the debacle of the first leg and a throughly open and entertaining game to watch. Though I worry about Hibs defensively as they made the Andorrians look better than they actually were at times. 

Some good goals but also some comical goals too. A bit of concern too on the injury front as two of the three goalkeepers Marshall and Wollacott injured before and during the match. Hopefully nothing too serious. 

Good nights work for Hibs. But they'll have to tighten up for the Luzern matches. 

20230803_195055.jpg

20230803_202531.jpg

Trip South today to Sanquhar to make a rare visit to the mysterious and exotic South of Scotland League. 

Nithsdale Wanderers v Lochar Thistle, via the Crawick Multiverse. An unusual combination, but in a multiverse anything is feasible I would suppose.

I’ve noticed that I stand at the very border between the South and the West leagues. Kello Rovers are a mere three miles away.

The trip down on the funfair style B740 from Abington was a delight for my nerves. Might be the narrowest dual carriageway of them all, and I’m well used to country roads. Jeezo.

Decent game so far. Wanderers leading 2-0 at HT, which seems to offer an upset given they finished at opposite ends of the table last season.

Lorimer Park is austere. Two dugouts and a couple of ropes strung up inside the four lane athletics track. Wee clubhouse which seems to have more punters inside than watching the game. Crowd is about 40.

The last pie went to the chap in front of me in the queue, and some would allege he only gained that place ahead of me in a somewhat underhand manner (i.e. he pushed past me like a Morningside auntie at the Jenners linen sale). But other than hoping he chokes on his delicious looking pie, I don’t bear a grudge.

Only £4 to get in, so I have no complaints. Good day out!

IMG_8118.jpeg

IMG_8123.jpeg

IMG_8125.jpeg

Wishaw 2-5 Bonnyton Thistle

Not straying too far today given the weather so semi local at the Beltane.

The hosts start stronger in the heavy rain and should have been at least a goal up before a counter attack sees the wee team in Kilmarnock ahead. After which it is almost constant pressure and the three nil half time lead reflects this. A fourth added after half time looks to have completed the humping. Wishy get a goal back and briefly give the home side some hope but a penalty with 15 to go ruled any faint hope of a dramatic come back.

Basic ground. Grass pitch, metal fences, wooden barriers and some portakabins but a fine way to spend a wet Saturday afternoon. Limited cover if you don't have a brolly.

Bonnyton will be looking to halt a slide after two consecutive relegations. Based on large parts of this match they'll be looking to get promoted this year.

20230805_142833.jpg

20230805_144134.jpg

20230805_152850(0).jpg

Today's game isn't really random. But I decided to post a Celtic game for once. Please don't shoot me.. 

I managed to get a ticket for the Ross County match today (£30) Programme £3.50.

Ross County started off really well as they took the game to Celtic and really should have taken the lead at least once before a sloppy and distracted Celtic side some how managed to take the lead after 17 minutes when David Turnbull scored a penalty after Greg Taylor was tripped in the box. Ross County probaly felt aggreved after they had a shout for their own penalty. Liel Abada set up Kyogo for a second and just before half time Turnbull scored a third after a mix up in the 6 uard box. The score flattered Celtic in my opinion and was very Harsh on Ross County who contributed so much to the game. Celtic appeared a bit flat and not particularly secure at the back.

The second half started much the same, after last seasons attack at all times. Celtic appeared to be more negative in their approach. Ross County kept going and got a deserved goal when Jordan White scored on the hour, Matt O'Riley made it 4-1 on 71 minutes. Ross County got another goal through Brown with the last kick of the ball to make it 4-2. An entertaining game, but the scoreline didn't reflect the game. Ross County played well. Celtic have work to do. 

20230805_122654.jpg

20230805_121234.jpg

20230805_130758.jpg

Arbroath 0-4 Dundee United
Quite one-sided, especially in the first half. It was already 0-4 at half time. Good to see Bobby Linn saying his goodbyes to the home support at half time, seen him again today but on the pitch putting on another great shift for Lochee United. I do love Gayfield as a ground, the weather made it considerably more pleasant last night compared to my last trip there!

365431724_128946320265104_7931983757039494907_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=zlY9_6gDjTcAX-4WHS8&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla3-1.fna&oh=00_AfBNLeLSj3ncTXIREUM6aV1V5QJChal0ilTnzDKWkuyW3Q&oe=64D2875F

365405032_128946356931767_478481609852671138_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=107&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=-eSExe687qYAX_PyrCE&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla3-2.fna&oh=00_AfCLaWehOQW0ewfrL6K06MisHrs4p1HuF9JKQqBSkUjQ-w&oe=64D3ADCC

365436882_128946403598429_6582353824604112588_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=8TP5qDms4QQAX-3gE_h&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla3-2.fna&oh=00_AfCV3Bf6Fjz4JH1raNldWxcqP4b2VnlYzBKjLoeyOrjuaQ&oe=64D37068

365458790_128946490265087_3009692255422767335_n.jpg?stp=dst-jpg_s600x600&_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=cSi_thl4eq8AX-5XKjw&_nc_ht=scontent.fgla3-2.fna&oh=00_AfCgn8v-CwWVtDhPNB6Ps1HaCGb0B3vCxfaw47bCfr1uFg&oe=64D42E32

Western LGE Div 1 at Bristol Road : Portishead (nr Clevedon & Weston) v Odd Down (Bath) £6 prog £1 after wasting a first half hatful of chances, the young hosts turned on the style with some excellent football and good goals.Looked like they're enjoying playing, nice to see, while the visitors looked totally disjointed. Portishead 6-0 att 107. 20230805_151639.thumb.jpg.afbbdc84668d880ecc17941920d05398.jpgIMG_20230805_193157.thumb.jpg.f1136f8cf97edfe9505a7d0eef855512.jpg

Spartans 1-1 Clyde, League Two, 05/08/23.

Topped up my Lifetime 42 by getting to the new boys to see the BW kick off the league season. And just like when I came to Edinburgh to see Clyde play Spartans 24 years ago, it's a 1-1 draw.

A really good first half from Clyde, and the BW deservedly led at half-time through Rennie's header midway through the half. Clyde hadn't made loads of chances, but controlled the game for the most part and looked like a functioning fitba team. Anyone who has watched Clyde for the last year or so will know what high praise that is.

Second half Clyde invited pressure, which was disappointing. After Spartans equalised through Dishington Clyde came back to life a bit and could have nicked it, but a draw was probably fair overall.

Got to be honest, I'd expected more from Spartans. Didn't think they showed much. With Clyde about to start throwing THE BIG BUCKS around, I'm relatively positive after seeing that today.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Pollok 3-3 Kirkintilloch Rob Roy

By my reckoning this is my 6th 6+ goal game in 9 visits to Newlandsfield.

Pollok will be kicking themselves about this one though. 3-1 with 10 minutes to go and cruising, but made a load of subs which I think upset the tempo and the next thing we knew it was 3-3. Even at that Pollok had a chance to make it 4-3 that I’d have fancied myself to score more often than not - rattled the bar with a proper sitter.

I mentioned my Finnish connections on this thread recently. We’ve got family from Finland visiting at the moment, and we all went along today. Not often you hear a Finnish song played at a Scottish football ground, so bonus points to Pollok for playing the Finnish Eurovision entry at half time, and picking today to do it.

No photos though, unfortunately.

A trip downsouth to see Sunderland 1 Ipswich Town 2 at the Stadium of Light yesterday.

A very good game which is not always the case with English football.  A great view in the Main stand upper.

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 21.45.15.png

Linton Hotspur 0 Pumpherston 5 HT.

A relentlessly one-sided blue and white hooped tide as the home team took the game to the visitors…

Until the Pumpherston keeper saved that 1st minute penalty, before Pumpherston stole upfield to score five breakaway goals.

A dismal affair! Crowd is about 100, most of whom must have a longer journey home than me, for once. Huzzah!

Half tempted to head home and make a start on a new book and crack open a dram to salvage a bit of the night, but also half tempted to stay here for the macabre interest of whether Pumpherston can hit 10. I suspect so, so I’m here until the grim finale!

FT 0-7.

IMG_8129.jpeg

IMG_8130.jpeg

Edited by Le Tout P'ti FC

Dundonald Bluebell 3-0 Edinburgh United 

Comfortable win in the end for the (much changed?) hosts, although they did make hard work of it. Edinburgh United were really dangerous on the break in the first half and on another day could’ve been a couple of goals up heading into half time. 

Getting to that time of the year where two layers might not be enough. Pretty chilly last night. 

9DB1FEA4-612B-400F-98B0-EB3E7BB46886.jpeg

Newtongrange Star 0 West Calder United 1.

One of those stodgy cup ties where you start checking your phone after ten minutes to try to find out whether there was a risk of Extra Time.

I’ll wake up tomorrow and probably struggle to recall any details about this game. There was one exceptional save by the West Calder goalie which prove to be one of the very few chances for Star.

Even the Star goalie coming up for some late corners never broke out into much in the way of excitement.

West Calder rumble through to the next round.

IMG_8137.jpeg

Leith Athletic 2-1 Kinnoull. Entertaining cup tie under the Friday night lights at Meadowbank. Kinnoull were slightly the better team in first half and probably deserved to be more than second 1-0 up at half time. Second half Leith came out the blocks quicker and equalised almost right away. Leith then had the goal scorer sent off for a tackle that looked pretty innocuous from where I was sitting. Thought the red card would hand the game to Kinnoull but it seemed to galvanise Leith and while both sides had chances Leith had the better and definitely deserved their late winner. Really enjoyable game just a pity there was only about 80 there to watch it. 

20C45007-7283-4450-9FD7-20700F1501D7.jpeg

IMG_9111.jpeg

Edited by Jute